Super League

jamescolin

The next step for sky will be to convince the two rugby codes to come together again and meet half way with the rules to get the big city clubs in one league. It sounds like scaremongering but watch this space.

An hybrid game was tried in Scotland. They dropped the two extra men in the scrum, had play the balls like in RL but kept the line outs. Don't know what came of it.

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not so sure sidnee, apart from maybe one other club i think SL will only let in "expansion" clubs after the next round of licenses. We all know Toulouse will get in at one SL clubs expense, after that it'll be the likes of Dublin, Glasgow, Birmingham.

I wonder what will happen if some rich bloke decides to buy one of the franchised clubs and move them lock stock and barrel to say Leicester. It has happened in American football and in ice hockey which use a system very like our own.

A pooper scooper league team did that this season dave when Crusaders moved lock stock from South wales to North Wales ;)

PAUL GIBBINS

Wall and Floor Tiling

Plastering

Bathroom fitting

Fencing

Guttering

Insurance work

Free Quotes

www.funkytilers.co.uk

A pooper scooper league team did that this season dave when Crusaders moved lock stock from South wales to North Wales ;)

True enough Paul, so the precedent has been set. I look forward to some rich geezer buying a SL club and re-locating them to some city with no RL heritage, no support, no love and no infra-structure, but hey he's got a shed load of money a 10,000 seater stadium and it's NOT in the heartlands of the game. RL will bite his hand off.

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

The next step for sky will be to convince the two rugby codes to come together again and meet half way with the rules to get the big city clubs in one league. It sounds like scaremongering but watch this space.

I know it sounds like paranoia, but that's what I reckon franchising is really about. Get rid of the "dross" (

Edited by Trojan

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I'm not a fan of RU, I don't really understand the game at all but I know enough to know they are doing alright and don't need us.

Way back in 1995/1996 Union went professional, a few years after that, they saw things weren't working so they got someone in from the outside and turned the RFU into a proper business with the aims to make profit, they spread the profit among all levels of the game and each club is equal, thats my understanding of what happened. Im sure Chris W will correct me where im wrong as he knows much more about it than me.

Plus the Old Boys Network doesn't do any harm...

Cummins Out.

The state of Rugby League these days is so sad. Anyone looking in on our sport from the outside, be it a Rugby Union, soccer or maybe even a tiddlywinks fan, would p*ss themselves at the farcical and quite frankly unbelievable way in which things are controlled by the authorities.

What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

The state of Rugby League these days is so sad. Anyone looking in on our sport from the outside, be it a Rugby Union, soccer or maybe even a tiddlywinks fan, would p*ss themselves at the farcical and quite frankly unbelievable way in which things are controlled by the authorities.

They do, a football fan I know was talking to me recently and he couldn't believe they let clubs in just because they're Welsh.

Cummins Out.

I'm not sure I agree to be honest.

Like it or not, Rugby Union to my knowledge is doing reasonably well nationally, european wide and world wide on their own without us. What would they get from getting Rugby League on board?

I'm not a fan of RU, I don't really understand the game at all but I know enough to know they are doing alright and don't need us.

Why would Saints, Wigan, Wire and Leeds change sport or try out a new sport/ hybrid just for money? I presume that the vast majority of supporters of the teams you mention are Rugby League fans first and foremost. Their fan base would dwindle to the low hundreds at the most because they aren't watching the sport they enjoy. They would go bust within 12 months.

Well I won't argue. (because I may be paranoid ;) ) But who knows what's happening behind the scenes? If Mr Murdoch (or his acolytes) have expressed the wish for a hybrid game, I'm sure the powers that be will be wetting themselves to oblige.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Well I won't argue. (because I may be paranoid ;) ) But who knows what's happening behind the scenes? If Mr Murdoch (or his acolytes) have expressed the wish for a hybrid game, I'm sure the powers that be will be wetting themselves to oblige.

Wrong about the money in RU being evenly spread. Just look how many teams from the past have gone at the lower levels. In Leeds alone I reckon at least three clubs went with amalgamations. All sports are finding it hard because of the recession, paying players too much, not developing home grown talent, etc. I know there are exceptions but overall money is not as eay to come by. I don't think there will be an amalgamation. if it is tried there will be another breakaway. Things are probavly happening behind the scenes, but that happens even at your own club. My bet is that there will eventually be two super leagues. This will keep traditional clubs happy and also allow for expansion.

Been told today by a relative of a well known name in RL that Quins are in all kinds of trouble and will be the team to drop down, will the Rfl really admit failure down in London?! I'm not so sure but I'd much prefer a local derby in 2 years time lol x

No matter what the result, always a true Fev fan.

"COME ON LADS MAKE US PROUD"

Speculation on RLFans.com that Trinity have signed Zeb Luisi on a 3 year deal!! :lol::lol::lol:

If he and JJP are the calibre of player they are pinning their SL hopes on, things at Trinity are much worse than even I thought!!!

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Been told today by a relative of a well known name in RL that Quins are in all kinds of trouble and will be the team to drop down, will the Rfl really admit failure down in London?! I'm not so sure but I'd much prefer a local derby in 2 years time lol x

So would I Mrs E!!! :P

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

If Harlequins have to drop out of SL doesn't that remove the whole reason for having a club in London? "National coverage"

TBH I'm not sure that there are enough people in London to support even one rugby team of either code. Harlequins RU play at Twickenham, the others either play at Watford or Reading don't they? They were all London clubs when they didn't need speccies, but they're not now.

Clement Attlee.

Am I paranoid or as the 2500 attendance come into play since Fev threatened to go to a grand final? And doesn't it rule out everyone apart from Widnes from ever getting into Super league now that the RFL have been responsible for driving away the support from most championship sides;

A crowd of 2500 isn't that far away for us!!! A win in the grand final and a couple of big names for next year and who knows :-)

So would I Mrs E!!! :P

Who'd need Super league if we had Wakey, Cas & Fev all fighting for the championship title, roll on 2012 :-)

Widnes & Toulouse in

Wakey & Cas out

I'm dreaming yet again :-)

• 3 weeks later...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_leag...don/8944609.stm

London going #### up may change the priorities of the RFL - may give wakey a lifeline!

Looking dodgy for them.

It is time they were out. Surely they cannot be bailed out again and this experiment has to come to an end. I will be at the London Skolars game tonight, supporting the proper London club. You know, the one that has (rightly) started at the bottom of the proffesional pile and has to grow organically and work its way up through the league structure.

I don't think that this is a repreive for Wakey. I hope not. How many lies have they told about their ground over the years? This could give new hope to us, who is to say that there will not be two out and two in??? We must win that Grand Final to keep the pressure on.

After all, we are the only team along with Widnes that are building an infrastructure by developing the acadamy to compete with Superleague. These games coming up for both the reserves and the first team are very important for building a case about being the strongest club outside of SuperLeague.

BTW, the best news for me is that Daryl Powell is talking about a contract extension. He is really building a club for the future, not just a team for today.

Anything I post is a personal opinion

Harlequins RL are in the wrong area for me, they should be in South London where there are more amateur clubs.

They've been there and done that ( Charlton, Crystal Palace, Fulham) My relations live in Putney a stones throw away from Twickenham and know very little about the club. They have visted Post Office Road more times than RU headquarters or the Stoop. I am still bitter and I still can't forgive, but Ourselves and Widnes were thrown to the Wolves to make way for Paris St. Germain and London. We are still going strong, London are in their third stanza as Stevo would say, Paris blew away with the breeze and surrended , oh for expansion when it puts clubs and communities out of business. the tough are still here, but until we speak with an Aussie/American accent we'll just have to stay where Mr. Murdoch wants us. I have long had the belief that the RFL don't run Super League, the TV company does!

I now await the reply of preposterous!

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

It was thirty years ago today (well Wednesday really) that Fulham played Wigan at Craven Cottage. They've and the RFL have had thirty years trying to establish the game in Greater London. Given that the game was 85 years old at the time, that's a third of the life of the game given over these attempts.

Surely it's time to pack it in. The Londoners aren't interested. At one time I thought that there must be enough ex pat Lankys, Yorkies, Aussies and Kiwis to support a RL club in London. But if after thirty years the best they can offer is 2/3k out of a 10m. population then it's time to pack it in.

Lets face it Londoners are not that interested in Rugby of either code - most of the top Union clubs have moved away from London, to Watford or Reading. The Stoop itself is not exactly convenient for away supporters either, most of whom will be coming from the North.

Unless you have a sugar daddy willing to pour millions in for years, there's no way that top down expansion will work. Celtic Crusaders proved that.

I'm very in favour of expansion. But by the London Skolars and South Wales Scorpions route. Develop the game at grass roots, build a team of local players. That's the way to expand.

Clement Attlee.

which season did widnes have their 9 points deducted for going into administration? because rule three is " No insolvency event has occurred during the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons."