wigan squad

bomberisgod

It's no good having a Wigan player train Thursday(sometimes), Saturday morning and picked to play over a local for Sunday only to be recalled at the last moment. I personally think that will alienate the local lads who train week in and week out, and who also happen to be good players. I take people's point about our lack of a stand off, but unless Wigan can guarantee us a player for at least a handful of games then I'd go with what we've got. I've no doubts Hampshire is a decent player but the will he wont saga will never go away with a player like that. And that does nobody any good.

It's no good having a Wigan player train Thursday(sometimes), Saturday morning and picked to play over a local for Sunday only to be recalled at the last moment. I personally think that will alienate the local lads who train week in and week out, and who also happen to be good players. I take people's point about our lack of a stand off, but unless Wigan can guarantee us a player for at least a handful of games then I'd go with what we've got. I've no doubts Hampshire is a decent player but the will he wont saga will never go away with a player like that. And that does nobody any good.

well doran is a local lad so I'm sure he's st trainining more than you think

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

I don't think ' pro Wigan ' is very fair at all . And it's nothing to do with a lack of faith in our players . I just think we have this link , and if we can utilise it to improve less strong or experienced positions with genuine quality beyond our level or compass then it's a no brainer , making a strong team even stronger . And these blokes standards and ethics must rub off on the other guys . But it's how you see it . To me it's class players giving you a better chance to compete and win and augmenting the fine quality you already have , that's a positive in my eyes . And it raises standards across the board . And this year , in the odd area only , we are using it as it should be , where others have a flood of DR to fill a chasm ...

It'll be a tricky decision for PV if Hampshire is available to us at the weekend. Doran's had a game with us and is keen to play but Hampshire's tipped for big things.

What does he do if McAvoy's fit?  I'm not sure Scholey deserves to be dropped. I'd want Duerden in the 17 as well !

Poor Phil ! 

IMO we've all the positions covered except a stand off. If Dorans here for a decent stretch then great. Beyond that I don't really think we need anyone else unless injuries/ suspensions etc dictate otherwise.

Agreed Terry Mac, once Miller is back and Farkas is eligible to play, can't see a lot

of point in using DR other than maybe one half back.  So many options

in the forwards from our own squad if everyone is available.

So agree just look to use if have a lot of players out, rather than having three or so every week

for the sake of it.

Agreed , when we have that situation that'll be fantastic , and Doran can develop his game here with a player like Farkas , and you still have players giving strong depth behind . Let's hope that day is near ! As I say , it's there to be used in areas when you need it with the best quality available .

If past seasons are anything to go by then we will pick up injuries and especially if we get a couple of props injured we will once again need Dr.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

We shouldn't need to rely on DR as much as we have in the past, if Manfredi is not available then perhaps young Tee should be given a chance on the wing.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

No one is pro wigan, but if you'd don't want to use dual reg who do you plan on playing scrum half for the next few weeks/months. Callum dosent want to play there and pv dosent see him as a half back either so that's a null argument.

sorry but I dont recall ive ever said I dont want to use dual reg ..Ive said its a good thing when teams are short of a postion as we are with the half back and have one held up on some technicality or other and its good for small squads like we had last season and good for covering in an injury crisis ..but I do not see the need for teams to use  up to 3 or 4 in a team when there is a larger injury free squad .....

but the one good point that we are all missing is that its great to have this DR debate bcause the last few seasons we' had no options and truly did need the cover so its a indicator that we have come so far from then and PV has put a good squad together that can now move on and compete with the best in this league .

Does anyone know if young Kirkup and fryer are still training with the squad. That's maybe one for trouty.cheers

No,but they are still in towns cast of locals.It will not be long until they will get their call ups to become town players,and both are good lads and good players.

Archived