Team photo of the 1975/76 season, Oldham

RogerT

Have a nip over onto the Batley Bulldogs website and click on the twitter thingy up in the right hand corner and scroll down, you will see a team photo from the 1975/76 season along with others. 

Enjoy yourselves naming them.

Cheers Roger.

post-32237-0-71300500-1428945155_thumb.jpeg

Memories fading, but here is my first attempt.

Back Row ??, Wheelan?, Barry Kear, Chris O'Brien?, ??, Mike Elliot, Brian Hughes, Fred Hall, ??.

Front Row. Tony Wainright, John Patterson, Kevin Taylor, David Treasure, Martin Murphy, Phil Larder.

Back row Ray Hicks,Bob Welding, Tony Peters .Eddie Barton next to Fred Hall

This brings back some memories. Two old friends in Kevin Taylor and Fred Hall had many a happy time in Alexandra Park playing football against the Italians with them,Fred could have been a good footballer.

We met Brian Hughes and his family a number of years ago on holiday in Malta and became good friends he was a nice man and a lovely family, he sadly passed away a few years ago.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 15/04/2015 at 08:13, higgy said:

This brings back some memories. Two old friends in Kevin Taylor and Fred Hall had many a happy time in Alexandra Park playing football against the Italians with them,Fred could have been a good footballer.

We met Brian Hughes and his family a number of years ago on holiday in Malta and became good friends he was a nice man and a lovely family, he sadly passed away a few years ago.

Just found this post!. Remember playing in Alexandra Park with Fred Hall. He was a fearsome competitor. I lived in Glodwick in those days and went to Alexandra School. Jack Abbot and his brother I remember playing as well. The teams diminished when Fred said its time for a game of rugby-he simply ran through everybody!

I remember Brian Hughes (Rentakill nickname). Went to his pub on Lock Lane Castleford and had a chat.

Also met Barry Kear once when his pub team Fryston Hotel I think- were playing Waterhead. Told him I put 50p in a fund Oldham had set-up to buy him. He told me he went in the roughest pub ever on Huddersfield Rd where McDonalds is in Oldham-forgot its name.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember playing a schools football game at Counthill in the mid-1970s and Phil Larder was the referee. He was certainly an all-rounder regarding sports. If people think the legendary extreme climatic horrors at Watersheddings made for difficult playing conditions, then you never played at Counthill, as that was even higher in the hills and more exposed than the RL ground down below. ?

Did Counthill school play rugby? All the Catholic schools in the area did but not sure about any of the others.

On 13/04/2020 at 14:47, Phil Cordingley said:

Also met Barry Kear once when his pub team Fryston Hotel I think- were playing Waterhead. Told him I put 50p in a fund Oldham had set-up to buy him. He told me he went in the roughest pub ever on Huddersfield Rd where McDonalds is in Oldham-forgot its name.

There was a lot of rough pubs up that way back in the day! I used to drink up there and play darts most Friday nights when all the nutters and ####### came out to play/fight. I imagine all those places have been demolished these days but the memories remain.

Oldham was a roughhouse at weekends. People came from far and wide for a night on the tiles, there used to be coaches parked up behind C&A from many Lancashire towns as Oldham town centre was the place to be. As well as the pubs there were little nightclubs tucked away in basements all over the place. Now,gone forever of course.

Archived