Confused

The Baron Mk11

I might be wrong, but I thought that the last games of the regular season all had to kick off at the same time, so no team had an advantage in respect of what they had to do.

If we lose to Scholars (God forbid) then NWC know they have 5th place in the bag, thats not right.

I for one am sick to bl00dy death of Saturday teatime games, it suits someone, but who?

Is it really "the tail wagging the dog"?

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

I've no real preference either way. I'll go on whatever day we play on. I get a season ticket because the club needs the money more than I do, it's not a question of economics. For our lads, we go out on Saturday to win, nothing else will do. No disrespect to our opponents but if we lose at home to Skolars we've no right to go any further anyway.

I doubt it will give us much of an advantage and surely Hornets fans expect to win - and a win puts even more pressure on our team playing away against Thunder.

I'm sure that when the fixtures were arranged nobody thought there would be 3 teams in contention for 5th place - but I'd agree that for a fair contest all games should kick off at the same time on the last day of the regular season.

I doubt it will give us much of an advantage and surely Hornets fans expect to win - and a win puts even more pressure on our team playing away against Thunder.

I'm sure that when the fixtures were arranged nobody thought there would be 3 teams in contention for 5th place - but I'd agree that for a fair contest all games should kick off at the same time on the last day of the regular season.

Hi Gogledd, we were originally playing this game on a Sunday, but for some unknown reason moved it to Saturday. I don't know why, no one else seems to know why. I've heard it's because the team prefer to play on a Saturday, hence, is the tail wagging the dog?

Hi Gogledd, we were originally playing this game on a Sunday, but for some unknown reason moved it to Saturday. I don't know why, no one else seems to know why. I've heard it's because the team prefer to play on a Saturday, hence, is the tail wagging the dog?

A shame then as it appears to be the Clubs choice. It would have made for a rather exciting afternoon with 3 sets of fans keeping one eye on the twitter feed!

I think Crusaders know they have to go into the game to win to come 5th, otherwise were out of the play-offs.

There are many reasons behind the proposed (London home game) move, namely that it will allow the players an extra days recovery ahead of the entering the play offs.

It will allow the clubs End of Season awards to take place post game in the Flying Horse from 7pm.

At least tomorrow give the Hornets faithful reasons to be cheerful with a truly professional performance.

Then hope that this forward planning works out that way!

The reason why we're playing on Saturday is the Hornets players asked for it so they could have Sundays with their families.

At last confirmation that the tail is wagging the dog!!!

I was always under the impression that supporters who buy season tickets join lotteries become members and sponsor players where the ones who mattered. Apparently at Hornets this is not the case.

To be honest Saturdays are a no no for me personally but I find it insulting to the other clubs striving to make the playoffs that Hornets have decided to play a day earlier. In my view all games at this crucial stage should be played on the same day. We do our club no favours by being out of step!!

I agree with The Collector in that in the last round all matches should be played on the same day at the same time.

On a purely personal basis I have no problems with Saturday matches in general but the 5-30 pm start is the reason that I haven't attended any of them. With over 50 miles to travel each way for home matches it wipes out both Saturday afternoon and evening for me. I would go to matches with a 7-30 pm kick off or a 3-00 pm kick off although I realise that the latter would be a clash for those people that wanted to watch Mayfield so probably a 7-30 pm start would be preferable. What is the logic behind the teatime start?

I've watched Hornets for many years going back to the Athletic Ground days when Ted Cahill was full back and this year I've become very disillusioned with them. Of the heartland clubs we are in the bottom two. I thought this was a strong squad that  could compete but I was obviously wrong.

I think the two above post by The Collector and Pedro (both life long fans of Hornets) just about sum things up.

Players don't suggest game times, the club does based on demand - surely with the amount of negative feedback re games on Saturdays and people saying "I'm not going" it was time for the club to be reactive and revert to Sunday's.

I suppose it may have softened the blow if the players responded to having the games switched for them by performing and getting results.

To repair the damage that has been done this season the club need to: admit Saturday's have been a failed venture and revert to Sunday's ASAP and acknowledge that on the field this season the product has been no where near good enough

The strength of the amateur game in the town is something that Hornets are just not forming any kind of link with and they are no where near getting Rochdale lads playing for Rochdale Hornets due to this - I can only think that this is down to individuals involved

As I've mentioned previously I know one individual that if given chance would make huge strides in bringing all of this together in Rochdale.

Some people seem to have short memories here.

There was a long discussion regarding this issue at a members meeting. A vote was then taken. It was a agreed some games would be played on Saturday as a trial this season.

Just to jog your memories the meeting was held on the 18th of November 2014 . 47 members were present and the resolution was carried by 15 votes.

I hope that this clears the situation up. No tail wagging the dog, just the members deciding to try the idea. No doubt if we decide to return to the issue in the future there will be another vote.

Tyrone. As it was agreed that some games would be played on Saturday as a trial this season does it mean that next season we will revert back to Sunday or there will be another vote on the issue? Out of interest was the time of the Saturday starts voted on?

Hi Pedro, The Hornets co-op is run on democratic lines. That means if you've got an issue with the running of the club you should attend the regular meetings that the club organise. You can speak out and see if you get a seconder, assuming you do you can put your issue to a vote. The members make club policy. That's how it works. I remember a similar debate about the controversial away kit we had a year or two back.

I would have thought this issue will be raised at the next meeting and if there are two people ( proposer and seconder ) who want to changes things a vote will be taken.

I really have no dog in this fight, for me there are pros and cons for both days.

I can't recall if the exact time of kick off's was voted on but I think we all knew before the vote it would be Saturday tea time.

That's the thing with democracy, not every body will be happy but the majority will be.

"There was a long discussion regarding this issue at a members meeting. A vote was then taken. It was a agreed some games would be played on Saturday as a trial this season.

Just to jog your memories the meeting was held on the 18th of November 2014 . 47 members were present and the resolution was carried by 15 votes."

So according to my maths this decision was supported by 32 people. If you think the club can survive based on that level of support good luck. the rationale was the players wanted sundays off. I suppose those teams above us have very disatisfied players.

I think the point Collector and others are making is the reason for the proposal was the interests of the players NOT the interests of the paying public (and that is much wider than members).

Some people seem to have short memories here.

There was a long discussion regarding this issue at a members meeting. A vote was then taken. It was a agreed some games would be played on Saturday as a trial this season.

Just to jog your memories the meeting was held on the 18th of November 2014 . 47 members were present and the resolution was carried by 15 votes.

I hope that this clears the situation up. No tail wagging the dog, just the members deciding to try the idea. No doubt if we decide to return to the issue in the future there will be another vote.

Just to jog your memory, it was four games to be played on a Saturday.

Apparently Crusaders asked for our game against Thunder to be played on Staurday because our U16s are playing in their Grand Final (at Mayfield) on Sunday and its the Great Northern Run in Newcastle on Sunday.

I'm told our application to change the game was refused bythe RFL.

I may have been fed a load of bullshot but it seems strange that Hornets changed and Crusaders couldn't!!

Gogledd

Did Newcastle agree to the change?  One reason could be that Hornets were the home club. Somewhere lurking in the back of my senile brain I seem to recall that at one time it was the home club who decided on which day of the allocated weekend a match was to be played. I may well be wrong but it would explain the different answers from the RFL.

Gogledd

Did Newcastle agree to the change?  One reason could be that Hornets were the home club. Somewhere lurking in the back of my senile brain I seem to recall that at one time it was the home club who decided on which day of the allocated weekend a match was to be played. I may well be wrong but it would explain the different answers from the RFL.

That could explain it. I'm not sure whether Newcastle agreed or not, but that could be a simple explanation which I hadn't thought of.

• 2 weeks later...

Next season all Raiders home games will be on a Sunday. Possibly a 3.30pm KO

A 3.3Opm ko on a Sunday!  A later kick off ,oh great just what we need when there's a quite a distance to travel back home for quite a number of clubs. Some real joined up thinking there then! 

Archived