Burgess leaves Bath

Read Martyn's report of Shaun Edwards's view of the game. While Burgess was on the field he had their right hand side bottled up. Once he went off Wales were able to exploit George Ford's defensive frailty. Who should know better than the opposition coach?

I reckon had he stayed on England would have won.  (they'd have gone out against a SH side in the next round of course)  But the main point is that Burgess did all that was asked of him, was pulled off and then to add insult to injury was blamed by all and sundry for the loss.  I'm sure if someone'd had the balls to stand up and say it wasn't Sam's fault he'd still be a Bath player.

I have nothing but respect for shaun , but i still believe wales would of won , in the round i think

there the better more experienced team. sam wasn't blamed by all and sundry , more flak went robshaw

and lancasters way not one of the ru fans i know did or if memory serves me any of the tv commentators.

a small number of union newspaper men did and were challenged by the likes of greenwood.

a small number of RL fans have eagerly hoovered up a few negative comments to reinforce there own

world view. I don't believe anything said had an influence on sams decision , i think he was always

going to go back to the nrl , partly due to family reasons , partly due to realising he had made a

mistake. Good luck to him.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have nothing but respect for shaun , but i still believe wales would of won , in the round i think

there the better more experienced team. sam wasn't blamed by all and sundry , more flak went robshaw

and lancasters way not one of the ru fans i know did or if memory serves me any of the tv commentators.

a small number of union newspaper men did and were challenged by the likes of greenwood.

a small number of RL fans have eagerly hoovered up a few negative comments to reinforce there own

world view. I don't believe anything said had an influence on sams decision , i think he was always

going to go back to the nrl , partly due to family reasons , partly due to realising he had made a

In both codes of rugby, momentum is everything.  If you suddenly start to make ground where you weren't before then your mentality changes from "oh f***, look at the scoreboard and clock" to "it's only two scores and plenty of time".  As is said of virtually every sport, if you spot a weakness in your opponents, keep hitting it until the ref tells you to stop.  Burgess came off, Wales started making consistent ground in the 10/12/13 channels for the first time in the game, the mentality of Wales changed instantly.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Sorry, but that was nonsense when you first wrote it and it's nonsense now. More articles were written and more air time given to criticising Sam than the entire Kiwi series - won, much to your doubtless delight by England. Rugby yesterday. Don't imply any paranoia or chippiness on our part. Look instead to the Ford clan of low life hypocrisy for small minded comments.

In both codes of rugby, momentum is everything.  If you suddenly start to make ground where you weren't before then your mentality changes from "oh f***, look at the scoreboard and clock" to "it's only two scores and plenty of time".  As is said of virtually every sport, if you spot a weakness in your opponents, keep hitting it until the ref tells you to stop.  Burgess came off, Wales started making consistent ground in the 10/12/13 channels for the first time in the game, the mentality of Wales changed instantly.

yes. and I believe a better coached more experienced welsh team would of gained that momentum somewhere on the pitch , on the wings, thru the pack wherever . sam contained Roberts but he cant cover all 15

RU positions . Eng were poorly coached playing a conservative game plan and had effectively stopped

playing , playing players out of position some of whom were not match fit , some are not test match

quality . Lancaster should of taken barrett off (he shouldn't even be in the squad). I would of

preferred a balanced centre partnership burgess/joseph , slade/ joseph, burgess/slade. Eng as a team

looked confused , unfit all down to poor coaching and selection (both of players and tactics). imo of

coarse.

Sorry, but that was nonsense when you first wrote it and it's nonsense now. More articles were written and more air time given to criticising Sam than the entire Kiwi series - won, much to your doubtless delight by England. Rugby yesterday. Don't imply any paranoia or chippiness on our part. Look instead to the Ford clan of low life hypocrisy for small minded comments.

Yes , I was delighted eng won (altho I admit I thought nz would sneek it somehow), I always want my

national sport teams to win and am disappointed when we lose at cricket , RL ,Football (even tho im

not a football fan),RU. Just like you i'm sure.

As for the " low life ford clan" , have no other players or coaches said something along the lines of

he didn't have the stomach , the new fella's better for us (primarily aimed at placating there own

fans) in every other sport. have wigan rl never said that about any player ever? have Liverpool fc ?

have Chelsea? Mike ford should of been more gracious and kept his mouth shut but does that make him

low life ? There are more serious things in life (especially at the min ) than sport , its important

to keep perspective and not make mountains out of mole hills.

yes. and I believe a better coached more experienced welsh team would of gained that momentum somewhere on the pitch , on the wings, thru the pack wherever . sam contained Roberts but he cant cover all 15RU positions . Eng were poorly coached playing a conservative game plan and had effectively stoppedplaying , playing players out of position some of whom were not match fit , some are not test matchquality . Lancaster should of taken barrett off (he shouldn't even be in the squad). I would ofpreferred a balanced centre partnership burgess/joseph , slade/ joseph, burgess/slade. Eng as a teamlooked confused , unfit all down to poor coaching and selection (both of players and tactics). imo ofcoarse.

Pure cross code...wrong forum

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Yes , I was delighted eng won (altho I admit I thought nz would sneek it somehow), I always want my

national sport teams to win and am disappointed when we lose at cricket , RL ,Football (even tho im

not a football fan),RU. Just like you i'm sure.

As for the " low life ford clan" , have no other players or coaches said something along the lines of

he didn't have the stomach , the new fella's better for us (primarily aimed at placating there own

fans) in every other sport. have wigan rl never said that about any player ever? have Liverpool fc ?

have Chelsea? Mike ford should of been more gracious and kept his mouth shut but does that make him

low life ? There are more serious things in life (especially at the min ) than sport , its important

to keep perspective and not make mountains out of mole hills.

I've just watched it again on You Tube,  England were in control until Burgess went off and Ford came on. They then fell apart. Whatever Burgess's attributes as a player, there is no doubt that his temperament on the big occasion was superior to many on those in the England side.  IMO he was holding the defence together in his absence the whole thing collapsed. It's a good thing the game ended when it did, or Wales would have scored more points.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Yes, the Ford firm just don't get the hypocrisy of these attacks.  

It's unfortunate that none of the history of the Fords uncovered on social media has been exposed in the mainstream media.

The Mail have now covered the "kick in the teeth ---" accusation from George Ford and although they don't point out the hypocrisy, the comments left by people under the online copy are getting the message out there.

Archived