Burgess leaves Bath

oh and im sure martin is very articulate but he didn't stop the show because of his ground breaking , earth shattering erudite contribution , they stopped because they had run out of there allotted time. and he was completely wrong sam burgess didn't play badly at centre but there is no way on earth he is a test match centre and neither for that matter is bastreaud or  barrett .

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just to be clear sam is a world class rl player who in 4 years time imo would be a world class  ru player at either 8 or 6.

England didn't lose the world cup because of sam , they lost due to the poor coaching and selection of the eng management over a long period of time.

England were winning against wales until they took sam off but would imo have lost anyway because although wales play a dull defence based game they are better at it then eng.

imo  sam  didn't really intend staying long past the world cup , if he genuinely wanted to emulate Jason robinson etc he would probably would have to stay in ru for the rest of his pro career (like brad thorn) with no guarantee he would achieve the level of success he has attained in the nrl. understandably he chose to return to south Sydney  , where his family are , to a sport he loves

which suits his skill set.

clearly sam didn't have the interest/ heart / desire / stomach , whatever you want to call it to remain in ru that's fine no big deal , young man leaves a job he loves to try something new , doesn't like it , goes back , that's all it is really.

Bath are understandably miffed , so would you be if it happened to your club , what would be said on here if George north ( for example) went to saints or leeds and did the same?

A very small minority of ru fans have used it as a stick to beat rl with, a very small minority of rl fans (mostly on here) have used it as yet another attempt to denigrate ru as the source of all evil. Trying to find any little slight real or imagined and turn it into something they can have a barny over, at the end of the day its sport! no one has died.

A lot of sense spoken there.  My only comment though would be that the small minority of RL fans are just that, fans, on a closed forum for RL fans.  The small minority of union fans are journalists, current international union players, current union coaches and ex-international union players, all with the privileged platform of the national and international media to beat RL over the head.  Big difference.

Rugby League - a sport where shape and size does not limit your potential

Mr Wild - I couldn't agree more, though I couldn't work out where me Higgs was going with his messages - possibly too nuanced. My perspective, on a league forum is simple enough... Swapping the glamour of Souths for the tea cakes and Jane Austen retirement home of Bath makes sense from his and our perspective. As for what their writers say, well they are their own journalists so I am guessing that they are genuinely reflective of the views of the Union community. Otherwise they wouldn't have jobs, editors generally encouraging writers to reflect the views of rather than antagonise their readership.

I couldn't care less whether he might have mastered some other role in a few years. Michelangelo may have become a good rapper over time, but was better off spending his prime years painting. The more bile the better for us - it'll make our boys think twice and it gives us the chance to show neutral sports fans what he can do - they can form their own opinion on the entertainment/skill front next year:

ITV'S "News at Ten," in an item about Lancaster's resignation has just described Sam as "slinking back to Australian Rugby League."  That is what they want the world to believe.  Absolutely disgraceful.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

A lot of sense spoken there.  My only comment though would be that the small minority of RL fans are just that, fans, on a closed forum for RL fans.  The small minority of union fans are journalists, current international union players, current union coaches and ex-international union players, all with the privileged platform of the national and international media to beat RL over the head.  Big difference.

i don't disagree with you there. but as i said in earlier post there are numerous reasons why they are so critical , for many it was a way to get rid of Lancaster , who was genuinely disliked by a section of ru . some were trying to cause trouble knowing league fans will stick up for sam and some genuinely believed that no matter how brilliant (and he is) a rugby player / athlete sam is he shouldn't of been selected at that stage of his career (rightly) imo. And some supported Lancaster up till it all collapsed and then turned on him and anyone else in the squad. journalists want to sell newspapers , ex players never like the new generation and coaches want you to pick there players.

ITV'S "News at Ten," in an item about Lancaster's resignation has just described Sam as "slinking back to Australian Rugby League." That is what they want the world to believe. Absolutely disgraceful.

The equivalent on the BBC news said "the failed Sam Burgess experiment".

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

ITV'S "News at Ten," in an item about Lancaster's resignation has just described Sam as "slinking back to Australian Rugby League."  That is what they want the world to believe.  Absolutely disgraceful.

But we can turn this to our advantage. Keep the faith.

I heard this on the 6:30pm news on ITV and couldn't believe what I had heard.

just to be clear sam is a world class rl player who in 4 years time imo would be a world class  ru player at either 8 or 6.

England didn't lose the world cup because of sam , they lost due to the poor coaching and selection of the eng management over a long period of time.

England were winning against wales until they took sam off but would imo have lost anyway because although wales play a dull defence based game they are better at it then eng.

imo  sam  didn't really intend staying long past the world cup , if he genuinely wanted to emulate Jason robinson etc he would probably would have to stay in ru for the rest of his pro career (like brad thorn) with no guarantee he would achieve the level of success he has attained in the nrl. understandably he chose to return to south Sydney  , where his family are , to a sport he loves

which suits his skill set.

clearly sam didn't have the interest/ heart / desire / stomach , whatever you want to call it to remain in ru that's fine no big deal , young man leaves a job he loves to try something new , doesn't like it , goes back , that's all it is really.

Bath are understandably miffed , so would you be if it happened to your club , what would be said on here if George north ( for example) went to saints or leeds and did the same?

A very small minority of ru fans have used it as a stick to beat rl with, a very small minority of rl fans (mostly on here) have used it as yet another attempt to denigrate ru as the source of all evil. Trying to find any little slight real or imagined and turn it into something they can have a barny over, at the end of the day its sport! no one has died.

Not impressed with the dismissal and definition of those who rightly denigrate  RU over this as if it unwarranted or down to some eccentricity. In the world of sport RU is ill deserving of the benefit of the doubt, it has too much form.

Bath are miffed and yet jump on the band wagon to insult SB having been publicly quiet while his decision was pending.

Has there ever been any RU player that has emulated Jason Robinson.

iyo England would have lost anyway. Because they (Wales) are better at defence. But Wales were losing until SB went off. I have no idea how that makes any sense.

England lost the WC because they are not one of the top teams and as such are in the majority. 

Out of interest just how was the skill sets of all the other England players up to the task.

Not impressed with the dismissal and definition of those who rightly denigrate  RU over this as if it unwarranted or down to some eccentricity. In the world of sport RU is ill deserving of the benefit of the doubt, it has too much form.

Bath are miffed and yet jump on the band wagon to insult SB having been publicly quiet while his decision was pending.

Has there ever been any RU player that has emulated Jason Robinson.

iyo England would have lost anyway. Because they (Wales) are better at defence. But Wales were losing until SB went off. I have no idea how that makes any sense.

England lost the WC because they are not one of the top teams and as such are in the majority. 

Out of interest just how was the skill sets of all the other England players up to the task.

Had England beaten Wales, and they would have IMO had Sam stayed on, they'd have gone out at the quarter final stage, just like Wales did.  Obviously going out at the group stage is a blow to Union's macho image of itself in the world game, but basically on a par with the rest of the 6 Nations sides.  After all Ireland lost to Argentina, if there was a real shock at this comp. it was that result.

To describe Sam as "slinking" back to Rugby League says everything about Twickenham's mind set. And any excuses about Jones, et al's venom being un typical of Union's attitude to our game, are obviously just that.  The mask has slipped.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1. Bath will have got compensation and a transfer fee from South Sydney. Given the additional crowd receipts when he played his first few games, I doubt if the club is much out of profit.

2. I idn't see all those public school journalists and RFU representatitves bleating about disloyalty when Sam left Rugby League ... the sport that had nurtured him and allowed him to develop his skill .... to take up Rugby Union.

3. There's all this fuss about Burrell and Eastmond not getting picked for the World Cup when Sam was. I don't recall those bleaters clamouring for those players to be selected in the first place.

4. The real story is the public schoolboys can't handle being humiliated by a 'northern oik'.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Had England beaten Wales, and they would have IMO had Sam stayed on, they'd have gone out at the quarter final stage, just like Wales did.  Obviously going out at the group stage is a blow to Union's macho image of itself in the world game, but basically on a par with the rest of the 6 Nations sides.  After all Ireland lost to Argentina, if there was a real shock at this comp. it was that result.

To describe Sam as "slinking" back to Rugby League says everything about Twickenham's mind set. And any excuses about Jones, et al's venom being un typical of Union's attitude to our game, are obviously just that.  The mask has slipped.

Sure. Slinking back appears to be very deliberate language use by ITV and is pushing an acceptable narrative among their audience.

I've been in the North East today. I read this in their local daily "The Journal."  It's by former Union international Roger Uttley. I thought it a very fair and balanced view.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/would-sam-burgess-continue-union-10429982

Clement Attlee.

4. The real story is the public schoolboys can't handle being humiliated by a 'northern oik'.

Which let's face it proves they haven't really moved on from 1895.

Clement Attlee.

I've been in the North East today. I read this in their local daily "The Journal."  It's by former Union international Roger Uttley. I thought it a very fair and balanced view.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/would-sam-burgess-continue-union-10429982

At last, the voice of sanity. Well done Roger Uttley, cap doffed.

Archived