C.T.E. and RL

jacksy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

I was watching Will Smiths new movie Concussion (NFL) last night and it got me wondering. There are a ex amateur players I know who are suffering brain disorders/diseases. 

Is it possible that we may have a hidden time-bomb within RL?

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

It is a subject that has been causing a lot of concern in both codes of Rugby in the last year or so, as well as American Football, and the potential impact could be massive, especially when it comes to playing either game in schools.

Now even Football has had stories about repeated heading of the ball causing incremental damage.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think the problem with NFL is that the players were basically told that the game was safe and the helmets prevented damage. The players were even encouraged to make head-to-head hits. All the while the NFL knew that was not very good for the players. On the contrary, RL makes rules to try to limit contact to the head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

I was watching Will Smiths new movie Concussion (NFL) last night and it got me wondering. There are a ex amateur players I know who are suffering brain disorders/diseases. 

Is it possible that we may have a hidden time-bomb within RL?

Yup.

Here's one example of the impact of blows to the head:-

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11264856

The introduction of the 10m rule changed the game to a high impact collision sport. The game is now a continuous series of car crash impacts...does that have a detrimental effect on the brain?

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

The introduction of the 10m rule changed the game to a high impact collision sport. The game is now a continuous series of car crash impacts...does that have a detrimental effect on the brain?

It worries me that it probably does, and there may be a backlash against exposing children to potential brain damage.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I cannot see any mention of CTE related to any RL players but there is a Union player mentioned. I think league should lead on this and not ignore it like the NFL.

As I understand it, there is nothing to protect against this and no test ''whilst alive'' that can be carried out.

Children are even more susceptible due to the brain being less developed and able to move even more freely.

I cannot see any mention of CTE related to any RL players but there is a Union player mentioned. I think league should lead on this and not ignore it like the NFL.

As I understand it, there is nothing to protect against this and no test ''whilst alive'' that can be carried out.

Children are even more susceptible due to the brain being less developed and able to move even more freely.

The concussion rule during matches has been enforced more in the last season or two. It may just be scratching the surface, but it shows that there are justifiable worries within RL.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think toam a degree though you know the risk when you play the sport. I personally think things like the shoulder charge should return to RL and we just need to punish head contact harder to discourage it. All walks of life have risk we just need to try and limit it without sanitising the game.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

It will be interesting when the artificially outraged "The children! Why don't we think of the children?" headline storm erupts (probably in the Daily Express), how any mention or condemnation of one very particular oval-ball code is miraculously glossed over.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any sport including RL should always be as meticulous about minimizing injury, not only ensuring appropriate laws of the game but that they are keenly applied. Otherwise irrespective of the payers taking unnecessary risks the governing bodies themselves are opening the sport to litigation and bad publicity that could seriously damage the game.

Where medical advice is given that certain types of play or actions can lead to injury, short or long term they can not ignore it. No matter whether fans (or themselves, clubs or players) think that implementing changes spoil a particular aspect of the game. e.g.  shoulder charge, etc..

Now even Football has had stories about repeated heading of the ball causing incremental damage.

US studies have shown that girls who play soccer are significantly more likely to suffer concussion than boys who play soccer.  They are not sure why this occurs.

It will be interesting when the artificially outraged "The children! Why don't we think of the children?" headline storm erupts (probably in the Daily Express), how any mention or condemnation of one very particular oval-ball code is miraculously glossed over.

Interesting take on the issue.....Not influenced by actual facts, but yet again opinion.

The Express

The Heil

The Torygraph

.......still, let's not et the tin foil hat get in the way of actual reality!

All Contact sports carry a risk and both codes of Rugby are high on the danger list.......but if we wrap our kids in cotton wool then we will be poorer for it IMHO.

I think toam a degree though you know the risk when you play the sport. I personally think things like the shoulder charge should return to RL and we just need to punish head contact harder to discourage it. All walks of life have risk we just need to try and limit it without sanitising the game.

I suppose the question is also do people know the risks? Do you think that young rugby players know the risks of traumatic brain injury for example?

I suppose the question is also do people know the risks? Do you think that young rugby players know the risks of traumatic brain injury for example?

No 

Archived