Home Brew

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5kg Maris Otter malt, 100g crystal...cascade, Centennial and columbus hops 60g of each but split in three batches so 1/3 goes in at 60, 1/3 goes in at 15 and 1/3 at flameout...at least 20g each of them dry hopped too....or citra if you can find/afford them!...nb that's for a standard 5g batch...not sure what quantities you tend to brew in?

Usually 5 gallons occasionally 10, I have been known to make my recipe up and its been in US gallons without me knowing...

My hop spider was a good addition, I just need some hops for that recipe, how long is the mash? 

I assume it's a 60 min boil

yes, 60 min boil, mash at 67 for an hr.....safale us-05 yeast is best apparently to assist in getting that lighter, drier, hoppy feel that APA's have

Hop spider looks like a useful addition to add to my list!!

Yes it saved me blocking my outlet to my boiler, your book got posted today (2nd class as I'm a Yorkshireman  !)

Just awaiting the strip heater for my fermentation cabinet, then onto building a HERMs loop for my mash tun

Yes it saved me blocking my outlet to my boiler, your book got posted today (2nd class as I'm a Yorkshireman !)

Just awaiting the strip heater for my fermentation cabinet, then onto building a HERMs loop for my mash tun

Nice one, much appreciated. My next task is to convert my coolbox to a mashtun by adding a tap and manifold...then, once the missus sorts me a burner for my birthday I'm ready to rock n roll with all grain!

IPA just boiling away while the RL is on the telly, smells awesome

going to brew next weekend twice hopefully then I should be stocked for summer.....

you went for an IPA rather than an APA then?

It game out a low gravity as I forgot to mix my mash properly

I always have the opposite problem. I've done 3 all grain brews now and all have been about 1.070 post boil. My first two brews ended up pretty strong which sounds good but I think affected the flavour.

I made the decision to add cooled boiled water to this brew to get it to the right gravity. Pre-carbonisation it was tasting very nice I must admit but we'll see pretty soon.

I'm not opening it until my second child is born. ETA 6 days and counting.

I always have the opposite problem. I've done 3 all grain brews now and all have been about 1.070 post boil. My first two brews ended up pretty strong which sounds good but I think affected the flavour.

I made the decision to add cooled boiled water to this brew to get it to the right gravity. Pre-carbonisation it was tasting very nice I must admit but we'll see pretty soon.

What could be causing this do you think? Not using enough sparge water or are you boiling for too long?

That will give you something to look forward to!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I think Sparge Water isn't likely to be the issue, maybe over egging the boil

I have wondered what the issue is. The thing is I'm quite a stickler for following the recipe so I follow times and temps to the law. My last recipe said u should have 25 litres pre boil and 22 post which is what I did. I topped it back up to 25.

I've often thought that it's to do with the mash, I must be getting more sugar out than is expected because the gravity is high at this stage.

Archived