oldham chron,

roughyed1064

Maybe it's time that the Hornets and the Roughyeds get together and build a purpose built shared Rugby League stadium somewhere on the border of both towns.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Thats the best laugh ive had for many a year , between them Oldham RLFC and Rochdale couldnt afford to pay to rent the bus shelter at the end of Kingsway never mind build a stadium, unless you have 10 million quid in your back pocket doing nowt in particular that is ??? make that 20 million after buying land and getting all the local planning officers and poloticions on side B). . .

I remember when Super League was formed and around 3 or 4 hundred packed into the social club at Sheddings, i think it was 399 to 1 voted NOT to amalgamate with Salford. Not a cat in hells chance even if there was 20 million found from somewhere or other. 

Im afraid as far as Oldham is concerned the writing has been on the wall for the last 15 years now, a slow slow slow downhill slide onto DEATH. A crowd of just 385 the other week to watch a Challenge Cup Tie "AT HOME" and only just over 1,000 for todays game against Halifax ( how many did they bring around 50% of the crowd ??? ) who are the nearest as a derby you will get on a lovely Good Friday Sunny afternoon. It seems pretty obvious to me that financially this season is going to be a gret disaster, although on the field and full credit to the Oldham players and coaching staff Oldham may well survive in The Championship if the last 70 mins against Halifax is anything to go by.

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

see Oldham are going on about poor crowds down at Stalybridge, well then why don't they get some work done on whitebank and get it up to championship standard and get the team back in Oldham where they belong.

So why don't you get your hand in your pocket and contribute a couple of grand ?

NO ?

Thought not...

Maybe it's time that the Hornets and the Roughyeds get together and build a purpose built shared Rugby League stadium somewhere on the border of both towns.

This was mentioned many years ago and the ideal place would have been near the border at Summitt. To late now the bus has gone.

So why don't you get your hand in your pocket and contribute a couple of grand ?

NO ?

Thought not...

a couple of grand wouldnt pay for that Bus Shelter at the end of Kingsway, as i said you need 20 million at the very least , and if you have that you can build one in Oldham , but unforetuately there wount be any club to play in it , as Oldham Roughyeds is ownesd lock stock and smoking barrel by CH 

dave naylor will be the guy who has all the stats (i DO have them, but not to hand till tomorrow!!) to compare the first 5 crowd attendances to those of previous years, for the same period)

i thought, that with the exception of the kells match, that attendances had been up, on previous years in a like for like period

a couple of grand wouldnt pay for that Bus Shelter at the end of Kingsway, as i said you need 20 million at the very least , and if you have that you can build one in Oldham , but unforetuately there wount be any club to play in it , as Oldham Roughyeds is ownesd lock stock and smoking barrel by CH 

I think you miss my point.

It's all well and good standing on the sidelines and criticising, but if fifty or a hundred actually put their hand in their pocket, then it could actually make a difference.

Sadly, many people seem to have already thrown in the towel and are expecting the demise of their club "some time soon".

Speaking as a 'bridge lad who used to be a season ticket holder and follow the 'yeds home and away through the 80's and 90's, you may just be surprised how many Stalybridge and Tameside folk who've never set foot in Watersheddings have actually made the effort and stumped up their fifteen quid to watch the "home" games so far. My wife watched her first Oldham game for 20 years today and loved it - she'll be back soon.

Great game, big catchment area. If it's promoted in the right way, success at all levels will follow.

KTF. 

see Oldham are going on about poor crowds down at Stalybridge, well then why don't they get some work done on whitebank and get it up to championship standard and get the team back in Oldham where they belong.

The Rugby Club cant do any improvements to Whitebank because (a) The site is owned by the Council and Stamford/Enville Estates and ( b ) If there were going to be any, CH has had 5 years to do it in but expects everyone else to pay for it or get the work done for nothing.

Hope he's given the Bloke at Celtic a down payment for this season as we all know he has trouble paying the Bills!

Many of you contributed generously to the bucket collection today for Mark Storah's family. Mark has been Stalybridge Celtic's kitman and a true clubman for more years than most of the Bower Fold faithful care to remember. Sadly, Mark now has only days to live and every penny contributed will help his family with the challenges and costs that lie ahead.

The bald guy with the bucket was no less than Rob Gorski, the Celtic chairman (yes, the "Bloke at Celtic" as Hollinwooder puts it) . The fact that Rob was here and not back in his humble abode in Monaco, speaks volumes about the regard in which Mark is held by the club.

Thanks to all for digging deep. 

The bald guy with the bucket was no less than Rob Gorski, the Celtic chairman (yes, the "Bloke at Celtic" as Hollinwooder puts it) . The fact that Rob was here and not back in his humble abode in Monaco, speaks volumes about the regard in which Mark is held by the club.

Really, wow.  I put my hand in my pocket for him.  Top guy.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Thats the best laugh ive had for many a year , between them Oldham RLFC and Rochdale couldnt afford to pay to rent the bus shelter at the end of Kingsway never mind build a stadium, unless you have 10 million quid in your back pocket doing nowt in particular that is ??? make that 20 million after buying land and getting all the local planning officers and poloticions on side B). . .

I remember when Super League was formed and around 3 or 4 hundred packed into the social club at Sheddings, i think it was 399 to 1 voted NOT to amalgamate with Salford. Not a cat in hells chance even if there was 20 million found from somewhere or other. 

Im afraid as far as Oldham is concerned the writing has been on the wall for the last 15 years now, a slow slow slow downhill slide onto DEATH. A crowd of just 385 the other week to watch a Challenge Cup Tie "AT HOME" and only just over 1,000 for todays game against Halifax ( how many did they bring around 50% of the crowd ??? ) who are the nearest as a derby you will get on a lovely Good Friday Sunny afternoon. It seems pretty obvious to me that financially this season is going to be a gret disaster, although on the field and full credit to the Oldham players and coaching staff Oldham may well survive in The Championship if the last 70 mins against Halifax is anything to go by.

He didn't say amalgamate, he said get together i.e. share a stadium.

poloticions: Is that a chicken dish?

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

He didn't say amalgamate, he said get together i.e. share a stadium.

poloticions: Is that a chicken dish?

No its a round MINT with a hole in it, or its or my fingers and typing faster than i actually CAN  :tongue:  .... too big for the keys i think and i very rarely go back and check my spellings. . .  We have been sharing a stadium with "Other clubs now for 17 years , and all its done is drive the attendance down from 4,000 ish  to 385. The only club Oldham Roughyedz (or whatever a RL Club in Oldham is or will be called ) is another club with Oldham in its title , and should also be playing within the Oldham Borough. The falling attendances should tell you that

Archived