England Academy tour to Australia: Game 1.

It's the NSW cup, not just a local comp. The standard is similar to SL and it's the same as flipping it if say Leigh had to rearrange a fixture and a junior game had to be moved or cancelled

When I say local I am not referring to the quality of play or the level of the game, I am referring to the geography.  I don't know where the Mounties team are based and how far they are from Sydney but I suspect it would be logistically easier to arrange a fixture with them than one with a representative team which has flown 10,500 miles to play.

Was this really the only option they had to play this re-arranged game?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It's the NSW cup, not just a local comp. The standard is similar to SL and it's the same as flipping it if say Leigh had to rearrange a fixture and a junior game had to be moved or cancelled

On the subject of standards... why has a rearranged game that is the standard on Super League meant that an Academy fixture has been cancelled?

If it is to free up the players to play in the NSW Cup game rather than the Academy fixture this suggests that the standard is the level of the UK Academy rather than Super League or am I missing something?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Two good tries.

Luckily for us I think the English lads have been taught how to tackle!

The standard of NSW Cup is no way close to that of Super League, I do wish people would stop automatically attributing a higher standard to things just because it's Australian.

NSW Cup is similar to the better mid table Championship teams and no more.

Back to the subject of Canterbury cancelling the game, it's an attrocious act of selfishness or incompetence.

The itinerary for the England tour has been locked in for months. To cancel an international match just hours before it's due to be played is unacceptable and displays gross disrespect for everyone concerned with English Rugby League.

Some parents and families will have spent a small fortune to follow their sons to Australia, for those who don't make the Test side these warm up games meant everything and offered the only chance the families will get to see their lads play against Australian opposition.

It's unforgivable what they've done!

Looking forward to seeing how Caine Barnes goes on this tour, I know a few lads who coached him as a kid and they believe he will be an incredible player.

Me too, I watch all the Academy games on Wigan TV and have been impressed however he is still only 17 and he will be upagainst bigger and older props so it will be a massive step up and learning curve.

I really hope he relishes the battle up front, also excited to see how the other prop Mikolaj Oledski from Leeds goes.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

The standard of NSW Cup is no way close to that of Super League, I do wish people would stop automatically attributing a higher standard to things just because it's Australian.

NSW Cup is similar to the better mid table Championship teams and no more.

Back to the subject of Canterbury cancelling the game, it's an attrocious act of selfishness or incompetence.

The itinerary for the England tour has been locked in for months. To cancel an international match just hours before it's due to be played is unacceptable and displays gross disrespect for everyone concerned with English Rugby League.

Some parents and families will have spent a small fortune to follow their sons to Australia, for those who don't make the Test side these warm up games meant everything and offered the only chance the families will get to see their lads play against Australian opposition.

It's unforgivable what they've done!

Watching StGeorge/Illawarra Dragons last night, one would even ask if they were SL standard.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

Me too, I watch all the Academy games on Wigan TV and have been impressed however he is still only 17 and he will be upagainst bigger and older props so it will be a massive step up and learning curve.I really hope he relishes the battle up front, also excited to see how the other prop Mikolaj Oledski from Leeds goes.

For all these England lads, the opportunity is really more mental than physical. That there is an age difference, (I don't know how much?), is another matter.

It won't be part of wayne bennetts remit..

Its whoever is the football manager at the RFL...if they have one..

Good on mcbanana though,always said he should have been "moved upstairs" after the england job...hes a director of rugby all day long,theres was never any questions about his ability to set up camps,england knights,high altitude trip,sports science etc...he did drag us into the 21st century..its just his coaching that let him down lol

Why shouldnt it? Maybe that's what his deal is, but I would have thought his engagement would have been part of a team, not just a first team coach.

Manager is Kelly. There would have been communications going on for weeks regarding timings, facilities, travel and emergency arrangements, pre and post game arrangements etc.

If there hasn't, then questions need asking of Kelly as a manager. If there has, questions need answering through the RFL. Whole situation Stinks.

Why shouldnt it? Maybe that's what his deal is, but I would have thought his engagement would have been part of a team, not just a first team coach.

Manager is Kelly. There would have been communications going on for weeks regarding timings, facilities, travel and emergency arrangements, pre and post game arrangements etc.

If there hasn't, then questions need asking of Kelly as a manager. If there has, questions need answering through the RFL. Whole situation Stinks.

That's a rather silly post, first of all Andy Kelly is the England Coach not the Manager!

Secondly how on earth can you possibly put the blame for this at the feet of the England camp?

Canterbury had confirmed the fixture and all of the details that surround it, the England camp made all of their arrangements to accommodate this match, which was never under any threat of cancellation. Then someone at Canterbury decided to rearrange a reserve game and treat the England match with disdain and disrespect, leaving the England camp with no time to rearrange another fixture. If Canterbury were never committed to staging the game they shouldn't have agreed to it in the first place.

There is no execuse for the disrespect that Canterbury have given this fixture. Whilst we can all understand that the Bulldogs club has commitments to fulfill it's NSW Cup and other sides the reality is that the club could have found a way to put up an opponent against the visiting English side.

Whether that was playing England either earlier / later that day, the day before or after or picking another venue, a club like the Bulldogs has a vast network of options available to them.

It's a shame as the Bulldogs took this fixture off the likes of the Tigers, Panthers, etc who usually take fixtures against visiting Academy sides.

Anyway the hit up against the Roosters was possibly better for the England side.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

England beat Penrith 28-22 this morning.

Good win for England.  They were 10-22 up after 67 minutes and 16-28 after 75 minutes so it was a little more comfortable than the final score line suggests.

Penrith have a fantastic junior production line so they would have been a good side but the first test next week will be a step up.  Should be a good two game series.

NRL.com are advertising a live stream to the first England Academy test this Sunday.

http://www.nrl.com/live-stream-australian-schoolboys-v-england-academy/tabid/10874/newsid/99582/default.aspx

I am not sure if it will be available in the UK but I will try it on Sunday morning (it's an early start... 5.00am!).

I have tried streaming NRL programmes in the past, message pops up saying only available in Aus, no harm in trying though.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

I have tried streaming NRL programmes in the past, message pops up saying only available in Aus, no harm in trying though.

I thought that may be the case. I was hoping that as it listed UK time on the page it may be available. As you say, I will give it a try.

Archived