Championship Shield - Round 1 Predictions

Dave Naylor

Prediction time...

Whitehaven v Bradford

Bottom versus top as far as this end of season competition goes.  Bradford would have hoped to be facing Leeds at home today so that long trip to the Cumbrian coast will be most unwanted.  The apparent financial crisis at Odsal may have an unsettling effect on the Bulls and it'll be interesting to see what kind of team turns out and how fired up they are.  

Whitehaven are fighting for Championship survival so they will certainly be in the mood but they have problems with injuries and may not be able to field their strongest team.

When the two teams met a few weeks back, at Odsal, the Bulls were 52-0 up at half time.  Haven have the benefit of home advantage this time though so the scores could be closer. You have to predict a Bulls win but I wouldn't be surprised to see a shock result.  

Bulls by 20

Dewsbury v Swinton

Both these teams will want to kick off with a win and two points.  Swinton were walloped at home last time out, falling victim to a Batley team busting a gut to get into the Qualifiers. On the same day Dewsbury were nilled at Leigh who amassed 58 points.  Perhaps a better indication of how the game will go is the 34-16 home win by Dewsbury over Swinton three weeks ago.

Every result in these Shield games will have an impact in the bottom 6 clubs.  If Swinton were to lose and Oldham manage to shake off the Workington monkey on their back then the Roughyeds will leap frog Swinton into 9th place.  So let's have that then.

Dewsbury by 10

Halifax v Sheffield

Halifax must be disappointed about missing out on a Qualifier place but the effect on the team may not be as bad as that endured by Bradford.  Sheffield have had a poor season but will want to end on a high note.  I don't know if Sheffield will be full-time again next season but if not many of their players may already be looking elsewhere.

I think Fax will win comfortably, especially at home.

Halifax by 16

Oldham v Workington

Two close games in the regular season but Town came out on top each time.  In Town's two point win a couple of weeks back, Oldham yet again gifted the opposition a twelve point lead in the early stages.  Oldham got to within two points twice and looked like they were going to overrun the visitors but it was not to be.  A slow start and a bad day at the office has allowed Town a sniff of survival.  

Last time an Oldham win would have given them a comfortable cushion to keep both Cumbrian sides at bay.  We've now got to do things the hard way and I'm sure the team that turns out tomorrow won't have any gifts to hand over to the opposition.

Town always score, even in defeat.  We've just got to score more times than them.  Both teams will have changes, some enforced, so the fixture won't be quite a deja vu experience for all the players.  There could be thrills and spills and we may unleash the beard to be feared.  I think Oldham will finally overcome Sammut and the rest of the Town team.  

Oldham by 12 

Thought I would just log in for my daily dose of pessimism lol. Tough game tomorrow, Worky have nothing to fear having done us at home the other week, Oldham every reason to right the wrongs of a pretty weak performance last time out. I believe we can win this one,but no stupid penalties,discipline has to be spot on with Mr Campbell reffing,he will give us nowt. Play smart rugby,nothing flash just grind them down if needs be.Pay attention to Sammutt,but he is not God, last time out we paid to much attention to him and left Forber to run the show,possible that Phillips replaces Forber this week so our half backs need to be on their game too. We have the players to do it for sure,if we go behind again though nerves may kick in both from the lads and on the terraces. 100% vocal backing as always from the Barmy Army and everyone else.See you there. Oldham win by 6-10 hopefully :)

Thought I would just log in for my daily dose of pessimism lol. Tough game tomorrow, Worky have nothing to fear having done us at home the other week, Oldham every reason to right the wrongs of a pretty weak performance last time out. I believe we can win this one,but no stupid penalties,discipline has to be spot on with Mr Campbell reffing,he will give us nowt. Play smart rugby,nothing flash just grind them down if needs be.Pay attention to Sammutt,but he is not God, last time out we paid to much attention to him and left Forber to run the show,possible that Phillips replaces Forber this week so our half backs need to be on their game too. We have the players to do it for sure,if we go behind again though nerves may kick in both from the lads and on the terraces. 100% vocal backing as always from the Barmy Army and everyone else.See you there. Oldham win by 6-10 hopefully :)

I think they may play Phillips at Hooker and keep Forber in. We need to win the forward battle, do that and we'll win convincingly. 

Archived