fields new road/melrose playing fields

roughyedspud

ive heard a rumour/half story about the playing fields where hollinwood arlfc play,if people didn't know its owned by the RFL and leased to hollinwood,that lease was recently up for renewal...ive heard oldham council are trying to snatch the lease...anyone heard that??

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

ive heard a rumour/half story about the playing fields where hollinwood arlfc play,if people didn't know its owned by the RFL and leased to hollinwood,that lease was recently up for renewal...ive heard oldham council are trying to snatch the lease...anyone heard that??

and build some more four bedroom houses

It's a great sight and quite useful for motorway links and Manchester. I don't travel as many miles as Dave but with training and matches there i'd be rather happy and within Oldham although not our Watersheddings historic area. 

I am pretty certain that there is a covenant on there that RL has to be played their. The old Ferrantis ground previous;y had this as it was bequeathed to the RL. When the council did the land swap to get the Daily Mirror on the land the covenant passed over

I would think Geoff Cooke from Rugby Oldham could expand and give a more definitive explanation as this was one of the pieces of land considered for a new stadium

In a perfect world oldham rugby,rugby oldham,oldham amateur RL association,oldham collage,oldham council & the RFL would all come together and turn the fields into a community RL facility..

The site is big enough for a 4-5k stadium,a "amature" pitch,car parking and associated buildings (changing rooms,hollinwoods clubhouse etc)..with two 4g-i-pitches,like widnes have,on the stadium & amateur pitches they can be used fulltime by all the rugby league community,the pro club,all the amateur clubs,service area teams,collage teams...and with excellent transport links its perfectly placed to host england training session,host junior internationals aswell as being a training base for referees....

But for that to happen several groups and bodies need to talk to each other...as we know we struggle to get two groups to talk to each other let alone 5 or 6 lol

Also when i mentioned the potential to develope the site into a RL community factility to the guy incharge of oldham amateur RL,can't remember his name??, but he damn near had a stroke telling me to "forget about melrose,its not on the table" spitting with rage....quite sad really

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

The theory behind spuds post is exciting. But I think the same as tubey, if the council do want the land it will be for houses.Oldham council don't seem to be sport friendly in general. They just don't seem to understand sport,look what they did with Oldham baths,they replaced it with a puddle.

Also when i mentioned the potential to develope the site into a RL community factility to the guy incharge of oldham amateur RL,can't remember his name??, but he damn near had a stroke telling me to "forget about melrose,its not on the table" spitting with rage....quite sad really

Yeah, he nearly had an aneurysm. Thought he was gonna S.H.I.T. a chicken. He issued an order to stop talking about that and other sites, even if you include an amateur pitch.

No one wants their little empire changing or challenging. Not the RFL, not the clubs, not the amateur scene. All living in the last century, grasping on to their old ways and their tiny bit of power and relevance. Slowly, slowly killing the game. In 15-20 years there won't be a game outside SL if we don't change how things are done.

The way things are re OMBC Chris Hamilton would be well advised to sit down with Rob Gorski and attempt to secure a long term plan at Bower Fold which seems to be well liked by visiting fans and mutually beneficial for the Celtic and ORLFC..Also the increase in revenue Championship survival will bring in central funding has got to be helping the club getting on a more even keel re finances?

the original ground was on hollinwood ave, now the site of morrisons it was maintained by ferantis who had a cricket pitch and a social club on it

it was called the joseph platt memorial field he left it for rugby league for all time the deeds where deposited with the rugby league the rugby pitch was used by ferantis rlfc who used the firms name.

then then appeared a mr Maxwell who bought the transformer works now the mirror group Oldham council by hook or by crook sold the memorial field to morrisons.

they then provided a ground off fields new road the team was renamed hollinwood

rlfc I believe there will be no covenant on the land the only thing to do is to find out who owns the deeds of the site I bet it is not the rugby league

Archived