International eligibility discussion

Ideally one nation for life. BUT a maximum of 1 change, in 1 direction.

So a change from home nation to new nation once, but NOT back again.

OR from residence nation back to home nation once, but NOT back again.

And never more than 2 nations.

Yeah I could live with a '1 change only' rule.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And still the RLEF and the RLIF keep ignoring their own rules.

I don't think England even meet the criteria for full membership. Full membership point 5:

5. Conduct regular rugby league competitions within the country – competition is defined as a 13-a-side league competition played under International Laws of rugby league over a minimum of a 10-week period.

Do we play under international laws?!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

I don't think England even meet the criteria for full membership. Full membership point 5:

5. Conduct regular rugby league competitions within the country – competition is defined as a 13-a-side league competition played under International Laws of rugby league over a minimum of a 10-week period.

Do we play under international laws?!

Nobody does, do they? International laws turn up during the internationals and confuse everybody.

How the new rules are affecting teams.  In my mind not for the best.  Its also crazy to me that PNG aren't playing Tonga this off season.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/314769/sport-png-kumuls-to-change-rugby-league-world-cup-plans

Yep ill conceived and thought through. That said, there was nothing stopping PNG doing this previously with heritage players, so there isn't really any change with that. I suppose the only good thing is it stops players playing for 3 nations, as some Pacific islanders have in the past, but that's hardly much of a step forward

"But PNG Rugby League CEO Bob Cutmore "I think on our first list we had about 12 (first grade players with PNG heritage). We've got quite a few PNG heritage boys playing NRL and they might put PNG as their second choice now - gives them a chance to play in a World Cup," he said."

Are PNG a serious international RL team or simply an opportunity for a few Aussies to play in a WC?

rldfsignature.jpg

"But PNG Rugby League CEO Bob Cutmore "I think on our first list we had about 12 (first grade players with PNG heritage). We've got quite a few PNG heritage boys playing NRL and they might put PNG as their second choice now - gives them a chance to play in a World Cup," he said."

Are PNG a serious international RL team or simply an opportunity for a few Aussies to play in a WC?

PNGers have never been particularly keen on dual nationals playing for their team. Seeing guys dip in and out of the team to play for Australia would not go down well at all.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Such a cringeworthy attitude to have and it just makes RL look bad. It's time for one nation for life, not play for two nations as many times as you want. If that means players miss out and the likes of Tonga, Samoa and Scotland miss out, then tough. International RL shouldn't be decided on ancestry but on the development work being done. Why should you be rewarded just because your country had migration to Australia 50 years ago?

Such a cringeworthy attitude to have and it just makes RL look bad. It's time for one nation for life, not play for two nations as many times as you want. If that means players miss out and the likes of Tonga, Samoa and Scotland miss out, then tough. International RL shouldn't be decided on ancestry but on the development work being done. Why should you be rewarded just because your country had migration to Australia 50 years ago?

It really irks me because the man I quoted in post #58 is the PNGRL CEO and they (PNG) are always held up as the only nation with RL as it's national sport.

rldfsignature.jpg

It really irks me because the man I quoted in post #58 is the PNGRL CEO and they (PNG) are always held up as the only nation with RL as it's national sport.

I think he's actually Australian.   The word on the street is that no PNG players in England will be considered for selection.

Australian or not he's still the CEO of the PNGRL.

I'm with you mate.  That is why I posted the link.  I think its fair to say that many prominent members in the Australian RL community are very much in favor of having heritage teams.  They think it will give a better appearance for international tournaments(closer games).  The problem is that is based off of trickery and people will see through it every time.

• 2 weeks later...

We need to be clear about this. 
RL is NOT a global sport. 

Playing the highest possible number of professional players is the aim, for a double aim: setting up games that are close and whatchable from a TV and live audience, players avoiding injuries. 

Been talking with a non professional player who some years ago played an International against England. After he was tackled by Sam B, he said that tackled "turned off the light" for some moments. 

Do we really think making amateurs playing against top International players - not talking about those 200-0 scores you'd see, btw - would help our game? 

We need to be realist and frank. This sport is played professionaly in 2 English counties, one or two French cities, an island in NZ and two states in Australia. 

We need to have some king of International footy and it needs to be the most balanced we can (Australia beat Scotland 54-12 and the Scots were full of heritage players. Imagine the embarassing if they fielded an amateur XIII...). And then keep on developing local and homegrown footy, like it is happening from Ireland to Scotland to Italy etc. 

The "one nation for life" rule would be good in an ideal world, or in sports like soccer, RU, basketball that are more developed professionaly all around the world, but not for our sport right now. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Archived