A more Irish - Ireland in bid to grow the game.

Sterling suggestion...

I have often thought that the local league1 side should be first game of magic weekend (not the night before)

Agree with that, though some sort of payout would have to be given to the League 1 club, but it would be huge exposure. Have merchandise & membership stalls all around the stadium & surrounding area.

Of course a Magic Weekend would be reliant on Dublin/Stadium fronting up a bid I assume.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course a Magic Weekend would be reliant on Dublin/Stadium fronting up a bid I assume.

Well that's Croke Park out of the frame. How much did they charge the IRFU when they played there?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Nobody watches GAA on sky! Their audience for the football final was only 7000 compared to near a million for RTE.

Where did you get that sky figure from?

Regards Ireland and RL...I maintain there are plenty who would rather play it than Union..especially the way Union has gone over the past decade with the increase in bulk and more negative tactical play. Attractive aspects; the game involves more regular sized people (height and width), get your hands on the ball more...there is an appetite for blokes running with a ball under their arm so there is a market for RL here. Tapping into that market is obviously the key.

The Aviva/landsdowne road is a nicer stadium anyhow.

Tis not. One end ain't completed (or at least it doesn't look completed)...it's a big mass of steel. How on earth goal kickers can see the posts with that thing in the background I have no idea.

Tis not. One end ain't completed (or at least it doesn't look completed)...it's a big mass of steel. How on earth goal kickers can see the posts with that thing in the background I have no idea.

Croke park is out of the question as RL is not an Irish sport...union had to bend over backwards to play there, from memory government intervention was required....

I have never understood the architecture behind the aviva...but it's certainly unique!

Croke park is out of the question as RL is not an Irish sport...union had to bend over backwards to play there, from memory government intervention was required....

I have never understood the architecture behind the aviva...but it's certainly unique!

Agree, Croke Park would be a bit OTT in regards to capacity and definitely hire fees. Aviva is about the perfect size if they could be tempted to bid it would make an awesome Magic Weekend! I personally would prefer a 9's with top 16 clubs plus 3 game series between Ireland & England. Maybe even tempt a well known Irish name for a cameo appearance like has happened with the Auckland 9's.

When does the deal with Newcastle expire?

So how did union do it before going professional?  I am not talking about wembley.  I just mean have enough interest to support several thousand win or lose supporters.

Having a large base of registered players and clubs ensures you have a fan base for a club. Look at the best supported Rugby League clubs and look at the activity at amateur level.  

Clubs also serve as ticket outlets for events.  Build it and they will come never works.  People need to have an emotional attachment to a club to guarantee long term survival.

Because that was all they had and they were the best players too, sad reality is no big crowds wants to watch low level RL anywhere let alone Ireland .

I am all for expansion but in my lifetime and my kids you wont see serious RL in Ireland or Scotland as we have no cash and they have no will ! Union has a stranglehold now and there is no way that will change

Because that was all they had and they were the best players too, sad reality is no big crowds wants to watch low level RL anywhere let alone Ireland .

I am all for expansion but in my lifetime and my kids you wont see serious RL in Ireland or Scotland as we have no cash and they have no will ! Union has a stranglehold now and there is no way that will change

Depends what you define as "serious". I think a semi-pro club with a decent output of local players in to the professional game is more than achievable if the right people are there to make it happen.

The end that is so small is how it is due to it backing onto a residential area and would otherwise block sunlight to it. Aucklands Eden Park had to make similar considerations during its stage of redevelopment. Doesn't detract from the fact the aviva is a nice modern stadium.

If the option was to take a SL game "on the road" however it would be more preferable to use Leinsters ground or another smaller set still significant stadium in Dublin.

Aside from the end dominated by metal works, the Aviva is a run of the mill generic bowl. You could be anywhere. At least with Landsdowne you knew it was Ireland. To use my own club as a contrast to the generic bowl, each stand is different at Anfield..and it looks fantastic. If I had one wish for new stadium designs it would be no more bowls...come up with something distinctive that becomes instantly identifiable with the club/country. All that money spent by Arsenal for a home that could be anybodies (Benfica mk II).

Aside from the end dominated by metal works, the Aviva is a run of the mill generic bowl. You could be anywhere. At least with Landsdowne you knew it was Ireland. To use my own club as a contrast to the generic bowl, each stand is different at Anfield..and it looks fantastic. If I had one wish for new stadium designs it would be no more bowls...come up with something distinctive that becomes instantly identifiable with the club/country. All that money spent by Arsenal for a home that could be anybodies (Benfica mk II).

Yes if you ignore the stand that makes the ground unique then it's not unique....stunning logic!

Anfield is a dump they are sticking parts on left right and centre and the mismatch with the posts right in the way and the seats in the corners not facing the pitch make it awful viewing....not to mention the wooden seats and small on average seating.

Anfield does however have the Kop which is the best stand in english football!

For me the plans for the stadium in Stanley Park was far better with an even bigger single tier Kop!

Bowls are designed to give every seat a good view of the action whilst giving large refreshment areas.

Bowls aren't generic you can instantly recognise the noucamp from the bernaubau

Also look at the NFL stadia to see unique quirks to the generic footprint!

Archived