A more Irish - Ireland in bid to grow the game.

League 1 in its current state is hardly too much of a stretch for Ireland or even Scotland TBH. As long as the finances are in place I would support a club from anywhere in Europe entering League 1 at present.

The travel costs from Ireland are too high.   You need to have a lot of Rugby League activity going on to ensure people will be interested in going to the games.

Scotland has probably the least Rugby League activity of all the Rugby League nations in europe.

Mores games have probably been played in Bulgaria than Scotland in the last 6 months.  Certainly more interest.

Every time we have failed expansion it sets back legitimate expansion people have spent years planning.

League 1 has a waiting list to get in.  But I would love to talk about Scotland and Ireland in League one but even with proper ground work that's years off.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yours won't fill a stadium playing amateur RL!

So how did union do it before going professional?  I am not talking about wembley.  I just mean have enough interest to support several thousand win or lose supporters.

Having a large base of registered players and clubs ensures you have a fan base for a club. Look at the best supported Rugby League clubs and look at the activity at amateur level.  

Clubs also serve as ticket outlets for events.  Build it and they will come never works.  People need to have an emotional attachment to a club to guarantee long term survival.

Sorry Tex, it's very rare I disagree with you but do on this occasion. Yes you need a strong domestic playing base but you also need a higher level for players to have a pathway to aspire to. Getting a team in League 1 has to be a key RLI aim.

It is no different from the Welsh setup that they have in place. Travel really isn't that expensive from Ireland, I fly regularly to Belfast and Dublin. Yes it would need significant sponsorship/benefactor like many League 1 clubs but giving local Irish players the opportunity to consistently play at a higher level should be an aim in the next 5-10 years

Sorry Tex, it's very rare I disagree with you but do on this occasion. Yes you need a strong domestic playing base but you also need a higher level for players to have a pathway to aspire to. Getting a team in League 1 has to be a key RLI aim.

It is no different from the Welsh setup that they have in place. Travel really isn't that expensive from Ireland, I fly regularly to Belfast and Dublin. Yes it would need significant sponsorship/benefactor like many League 1 clubs but giving local Irish players the opportunity to consistently play at a higher level should be an aim in the next 5-10 years

Do the maths for the entire team travelling over and work out how many fans you would need.  

You have to pay the players as well and the back room staff.

Then look at the realistic crowds you can expect for league one.  I would think 200-300 for an Ireland team.

You would need a flight deal in place.  But you are right it should be an aim but just not at the moment.

So how did union do it before going professional? I am not talking about wembley. I just mean have enough interest to support several thousand win or lose supporters.

Having a large base of registered players and clubs ensures you have a fan base for a club. Look at the best supported Rugby League clubs and look at the activity at amateur level.

Clubs also serve as ticket outlets for events. Build it and they will come never works. People need to have an emotional attachment to a club to guarantee long term survival.

Union had a large base of support in various schools similar to how it operates in England. It is embedded in the culture of the people in these areas.

Though I agree that Ireland can only support 4 pro RU teams therefore we shouldn't be completely dismissive of the difficulties that would face a semi pro/pro RL team. Though this doesn't make it impossible.

I personally think in the short term hosting exhibition SL games, particularly during the summer when crowds are down on average anyway, would be beneficial for these nations to build upon.

Do the maths for the entire team travelling over and work out how many fans you would need.

You have to pay the players as well and the back room staff.

Then look at the realistic crowds you can expect for league one. I would think 200-300 for an Ireland team.

You would need a flight deal in place. But you are right it should be an aim but just not at the moment.

Fully aware of that Tex but the cost is far from insurmountable, nothing like the costs facing Toulouse or Toronto. You can still get flights for next weekend for £20 return from Manchester to Dublin. I'm sure they'd get good support from away teams fans wanting a weekend in Dublin or Belfast. That plus 200-300 home fans, good sponsorship and perhaps some benefactor then it's eminently achievable.

Would be good to see RL being played in unis over there

Union had a large base of support in various schools similar to how it operates in England. It is embedded in the culture of the people in these areas.

Though I agree that Ireland can only support 4 pro RU teams therefore we shouldn't be completely dismissive of the difficulties that would face a semi pro/pro RL team. Though this doesn't make it impossible.

I personally think in the short term hosting exhibition SL games, particularly during the summer when crowds are down on average anyway, would be beneficial for these nations to build upon.

I think exhibition games in dublin would be a good idea to help generate interest.

Fully aware of that Tex but the cost is far from insurmountable, nothing like the costs facing Toulouse or Toronto. You can still get flights for next weekend for £20 return from Manchester to Dublin. I'm sure they'd get good support from away teams fans wanting a weekend in Dublin or Belfast. That plus 200-300 home fans, good sponsorship and perhaps some benefactor then it's eminently achievable.

I think university rugby league in Ireland is high on the agenda for change.

9s would be something I can see in the plans.

I think exhibition games in dublin would be a good idea to help generate interest.

Playing at Leinsters ground, or Kingspan in Belfast should be an aim for some SL clubs, personally I'd like Catalans games taken "on the road" so to speak.

So how did union do it before going professional? I am not talking about wembley. I just mean have enough interest to support several thousand win or lose supporters.

Clubs also serve as ticket outlets for events. Build it and they will come never works. People need to have an emotional attachment to a club to guarantee long term survival.

FYI

Union was professional before it went professional...

Quite right...

Maybe ryanair would do the flights for free advertising.

Away following would be huge!

The only issue is it not being an Irish sport...however if Carney were to get involved it would raise the profile!

Quite right...

The only issue is it not being an Irish sport...however if Carney were to get involved it would raise the profile!

I'm not sure if you're joking but there is no way in a million years Ryanair would fly the team for free.

Also unfortunately very few people here will have heard of Brian Carney.

Quite right...

I do also think that recruiting some well known-ish names from GAA and RU that would be able to make the transition would be good when setting up a new club. Even if they were on their way out retirement wise it would help raise the profile.

If there are cheap flights available it's because there is no demand.

Create a demand and there won't be any availability.

It's catch 22.

But that's how budget airlines work. Try finding a hotel and flight when there is a six nations game on.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

A Dublin Magic Weekend would be awesome. Especially if there was an Irish League 1 side to play on the same weekend.

Not out of the realms of possibility in the short-medium term.

Also like the idea of A SL team taking a game to Ireland, I've always thought a good way to grow the game and club's to grow their brand would be to partner with NGB's of emerging nations to play trial games there and create professional pathways for the countries best players.

A Dublin Magic Weekend would be awesome. Especially if there was an Irish League 1 side to play on the same weekend.

Also like the idea of A SL team taking a game to Ireland, I've always thought a good way to grow the game and club's to grow their brand would be to partner with NGB's of emerging nations to play trial games there and create professional pathways for the countries best players.

I am would love to see a dublin 9s.  Its the sort of thing you could put a domestic Ireland 9s team in they wouldnt get hammered.

It builds interest and tests the water for any bigger ideas.

I am would love to see a dublin 9s.  Its the sort of thing you could put a domestic Ireland 9s team in they wouldnt get hammered.

It builds interest and tests the water for any bigger ideas.

A SL 9's tournament could be a real winner I think. Instead of the Magic Weekend, or just changing the magic weekend to a 9's tournament with good prize money for the winner. Have the 12 SL sides + top 4 championship, then have a 3 game series for 2 International teams of choice/invitation.

But anyway, back on topic, good to see Ireland doing what they can, but a little help from England/SL wouldn't hurt.

Do you think the RFL have a secret hoard of cash somewhere Jim? If they had the clubs would have had it ages ago.

Not what I meant, I'm not saying the RFL should be slinging RLI cash. A club partnering with RLI, playing an on the road game there or an RFL event like the Magic weekend going to Dublin could all be a huge help to the game in Ireland. Not saying they are entitled to it just putting forward ideas to grow the game.

Like I said I believe professional club links with NGB's of developing nations could really help the game develop worldwide. It would require some (not much) effort from clubs though, which is the falling point of most good ideas in RL.

I'm not sure if you're joking but there is no way in a million years Ryanair would fly the team for free.

Also unfortunately very few people here will have heard of Brian Carney.

Ryanair would be targeting their main audience....but sadly you are probably right...

However Carney does coverage for gaelic football (touch screen as well) so one would presume that they may at least have heard of him....

Sterling suggestion...

I have often thought that the local league1 side should be first game of magic weekend (not the night before)

Ryanair would be targeting their main audience....but sadly you are probably right...

However Carney does coverage for gaelic football (touch screen as well) so one would presume that they may at least have heard of him....

Nobody watches GAA on sky! Their audience for the football final was only 7000 compared to near a million for RTE.

Nobody watches GAA on sky! Their audience for the football final was only 7000 compared to near a million for RTE.

7000 will know him then...

It's better than nothing...

And will offer hope to any budding star who fancy some their arm at RL!

League 1 club is Deffo the way to go...but only once the amateur game is stable.

Magic sounds perfect to help things on its way!

If there are cheap flights available it's because there is no demand.

Create a demand and there won't be any availability.

It's catch 22.

But that's how budget airlines work. Try finding a hotel and flight when there is a six nations game on.

In general you are right but the Irish to mainland UK market is different. Due to the number of people who commute for business or family reasons, there are a huge number of flights from different operators - Ryanair, Flybe, Stobart Air (Aer Lingus Regional) etc. There is significant competition and the running costs for the short trip are small so the reality is there are always cheap tickets around

Archived