Olney defeats Goldsmith in Richmond Park by-election

There've been 40 years of the Mail, the Sun, The Star and the Express, running mainly spurious anti Europe stories. And as referendum day approached they became more and more shrill and manic, screaming every day about the hoards of immigrants that were about to descend on us.  It was bound to have an effect.  And it did.

Indeed, have a look the left leaning :drag: Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/22/eu-referendum-fact-checking-the-big-claims1/

and Sky News. http://news.sky.com/story/the-top-10-european-union-myths-debunked-10404440

Oe even the biased EU. http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/euromyths-a-z-index/

Suck it up.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are joking calling the telegraph and sky news "left leaning" aren't you?

You are joking calling the telegraph and sky news "left leaning" aren't you?

I think he is saying that all these news sources have included balanced pieces.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I think he is saying that all these news sources have included balanced pieces.

Fair enough, however the balance was all afterwards. In the run up the telegraph in particular was incredibly pro leave. The only paper that did a fair job of balance was the times.

Fair enough, however the balance was all afterwards. In the run up the telegraph in particular was incredibly pro leave. The only paper that did a fair job of balance was the times.

Indeed,  The Telegraph's coverage was in full-on campaigning mode before the vote.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Only insofar as The Sunday Times was for leave and The Times was for remain.  I know, I read both papers!

I'm also sceptical of that evidence. The constituency was 70% for remain before the by-election, and the lib dems did not get anywhere near that percentage (let alone real terms numbers) of votes; hence my scepticism. If the lib dems want to make every single constituency vote a by-election on Brexit then its only continuing the highly divisive politics that have been nasty at times on both sides.

If there was a loyalty vote, then surely that undermines the rhetoric that this was all about Brexit? If remainers were willing to vote for a Brexiteer and vice-versa, then party politics and policy is clearly more important.

EDIT: And frankly after the last two political years I'm not believing a poll by anyone!

Clearly, not every single voter who supported Remain is immediately going to vote LbDem.  However, many voters did switch and it would seem that this was the major issue.

Polls are generally good to within a few percentage points.  Brexit was close, as predicted.  Clinton really did win millions more votes than Trump.  When the say they have an inaccuracy of a few percent, we should believe them. 

Clearly, not every single voter who supported Remain is immediately going to vote LbDem.  However, many voters did switch and it would seem that this was the major issue.

Polls are generally good to within a few percentage points.  Brexit was close, as predicted.  Clinton really did win millions more votes than Trump.  When the say they have an inaccuracy of a few percent, we should believe them. 

2.6 million votes more.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Only insofar as The Sunday Times was for leave and The Times was for remain. I know, I read both papers!

Indeed they did but the reporting in the times was independently judged as the most balanced on the issue of all the newspapers before the referendum.

I'm a subscriber too.

Archived