Mon 17 Apr: SL: St Helens v Castleford Tigers KO 3pm

On Sat Apr 15 2017 at 8:48 PM, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Old Entertainers v New Entertainers.

Until the bubble bursts can't see any result other than yet another Cas win by plenty.

The bubble has burst it seems?

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

24 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

There were a few dodgy calls both ways. Graces try may have gone forward in the build up and 2 of Cas try's looked to have clear obstructions in the lead up play. 

Grace is a joy to watch, the way he ghosted thro the Cas defence beating 5-6 players was fantastic, just getting tackled inches short. When everyone is back fit it's Swift who should miss out not Grace.

Overall a very entertaining game and a huge confidence boost for Saints. Got Widnes & Leigh up next so things could look a lot better come May than they did just a week ago.

Indeed.  I get to see about one game a year, and I certainly struck lucky today.  Castleford were excellent.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

47 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Indeed.  I get to see about one game a year, and I certainly struck lucky today.  Castleford were excellent.

Not sure Cas were excellent, Saints were better.

Cas really need to cut out the poor 20 minute periods. Saints really punished them for it today.

Last Saints try was very dubious but overall I think they deserved to win.

Good to see them throw the ball about a bit too.

Cas game at Hull next week is massive now.

1 minute ago, Davc1h said:

Cas game at Hull next week is massive now.

Don't think Hull will be in it, tbh.

Our home form is appalling, not sure why, but if Cas get their infamous roll on it could be very painful for my lot.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

8 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Don't think Hull will be in it, tbh.

Our home form is appalling, not sure why, but if Cas get their infamous roll on it could be very painful for my lot.

You will have your talisman back no?

Cas have to show what they are made of I reckon.

Tough game whatever.

Watched the match highlights now. Saints last try was perfectly fine, ball clearly went backwards.

Of the 2 Cas try's that looked to have obstructions. Their 2nd one definitely had an obstruction in the lead up as Milner was stood in the line and Peyroux had to push him out of the way and change his position in order to try and tackle Roberts as he went through. But their 3rd try was fine, Walmsley had plenty of time to get back up after being knocked over by a lead runner and get back in the line to make a tackle.

http://www.rugby-league.com/superleague/match_report/13201

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Bad day at the office for Cas.  I think the Wakey game probably took a bit more out of us then some thought although that's no excuse considering St's good Friday game.

The loss in itself is not big deal but the test will come in the weeks following in how we respond with 2 tough games (Hull (A), Wigan (H)).  Lose both of them and I'd start to worry about our season unwinding somewhat.

40 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

Bad day at the office for Cas.  I think the Wakey game probably took a bit more out of us then some thought although that's no excuse considering St's good Friday game.

The loss in itself is not big deal but the test will come in the weeks following in how we respond with 2 tough games (Hull (A), Wigan (H)).  Lose both of them and I'd start to worry about our season unwinding somewhat.

Wouldn't say it was a bad day for Cas, they still threw the ball around as they usually do and had the luxury of a 1st choice 17, although neither team was quite at full intensity which is understandable after Good Friday.

Probably for the 1st time this year I actually saw something of a defensive gameplan from Saints. Cas like to spread the ball wide and it was noticeable how many times both centres (particularly Percival) raced up out of the line to cut out that option and force them back down the middle. Up to this weekend we would have just sat back and waited to see what the opposition would do rather than put pressure on them. One small defensive change completely changed the way Cas were able to attack in that game.

Cas will go on to win a lot more games this year and Saints have turned a big corner now and will surely start to climb the table. Not sure they will be a top 4 side this year as they've still got a fair few 'average' players that need getting rid of. Lee in particular was awful (again) and we played better when Knowles went in at 9, at least Roby will be back in a few weeks and that will make a huge difference to how the team plays.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

5 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Cas will go on to win a lot more games this year and Saints have turned a big corner now and will surely start to climb the table.

I'm actually excited about watching the team again rather than awaiting the monotonous rubbish on display under the Cunningham regime. 

Archived