Halves problem

hi 34 my point I was trying to make is  this style of rugby is causing to many injuries.and with the situation at Huddersfield ten first team players out injured against swinton we are short on players it cant carry on we must alter our style of play.

The style of play we have is proven to be close to the ruck, we, I think,  have scored the least amount of tries in the league. 

As a result I think that most teams will know that in the balance we will not throw the ball about. 

To vary from the game plan will produce dividends in my opinion 

Whether this comes from the halves Scott Turner grimmer or Lippy I'm not bothered but it needs exploring 

44 minutes ago, roughyed34 said:

Pretty much hit nail on the head Tandle. We play to instructions and a certain plan. The half backs are almost redundant in terms of running at defences, the "blame" doesn't lie with the quality of the half backs but in the way we play our game. Thats not a criticism of Scott Naylor, the plan he has put in, in many games has worked. I think its more a case of people being fed up with one man out rugby and would prefer us to play a more expansive game. Wether we have the capacity overall to do that is yet unproven really. We have had success in the way we play and if the coach thinks it works then he has my backing 100%. Of course we want to see Champagne rugby,but a ground out win that ensures survival is just as valuable long term. Maybe now the grounds have firmed up a bit and the weather is getting better,there may be a bit more running rugby to come from the lads.

Fair points all of them, I think the most we've thrown the ball about was against Fax and the results were a delight to watch. 

I think our 3rd try that Chisolm scored went through five pairs of hands. We troubled them when we started throwing the ball about. 

The result is what matters for now but I'm sure we are capable of it.. 

hi cliff the pitches are getting firmer the big Yorkshire forwards are getting fitter they will absorb our style of play all day. they will take this then bring on other forwards as big we have to spread them make them turn or we will struggle . 

Tandle, our pack isn't big enough to deal with some of the opposition packs, especially when the pitches firm up. 

For me we need to play up the middle stuff just short of the half way and then let the backs express themselves. Just as Howard said the second half at fax was a joy to watch. 

Whether it means moving grimmer to stand off and leatherbarrow to scrum half I don't know but something needs to change as the games are running out

I agree with the above about the tight forward orientated game plan and that's why I think it's a waste to have Tyson in the centre and 2 hookers on the bench as it means the pack having to play more minutes.

I was looking forward to seeing Tyson smashing through centres and wingers but on attack he's a virtual spectator.

When can Chappell play?

12 hours ago, clifford said:

The style of play we have is proven to be close to the ruck, we, I think,  have scored the least amount of tries in the league. 

As a result I think that most teams will know that in the balance we will not throw the ball about. 

To vary from the game plan will produce dividends in my opinion 

Whether this comes from the halves Scott Turner grimmer or Lippy I'm not bothered but it needs exploring 

You are a very good hard working side but as a Fev fan what I noticed the other day was that you do turn the ball back inside a little too often when sides can be exploited out wide. Then as your forwards tired Fev found the gaps later to make the score look a little unfair in that respect. Leigh used to throw the ball wide at the start of games against a Fev just to try and get them that early advantage. Good luck.

When can Chappell play?.Now that is a good question, a player we signed who can't play for whatever reason. A response from the club would be appreciated.I also agree with Mr Loxton when he alluded to us playing up the middle too often,there are two wings on a playing field. We are probably easy to defend against as we are predictable. Still want to know where Chappell is,we could do with an extra body in the squad.

1 hour ago, howardm1978 said:

I watched the YouTube video of him and he looked dangerous and just what we need in the front row.  Be nice to hear if he's able to play either way.. 

Front row? He plays second row/centre. I don't know if or when he will be available. 

My gut feeling is we wont see Nathan Chappell in an Yeds shirt, the club have been incredibly quiet about the situation (which is their perogative),whatever the ins and outs of his absence its a shame as I was/am looking forward to seeing him after a few good performances against us for other sides. Hope whatever is keeping him from training/playing is resolved soon and he can resume what looked like a decent career.

Complex when legal stuff in place but he looked like a great signing and still believe he could be. But was facing legal proceedings and was injured. As far as I have been told the club knew he'd had knee surgery but nothing about the legal stuff. What do you do? Put Magnum PI on the job. Haha that shows my age ?

On 4/26/2017 at 6:59 PM, shaw llewellyn said:

If all the opposition coaches watch the match videos they will see that our halves dont take on the line and will just tell the defence to hold position until they pass it on to the next runner. If they just take the line on once or twice it could prove very effective or will at least put some doubt in the minds of the defence for the next few plays. I know it is easy to judge from the terraces or from the comfort of the computer keyboard but surely it is worth a go this Sunday.I would love to see Hewitt throw a dummy, race through a gap and sprint 30 metres to the try line.

OK it was Leatherbarrow not Hewitt but what a great way to win the game.

Archived