Replacing CLS

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Marauder said:

I've watched a lot of summer rugby and the standard wasn't poor by any means, I'd put a lot of the teams in the early to mid  2000's against anyone playing in the YML Premier now.

Who said the standard was poor?

I was stating the merit league was for rugby league novices and getting hammered by seasoned players who just wanted to boost there own egos wasnt good for the growth of the game was it?

When the merit league was first brought in it was for new clubs and clubs to run a 2nd team that may not always be able to raise a team and not necessarily just for new players in fact I can't name one Yorkshire based team that had a team of brand new players, they all had an hard core of experienced players 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

21 hours ago, Marauder said:

If Toll Bar lads where willing to travel to Leicester and Derby attracted lads from Hull a few years ago, Lincoln had the BARLA hooker when they played in the RLC I'm sure lads from other areas will have travelled south before the drip became a flow.

The appeal of summer rugby so great some lads go to the ends of the earth to get a game ;)

52 minutes ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

The appeal of summer rugby so great some lads go to the ends of the earth to get a game ;)

Only on a RFL broken promise or white lie, I remember most of the Southern lads who'd played under BARLA knocking the association for not helping the South enough, LO AND BEHOLD where have the RFL disappeared to.

1 minute ago, Saint 1 said:

Are you saying that what the South is in great need of is a move to Winter, with competition for players with rugby union, competition for facilities with rugby union and competition for players with university rugby league? 

I'm saying the South has been dropped by the RFL like a hot spud and at the moment is in a worse state than it was in the winter years, after saying that would it have survived today, who knows ?

Just now, Saint 1 said:

Yeah no issue with that, I just don't think that any of the game's solutions in the South lie in a move to Winter (regardless of whether that is the case for the heartlands). 

I'd have sooner seen more players/teams playing in a short season in the summer, IMO I thought it was a very good system to bring people into the game and at the same time making more people aware of the game.

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

When the merit league was first brought in it was for new clubs and clubs to run a 2nd team that may not always be able to raise a team and not necessarily just for new players in fact I can't name one Yorkshire based team that had a team of brand new players, they all had an hard core of experienced players 

I never said full teams of novices but if a team had 5/6 football or union players and some 2nd team lads who play for fun to go away to a competitive lets say 1st team winter side whos boosting there egos over summer wasnt great for the game.

Ive also seen in winter league teams request to drop down the leagues to "rebuild" when if truth be known they are just trophy hunting playing against lesser teams but its ok they must feel great beating teams by 60/70 points each week again another tick in the box for positive image of the game?

6 minutes ago, topcentre21 said:

I never said full teams of novices but if a team had 5/6 football or union players and some 2nd team lads who play for fun to go away to a competitive lets say 1st team winter side whos boosting there egos over summer wasnt great for the game.

Ive also seen in winter league teams request to drop down the leagues to "rebuild" when if truth be known they are just trophy hunting playing against lesser teams but its ok they must feel great beating teams by 60/70 points each week again another tick in the box for positive image of the game?

Did you know your own team left the Yorkshire leagues to play in the midlands once upon a time ?

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Only on a RFL broken promise or white lie, I remember most of the Southern lads who'd played under BARLA knocking the association for not helping the South enough, LO AND BEHOLD where have the RFL disappeared to.

Not disagreeing. Just remember to have your leg pulled once and again ;)

• 3 months later...

So as to not start ANOTHER thread, we're probably looking at a wee bit of a shake-up at regional level because these East/West Premier leagues didn't come together.  Anybody with any news?  Hearing a couple of teams might move into the London Premier League from other regions.

3 hours ago, bbfaz said:

So as to not start ANOTHER thread, we're probably looking at a wee bit of a shake-up at regional level because these East/West Premier leagues didn't come together.  Anybody with any news?  Hearing a couple of teams might move into the London Premier League from other regions.

The Pennine have seemed to have sorted their divisions out by just running a Premier and three larger regional divisions; West, Central and East

19 hours ago, bbfaz said:

I assume that things will just stay similar to how they were in the West, and the London Premier League will gradually become the CLS (East), albeit with a shorter season.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Interestingly I saw Eastern Rhinos enter the Barla National Cup. Do they always? I assume they’ll be in the London Premier League next season 

They've entered before, don't know if it's every season

Archived