2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I suppose that was my question, are some of the dark ales knocking around just mild?

Not the ones in pubs in my experience.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, chuffer said:

what on earth did Whitbread do to it? Thankfully I the original recipe and so might give a clone a bash

See what Padge said. However, the first thing the accountant did was to reduce the ABV to keep the duty (and therefore the price) down. Once you start reducing the quality to compete on price, you are on a very slippery slope to oblivion. The next thing they did was to start advertising. Now, Melanie Sykes was a beautiful girl and when those exotic, Mancunian vowels flowed from her mouth, it was a tantalising conundrum. So beautiful, so common. But, by then, 'Boddies' was doomed to blandness.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

56 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

See what Padge said. However, the first thing the accountant did was to reduce the ABV to keep the duty (and therefore the price) down. Once you start reducing the quality to compete on price, you are on a very slippery slope to oblivion. The next thing they did was to start advertising. Now, Melanie Sykes was a beautiful girl and when those exotic, Mancunian vowels flowed from her mouth, it was a tantalising conundrum. So beautiful, so common. But, by then, 'Boddies' was doomed to blandness.

I know what you mean about Melanie Sykes - I think I started buying more chocolate after I saw this...

article-1343738-0CA21539000005DC-668_634

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

37 minutes ago, chuffer said:

so basically they changed the malt bill, making it weak and bland, in order to pay for a dolly bird to rub it on her face in an advert?

Yes!

You've got to love Whitbread. Worst brewer brewery conglomerate ever.:bad:

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

41 minutes ago, chuffer said:

so basically they changed the malt bill, making it weak and bland, in order to pay for a dolly bird to rub it on her face in an advert?

Yep

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

9 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Yes!

You've got to love Whitbread. Worst brewer brewery conglomerate ever.:bad:

Queens ale.... a brief and all too infrequent burst into the real ale market.... was a nice drop....

Otherwise it was Trophy bitter when I was a young un in wombwell

12 hours ago, Padge said:

I'll say it, Boddingtons used to be beautiful. 

Boddingtons was an excellent pint.  They began expanding into Yorkshire in the late 70's, early 80's and it really was worth seeking out.  Very hoppy, with a strong aroma of malt.  The stuff they serve today is indistinguishable from all the other "smooth products"  All the accountants care about is the brand name.  They don't care where it's brewed or what it tastes like, they think that all that matters is the brand.  Carlsberg thought that they could move Tetleys from Leeds.  Even the cask beer tastes nothing like what the brewery in Leeds used to produce.  Fortunately the influx of smaller breweries and micro breweries have filled the gap.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Archived