One Yorkshire.

I think it's become more likely now Donny and Barnsley have pulled out the South Yorkshire deal. The Tories are digging their heals in, rather stubbornly and ignorantly in my opinion. I think it makes sense and will eventually happen. It should be a positive if it happens 

49 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm just thinking it night be just too big. Too diverse.

There's absolutely that risk, and getting agreement on matters will be the biggest challenge but if people can put aside personal agendas then the potential positives outweigh that. Even getting to this stage where all bar 1 council is up for it is an achievement and shows willing

Good idea in theory but I can't see it happening . I'd agree that maybe it's abit too big to manage.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

If the existing bureaucracies didn't exist this would be a goer definitely. Yorkshire is the "Brand" so to speak, and by having such a vast range within it it can offer far more than a Manchester or Birmingham alone city region could. Also I think councils like Bradford and Wakefield would be far more amenable to this than some "Leeds city region" name.

The problems will arise imo when a "Travel for Yorkshire" style agency is attempted to be set up and the various existing agencies fight for their own survival. It will take a hell of a lot of determination to get this through. Surely a Mayor would also predicate an assembly too? Where would that leave city councils - we couldn't have more politicians surely.

Or do we go for a Deal like Scottish or Welsh devolution - we're comparable in terms of population and economy after all and this would give us the blank canvass to start with that would be needed.

Sadly I think though the One Yorkshire is the best option, but due to both private and council vested interests I doubt it will happen and we'll be left behind manchester etc again.

On 24/09/2017 at 0:53 PM, Robin Evans said:

I'm just thinking it night be just too big. Too diverse.

Greater London has 33 boroughs and enough sense between them to realise just how much stronger they are when they come together.  The needs of, say, Kingston upon Thames, are very different to Brent and Newham but it works.  Just.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived