Regional leagues 2018

Made the mistake, this evening, of breaking up a journey from York to Huddersfield by watching a Yorkshire League First Division fixture at Ovenden Park (Halifax RUFC) between Queensbury and Keighley Albion. What a dreadful advert for amateur rugby league outside the National Conference League. A few Saturdays ago, I saw Queensbury, who can obviously play a bit, win an exciting game at Allerton Bywater. This evening, unfortunately, they seemed more interested in fighting. Queensbury had three sin-binned and another sent off. They finished the game with just 10 players on the field. Laughably, so witless were bottom-placed Albion (it never dawned on the visitors to get the ball wide), they not only failed to score against 10 but somehow managed to concede a try! All in all, absolute dross. A crowd of about 135 saw Queensbury win 38-4, to go top of the table, after leading 16-0 at half-time. Try count finished 8-1. Last time I watch Queensbury! Cricket tomorrow, I think. Likely to involve fewer headbangers.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:44 PM, bazza_merged said:

you can play on Thursday night and go to festivals/stag dos on the weekend

What about guys who work away or do you mean borrowing players from all over to fulfil a fixture which is completely different to actually fulfilling the fixture with your own players, this seems to be a tactic being used by many NCL clubs to fulfil 2nd team games

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

12 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Made the mistake, this evening, of breaking up a journey from York to Huddersfield by watching a Yorkshire League First Division fixture at Ovenden Park (Halifax RUFC) between Queensbury and Keighley Albion. What a dreadful advert for amateur rugby league outside the National Conference League. A few Saturdays ago, I saw Queensbury, who can obviously play a bit, win an exciting game at Allerton Bywater. This evening, unfortunately, they seemed more interested in fighting. Queensbury had three sin-binned and another sent off. They finished the game with just 10 players on the field. Laughably, so witless were bottom-placed Albion (it never dawned on the visitors to get the ball wide), they not only failed to score against 10 but somehow managed to concede a try! All in all, absolute dross. A crowd of about 135 saw Queensbury win 38-4, to go top of the table, after leading 16-0 at half-time. Try count finished 8-1. Last time I watch Queensbury! Cricket tomorrow, I think. Likely to involve fewer headbangers.

Was there a big difference between last nights Queensbury team (Players) and the one you watched against Allerton ?

21 hours ago, Marauder said:

Was there a big difference between last nights Queensbury team (Players) and the one you watched against Allerton ?

I couldn't say. The biff appeared to begin once Queensbury had the game won. Perhaps they were bored. Or it's how they behave generally on a Friday evening...

I applaud Bentley for wanting their first team there when their juniors play in a cup final, it means a lot to the kids who I assume  are the children of a lot of their first team players. (I know when I've watched them they always have a lot of kids pitch side.

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to find a game on in the Yorkshire League this afternoon (quite an achievement). King Cross Park outscored Division Two rivals Wibsey seven tries to three in winning 40-18. The hosts led 22-12 at half-time. An open, entertaining contest played in a good spirit. Wibsey trailed 6-22 after 26 minutes but never gave up. Indeed, they were the better side for spells during the second half. Just shy of a hundred spectators watching at the former home of King Cross Cricket Club. Nice set-up, close to Halifax RLFC's old Thrum Hall ground, with fine views over the Hebble Valley. Shame about the mid-match thunderstorm, complete with hail, on an otherwise sunny afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

WEST OF ENGLAND FINALS DAY

Championship Final

Bath RL 42-30 Cheltenham Phoenix

Grand Final

Swindon St George 14-22 All Golds

Two good games especially the Grand Final. Gutted Swindon couldn't quite get the win but proud of everyone who wore the red and white of St George. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

It’s a shame the finals day is in mid August though, very early. Are there any further games?

All Golds now represent the West of England in the Harry Jepsom Trophy. I think they play Saltash, the champions of the South West, in the 1st Round 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Correct Mr Rhino. All Golds visit Saltash Essayons this Sunday 19 August. Kick off 14.30 Venue Torpoint RFC.  Unfortunately going to miss it myself, due to family holiday.  The winners host the Midlands winners on September 2, at the same time the winners of London and East meet. Final at Hemel on September 9.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, Marauder said:

We've been working hard on our ground for the last three years or so, it's actually looking a lot better than the after photo I've posted (It was taken two years ago) I'll post some up to date photo's in the next couple of months when we get a 75 seater stand erected.

ground improvements 2.jpg

ground improvement 1.jpg

Footings going in for the new stand, should be completed within he next eight weeks.

stand footings.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived