Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kev p

Regional leagues 2018

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Bedford have a new ground too, so another for the list.  

Ahead of the game, went to the charity game against Luton last month

nice clubhouse and modern facilities, better than sharing with RU

Not been to Luton apart from years back when at Stockwood Park so East of England Cup a possible

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2018 at 6:37 PM, Marauder said:

Upton 22 v 24 East Hull, scrappy game of contrasting styles - I actually set out to watch Bentley but when I got there the game was off - why was there so many games of today ?

 

Saw Upton at Lindley Swifts last Saturday. Also a scrappy game - both teams conceded far too many penalties. Swifts won 56-20 (10 tries to three). Crowd of about 90. Pretty much confirmed my view RL was a better spectacle 30 years ago. Too much one-out rugby and (even worse) a lot of 'cheap yards' running from dummy half. A real shame Swifts' recent switch to a summer season resulted in the demise of Birchencliffe Cricket Club, who had played at the site since the 1950s. With the cricketers ousted, why don't Swifts rotate their pitch 90 degrees to make it longer? The present pitch, constrained by banks at each end, has tiny in goal areas.

Edited by Hopping Mad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Saw Upton at Lindley Swifts last Saturday. Also a scrappy game - both teams conceded far too many penalties. Swifts won 56-20 (10 tries to three). Crowd of about 90. Pretty much confirmed my view RL was a better spectacle 30 years ago. Too much one-out rugby and (even worse) a lot of 'cheap yards' running from dummy half. A real shame Swifts' recent switch to a summer season resulted in the demise of Birchencliffe Cricket Club, who had played at the site since the 1950s. With the cricketers ousted, why don't Swifts rotate their pitch 90 degrees to make it longer? The present pitch, constrained by banks at each end, has tiny in goal areas.

I went to watch Bentley v Siddal Academy, two well drilled sides with Bentley being a much bigger and older side which told as the game went on, however Siddal never once took a backwards step and played for the full 80 minutes, a decent crowd turned up including  many juniors from Bentley'.

Edited by Marauder

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WEST OF ENGLAND FIXTURES 
Saturday 9 June 
Bath RL v Swindon St George
All Golds v Cheltenham Phoenix 
Reading Raiders v Southampton Spitfires 
Oxford Cavaliers v Portsmouth Seahawks 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WEST OF ENGLAND RESULTS 

Saturday 9 June 

Bath RL 32-60 Swindon St George

All Golds 74-30 Cheltenham Phoenix 

Reading Raiders 86-4 Southampton Spitfires 

Oxford Cavaliers 76-6 Portsmouth Seahawks 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 1

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another good win for Nottingham Outlaws in Yorkshire Premier on Saturday, winning 36-32 away to Lindley. Tough performance going down to 2 interchanges pretty quickly in the first half (and that's with some lads playing on injured). Currently sitting 4th with 6 of our next 8 games at home! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2018 at 1:00 PM, Saint 1 said:

Another good win for Nottingham Outlaws in Yorkshire Premier on Saturday, winning 36-32 away to Lindley. Tough performance going down to 2 interchanges pretty quickly in the first half (and that's with some lads playing on injured). Currently sitting 4th with 6 of our next 8 games at home! 

Why is Saturday's home game with Upton now showing as P-P?

I have to be over in Halifax tomorrow. Over the weekend, I noticed King Cross Park had a YML home fixture with Boothtown Terriers. Great, I thought - a rugby league game to watch in the evening before heading back home. Surprise, surprise, it's now showing as P-P.

No wonder, most weekends, given the choice between watching cricket or amateur rugby league, I opt for the former. At least cricketers can be relied upon to turn up!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Why is Saturday's home game with Upton now showing as P-P?

I have to be over in Halifax tomorrow. Over the weekend, I noticed King Cross Park had a YML home fixture with Boothtown Terriers. Great, I thought - a rugby league game to watch in the evening before heading back home. Surprise, surprise, it's now showing as P-P.

No wonder, most weekends, given the choice between watching cricket or amateur rugby league, I opt for the former. At least cricketers can be relied upon to turn up!

 

Upton can't get a team out. And so it begins (again)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WEST OF ENGLAND FIXTURES 

Saturday 16 June 

Cheltenham Phoenix v Swindon St George A

Somerset Vikings v Bath RL

Southampton Spitfires v Oxford Cavaliers 

Portsmouth Seahawks v Reading Raiders 

 

Forest Bulldogs have pulled out of the League ?


2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 8:54 PM, Saint 1 said:

Upton can't get a team out. And so it begins (again)...

Thanks for the explanation. I saw Upton at Lindley recently. That afternoon, Upton's team featured a number of teenagers brought in to make up the numbers. One of their coaches said the club had player availability issues because of the summer season.

Edited by Hopping Mad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Thanks for the explanation. I saw Upton at Lindley recently. That afternoon, Upton's team featured a number of teenagers brought in to make up the numbers. One of their coaches said the club had player availability issues because of the summer season.

Yeah I've seen one of their coaches being very animated about availability on Twitter. I think the way team sport is going, the best strategy is to have a potential squad of 30-40 and then each week you're always going to have enough players, you're just not going to have the same players every single week because of stag dos/festivals/holidays. I also think clubs can't just assume that players are going to turn up like they did in the past - this is something we were probably guilty of last year but have managed to turn things around this year! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

upton seem to have plenty for home games.

away games are the issue wether its summer or winter

If that's true, what's the point of (the likes of) Upton being in any sort of league? Why don't they just play endless home friendlies, and have done with it, rather than letting down opposition teams? Most other sports (eg football, cricket, rugby union), at a similar level to regional amateur rugby league, usually manage to complete a season of scheduled fixtures without any problems. Why does amateur rugby league find it so difficult? Unfulfilled fixtures/numerous postponements make ARL look ridiculous. I feel sorry for clubs like Nottingham, who, outside the heartlands, are trying to build something lasting, yet come up against this kind of brick wall repeatedly, mainly because the opposition can't be arsed to travel 50 miles. It must be completely disheartening.

 

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

upton seem to have plenty for home games.

away games are the issue wether its summer or winter

Only game Upton's first team failed to play I believe was Queens away and we know the reason why


Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marauder said:

Only game Upton's first team failed to play I believe was Queens away and we know the reason why

When I played Yorkshire league, Upton was always one of the worst teams for not traveling to play.

They'd always play there home games though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's forecast weather was unpromising for cricket, so I opted to watch a second Yorkshire League game in a fortnight. Saw Queensbury pip hosts Allerton Bywater Bulldogs 26-22 to maintain their 100 per cent record from seven outings. Bury led 10-0 by the 22nd minute but trailed 14-22 after an hour. Converted tries in the 68th and 71st minutes saw the visitors to victory. For long spells, Allerton Bywater were the better side. An exchange of punches (not the first or the last) in the 27th minute resulted in a player from each team being red-carded. Very high error count (there was a desperate need, on both teams, for someone with a bit of composure), an undercurrent of ill-feeling and some eccentric refereeing - not, I'd suggest, the greatest advert for amateur rugby league. But at least it was close!

 

Edited by Hopping Mad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Today's forecast weather was unpromising for cricket, so I opted to watch a second Yorkshire League game in a fortnight. Saw Queensbury pip hosts Allerton Bywater Bulldogs 26-22 to maintain their 100 per cent record from seven outings. Bury led 10-0 by the 22nd minute but trailed 14-22 after an hour. Converted tries in the 68th and 71st minutes saw the visitors to victory. For long spells, Allerton Bywater were the better side. An exchange of punches (not the first or the last) in the 27th minute resulted in a player from each team being red-carded. Very high error count (there was a desperate need, on both teams, for someone with a bit of composure), an undercurrent of ill-feeling and some eccentric refereeing - not, I'd suggest, the greatest advert for amateur rugby league. But at least it was close!

 

Allerton are a good set of lads in the winter, they're normally well drilled and consistent.


Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 8:54 PM, Saint 1 said:

Upton can't get a team out. And so it begins (again)...

Another example yesterday. Acquaintance of mine went to Sherburn Bears (YML Div 4), only to discover opponents Worth Village simply didn't bother turning up. It makes rugby league look like a joke sport.

A Queensbury coach I spoke to at Allerton Bywater yesterday was moaning about the daftness of amateur rugby league being playing in summer, when everyone, in his view, has better things to do. I hear this everywhere I go in the amateur game, though mostly outside the NCL. How long before ARL ceases to exist below the NCL? Dare one say it: how long before RL ceases to exist below Super League?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WEST OF ENGLAND RESULTS 

Saturday 16 June 

Cheltenham Phoenix 36-36 Swindon St George A 

Somerset Vikings 34-26 Bath RL

Southampton Spitfires 4-30 Oxford Cavaliers 

Can't find the Portsmouth Seahawks v Reading Raiders result. Hope it happened 


2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WEST OF ENGLAND FIXTURES 

Saturday 23 June 

Oxford Cavaliers v Reading Raiders 

Portsmouth Seahawks v Southampton Spitfires 

 

 

DOUBLE HEADER AT SWINDON 

Swindon St George A v All Golds

Swindon St George v Somerset Vikings 

First game kicks off at 1.00 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr Rhino, you were slightly ahead on that announcement.  Your posting was a good few hours ahead of the All Golds being asked about a change in kick off time.  As a club Director, and the person responsible for the admin side of the club, this was the first I had heard of it.  Having said that, I have since had a pleasant text exchange with Swindon St George, and can confirm that the first game is taking place at 1.00 which is slightly earlier. 

Thanks though for your postings on the West of England League, it's much appreciated, and is often easier to find fixtures/results here than on RFL website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Styx said:

Mr Rhino, you were slightly ahead on that announcement.  Your posting was a good few hours ahead of the All Golds being asked about a change in kick off time.  As a club Director, and the person responsible for the admin side of the club, this was the first I had heard of it.  Having said that, I have since had a pleasant text exchange with Swindon St George, and can confirm that the first game is taking place at 1.00 which is slightly earlier. 

Thanks though for your postings on the West of England League, it's much appreciated, and is often easier to find fixtures/results here than on RFL website.

I like to be ahead of things ?

 

See you Saturday 


2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2018 at 11:03 AM, Hopping Mad said:

Another example yesterday. Acquaintance of mine went to Sherburn Bears (YML Div 4), only to discover opponents Worth Village simply didn't bother turning up. It makes rugby league look like a joke sport.

A Queensbury coach I spoke to at Allerton Bywater yesterday was moaning about the daftness of amateur rugby league being playing in summer, when everyone, in his view, has better things to do. I hear this everywhere I go in the amateur game, though mostly outside the NCL. How long before ARL ceases to exist below the NCL? Dare one say it: how long before RL ceases to exist below Super League?

I was talking to some people Saturday and they said exactly the same and they are associated with an NCL club and were pro summer, unfortunately things aren’t going to change, my son plays NCL he has something on for the next 6 weeks and will miss 3 games and he ain’t taken a holiday this year.

Someone even said the commitment isn’t there and we signed up for the season I said yes but there were no festivals etc back then, and not many took their holidays at that time of the year, with a natural break at Christmas ? 

But let’s not be negative and I look forward to all these new clubs and players coming into the game as was predicted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:03 AM, Hopping Mad said:

Another example yesterday. Acquaintance of mine went to Sherburn Bears (YML Div 4), only to discover opponents Worth Village simply didn't bother turning up. It makes rugby league look like a joke sport.

A Queensbury coach I spoke to at Allerton Bywater yesterday was moaning about the daftness of amateur rugby league being playing in summer, when everyone, in his view, has better things to do. I hear this everywhere I go in the amateur game, though mostly outside the NCL. How long before ARL ceases to exist below the NCL? Dare one say it: how long before RL ceases to exist below Super League?

You get the same in the NCL, they just dare not say anything in public and the standard has dropped at most NCL clubs because of players not being available week in and week out and with a unlimited squad members they can sign any half decent regional player who'll think he's made the grade

"Yes a few teams seem to be doing OK in the summer but most are struggling"

I wish everyone would be honest so we could get a true reading of the amateur game.


Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am involved with an NCL club and I can tell you most clubs seem to be struggling for numbers and committment ,it is very rare for most clubs to have the same team two week running. Think most club coaches and administrators will tell you this. There are a few exceptions and well done to them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...