Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Maximus Decimus

The Culture Wars

I already saw the Avi Yemini video on YT. I've never had a high opinion of Jefferies but I don't know how much grunt this expose will pack. I don't think Yemini has a big enough audience to damage Jefferies and I don't think Jefferies is a big enough target to encourage people with clout to take up the cause.

I like some of Yemini's stuff but overall he;s too conservative for me. For me, he's a bit like Tim Pool: I don't usually agree with him but he picks some good issues.

• Like 1

There's a Salon article which is just a long, long hit-piece on Joe Rogan which isn't worth reading but contains the following bizarre denunciation:

The common thread is the privileging of “common sense” over all other inputs in the struggle to forge a life philosophy, and the idealization of one’s own life experience over that of other people.

Doesn't the writer know that the idealisation of lived experience is one of the central tenets of Intersectionality. Authority and credibility within intersectionality can only be attained by the lived experience of multiple overlapping forms of oppression. In an article intended to demonise the critics of IdPol, this seems a strange charge to level at Rogan and his guests.

NON SEQUITUR OF THE WEEK goes to NZ bookshop Whitcoulls. In a reaction to the Christchurch mosque shooting, the bookshop has withdrawn Jordan Peterson's "12 Rules for Life" from sale.

In an email to customers a Whitcoulls spokeswoman said the book 12 Rules for Life was currently unavailable.

“A decision that Whitcoulls has made in light of some extremely disturbing material being circulated prior, during and after the Christchurch attacks,” it said.

“As a business which takes our responsibilities to our communities very seriously, we believe it would be wrong to support the author at this time.”

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/media/whitcoulls-pulls-jordan-petersons-12-rules-for-life-following-christchurch-attacks/news-story/44479280c616409d61042ccb148e4574

Nazis can relax though, as the bookshop still has Mein Kampf available.

D2MwEgYU0AAwl7D.jpg:large

• Confused 1

I agree with pointing out Rogan brings on people with "interesting ideas" that always seem to be right wingers. It needs calling out. 

27 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

NON SEQUITUR OF THE WEEK goes to NZ bookshop Whitcoulls. In a reaction to the Christchurch mosque shooting, the bookshop has withdrawn Jordan Peterson's "12 Rules for Life" from sale.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/media/whitcoulls-pulls-jordan-petersons-12-rules-for-life-following-christchurch-attacks/news-story/44479280c616409d61042ccb148e4574

Nazis can relax though, as the bookshop still has Mein Kampf available.

D2MwEgYU0AAwl7D.jpg:large

The cynic in me tells me that the left loves these atrocities because it presents an opportunity for a power grab and to stifle free speech. I’ve read Jordan Peterson’s work and there’s nothing in there to suggest that he is alt right or whatever the reason is for pulling his book from the shelves. Just a decade ago, he would have been considered mainstream which shows how far left we’ve gone. Book burning straight out of nazi Germany. History sure has a funny way of repeating itself 

• Like 1

At what point do we call out the far left for their double standards and hypocrisy which add more fuel to the fire in more ways than the alt right ever could? 

The alt right has been shunned to obscure parts of the web and rightly so, whereas these sort of far left opinions and views are accepted on social media platforms. 

Seriously, when? 

6C05CC8E-957C-453C-951A-CB6F2C591273.jpeg

7C5EF13F-D262-4024-B203-A6AE091A4A45.jpeg

19 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

I agree with pointing out Rogan brings on people with "interesting ideas" that always seem to be right wingers. It needs calling out. 

I don't watch him but I just checked his site and these were some of his guests: Andrew Yang, Steven Pinker, Dr Phil, Henry Rollins, Jack Dorsey and Vijaya Gadde (from Twitter), Tim Pool, Louis Theroux. That was just the first page. I don't see any right-wingers there. Pool and Rollins both supported Bernie Sanders. Jack Dorsey and Vijaya Gadde are two of the most powerful anti-right wingers in the US.

Avi Yemini fans seem to be out in force. On Jim Jefferies twitter, every tweet is replied to by Yeminites with a copy of the above video. Calling Avi an Islamophobe won't hurt him at all but I can't wait to hear Jefferies' explanation for why he connected Muslim babies to dingo vomit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Except he doesn't. Unlike Rubin he actually speaks to both. Unlike others also, he will actually call people out of they say something that might not be true. 

Edited by Maximus Decimus

2 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I don't watch him but I just checked his site and these were some of his guests: Andrew Yang, Steven Pinker, Dr Phil, Henry Rollins, Jack Dorsey and Vijaya Gadde (from Twitter), Tim Pool, Louis Theroux. That was just the first page. I don't see any right-wingers there. Pool and Rollins both supported Bernie Sanders. Jack Dorsey and Vijaya Gadde are two of the most powerful anti-right wingers in the US.

I like him but I don't watch him religiously, depends very much who he has on. He's very honest I think, much more so than many so called skeptics.

Hes doing what Dave Rubin suggested he would do before he became another right winger and that is talk to literally anyone. Interestingly, Rubin had quite a hard time on Rogan a while back and he wasn't buying his stuff. 

I watch Rogan from time to time and seems to me he gets quite a varied group of guests.

The one with Leah Remini(?) about Scientology is well worth a watch/listen if anyone is thinking of trying his podcast out.

• Like 1

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

17 hours ago, Dave T said:

Anybody can complain to the police if they think they are being bullied and harassed. 

I also think it is important to realise that it is perfectly legal to have horrible or dissenting views. People can be racist, sexist, transphobic, whatever they want to be - where it becomes a slight issue is when they effectively stand up in the pub and start shouting about those views there is always a risk of some people complaining, and you run the risk of being pulled for hate crimes etc.

There are two very important points here:

1 - in pretty much all of these 'poor innocent person makes a mistake in retweeting something offensive' stories, it eventually turns out that the person is never just a normal person on twitter with a couple of hundred followers talking about Rugby, football and current affairs. They tend to be campaigners at the more extreme end of the spectrum.

2 - has anyone actually been arrested and charged in any of these nonsense stories?

I find it interesting that people are very happy to see people arrested in cases where people are offensive to footballers etc. mocking dead babies and family members and are happy to see arrests. But when the unsavoury hateful posts are against a trans person, they are less on board and it becomes an issue of free speech.

But there comes a point where the rush to report incidents to the police itself becomes a form of bullying, as this story seems to suggest, although it's certainly an odd one.

As I suggested earlier, transgender lobby groups seem remarkable well organised, not least in intimidating anyone who is seen to disagree with their agenda.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

But there comes a point where the rush to report incidents to the police itself becomes a form of bullying, as this story seems to suggest, although it's certainly an odd one.

As I suggested earlier, transgender lobby groups seem remarkable well organised, not least in intimidating anyone who is seen to disagree with their agenda.

I don't agree with your last line, although I am sure there are examples to be found. I think the problem is how people 'disagree'. Usually the cases that we are discussing involve actions that absolutely verge on harassment and hate.

Like I say, it is perfectly possible for you to hold the view that trans women are men. That is your prerogative to hold that view. When you start publicly and usually offensively challenging trans people because of that view you hold, it becomes an issue.

In the cases I have read about, there are very often examples of these people publicly belittling people telling them that they are not women and they were born with a penis. The way some of these vulnerable people are publicly treated is disgraceful. I find it natural that there will be some aggressive defence, even if I don't often agree with extremists on either side of anything.

The narrative being created is that the police are knocking on the door of poor innocent people who just so happen to retweet something which hurts somebody, when often, these people have engaged in sustained offensive campaigns against trans people.

7 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I like how you did a cursory review of his site and then decided you were right and I was wrong.

4 hours ago, Vambo said:

I watch Rogan from time to time and seems to me he gets quite a varied group of guests.

The one with Leah Remini(?) about Scientology is well worth a watch/listen if anyone is thinking of trying his podcast out.

He does get quite varied , Brian Cox, Alex Honald, naming two I’ve listened to.  He doesn’t tend to go deep with the questions though, it’s more a Everyman chat.  They can go quite interesting places.

However, he doesn’t always go that deep on more controversial characters either, Alex Jones, Milo, McInnes, etc.  Which is why people have been talking about the show as a ‘gateway’ for ages.  Long before whatever that last article was.

You can probably see it more with the range of guests he has on regarding fitness, diet and health.  Plenty of opposing views, often within days of each other, without context, push back or reference to each other.  No ‘X said this last week, what do you Y think about that’.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

So, anyway, away from the comedy world of pretending spats on YouTube are important, here are some kids not getting an education because white people with guns might kill them ...

… in America.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, bbfaz said:

I like how you did a cursory review of his site and then decided you were right and I was wrong.

His podcast has been running for 10 years. I didn't intend to go through the whole thing just to prove your statement was incorrect. I didn't "decide" you were wrong. The evidence uncovered by a cursory glance proved you were wrong.

If you read my post I didn't say anything pro-Rogan so I had no need to prove I was right. My post was about the author of the smear piece and his failure to grasp that the very thing he was criticising Rogan over was an article of faith in Intersectional Identity Politics. If you had said "Many of his guests seem to be right wingers," I probably would have agreed with you.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

So, anyway, away from the comedy world of pretending spats on YouTube are important, here are some kids not getting an education because white people with guns might kill them ...

… in America.

Liberal hysterics by the sounds of it 

5 hours ago, Farmduck said:

His podcast has been running for 10 years. I didn't intend to go through the whole thing just to prove your statement was incorrect. I didn't "decide" you were wrong. The evidence uncovered by a cursory glance proved you were wrong.

If you read my post I didn't say anything pro-Rogan so I had no need to prove I was right. My post was about the author of the smear piece and his failure to grasp that the very thing he was criticising Rogan over was an article of faith in Intersectional Identity Politics. If you had said "Many of his guests seem to be right wingers," I probably would have agreed with you.

I've been familiar with Joe and his career back to his first run with the UFC and when he was on a sitcom. I stopped listening to the show because he was disproportionately giving a platform to alt-right argumentative types like Shapiro and Yiannopoulos. He doesn't always go political but when he does, it's almost always to the lunatic fringe.