Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Maximus Decimus

The Culture Wars

2 hours ago, bbfaz said:

I've been familiar with Joe and his career back to his first run with the UFC and when he was on a sitcom. I stopped listening to the show because he was disproportionately giving a platform to alt-right argumentative types like Shapiro and Yiannopoulos. He doesn't always go political but when he does, it's almost always to the lunatic fringe. 

The perception of people on the left is that they cannot accept other opinions as equally valid to their own. It is hard to disagree sometimes.

I'm not a fan of Ben Shapiro and find very little that I agree with him on. The reality is however, that his opinion is a pretty mainstream conservative one. The determination to paint everybody with an opinion that deviates from liberalism as extreme, and the implication that they shouldn't be talked to really doesn't help the liberal cause. Mainly because most people can see that they aren't extremists at all. 

Milo I didn't watch because I couldn't stand him (past tense because he's virtually irrelevant), but talking to him isn't necessarily an endorsement of his ideas. Just like when he had Alex Jones on, do you think Rogan was endorsing all the nonsense he was spouting?

I'm a big fan of Dr Phil but he did an episode on white privilege recently that I didn't much like. If I thought like many on the left I would've now disowned him and wrote him off as a SJW sympathiser. This week he had Ben Shapiro on who he introduced as 'his good friend Ben.'

How is this even possible? Or could it really be that some people are able to look at people as individuals rather than physical personifications of a political position. 

9 hours ago, bbfaz said:

I've been familiar with Joe and his career back to his first run with the UFC and when he was on a sitcom. I stopped listening to the show because he was disproportionately giving a platform to alt-right argumentative types like Shapiro and Yiannopoulos. He doesn't always go political but when he does, it's almost always to the lunatic fringe. 

Do you even know what "alt-right" means? Doesn't look like it. When did Ben Shapiro start advocating a white ethnostate in the USA with a fascist political system and ethnic cleansing of minorities? I'm surprised I didn't hear about it.

10 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Shapiro is alt right? You hear that? A Jew is considered alt right! Lol you can’t even make this stuff up anymore. The left has gone crazy. Shows far left they’ve gone when people who make sensible arguments, while at the same time not even fitting the mould to be alt right, is considered alt right

3 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Do you even know what "alt-right" means? Doesn't look like it. When did Ben Shapiro start advocating a white ethnostate in the USA with a fascist political system and ethnic cleansing of minorities? I'm surprised I didn't hear about it.

Alt right = rejecting mainstream conservatism and espousing views often considered extreme, usually through social media.

It was the first response on google. Nothing to do with white ethno states or fascist systems.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Shapiro is alt right? You hear that? A Jew is considered alt right! Lol you can’t even make this stuff up anymore. The left has gone crazy. Shows far left they’ve gone when people who make sensible arguments, while at the same time not even fitting the mould to be alt right, is considered alt right

Yes. This post definitely makes me think it’s “the left” that’s gone crazy.

How is the weather in Shipley today?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Alt right = rejecting mainstream conservatism and espousing views often considered extreme, usually through social media.

It was the first response on google. Nothing to do with white ethno states or fascist systems.

So if Alt Right founder ad leader Richard Spencer disagreed with Google who would you believe?

Just now, Farmduck said:

So if Alt Right founder ad leader Richard Spencer disagreed with Google who would you believe?

Is Richard Spencer the one who got punched? I may have to watch that video again for comedy value.

I wouldn’t trust him as far as I could throw him so I’ll take the dispassionate algorithm for now.

12 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Remember, help will always be there if you need it. 

20 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The perception of people on the left is that they cannot accept other opinions as equally valid to their own. It is hard to disagree sometimes.

I'm not a fan of Ben Shapiro and find very little that I agree with him on. The reality is however, that his opinion is a pretty mainstream conservative one. The determination to paint everybody with an opinion that deviates from liberalism as extreme, and the implication that they shouldn't be talked to really doesn't help the liberal cause. Mainly because most people can see that they aren't extremists at all. 

Milo I didn't watch because I couldn't stand him (past tense because he's virtually irrelevant), but talking to him isn't necessarily an endorsement of his ideas. Just like when he had Alex Jones on, do you think Rogan was endorsing all the nonsense he was spouting?

I'm a big fan of Dr Phil but he did an episode on white privilege recently that I didn't much like. If I thought like many on the left I would've now disowned him and wrote him off as a SJW sympathiser. This week he had Ben Shapiro on who he introduced as 'his good friend Ben.'

How is this even possible? Or could it really be that some people are able to look at people as individuals rather than physical personifications of a political position. 

Dr Phil says masturbation is cheating. 

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

And what?

Is that his one strike and he is out? 

Generally speaking, he's a creepy pantie-sniffing didactic weirdo.  What he teaches people is simplistic, arrogant, entitled nonsense.  My nitwit cousin quotes him all the time and, surprise surprise, she's arrogant and entitled. He's sex-negative and his advice doesn't stand up to psychological, psychiatric or psychotherapeutic scrutiny.  He's a good talker and, if his life is anything to judge, has an ability to sell stuff that he can't truly deliver.  Dr Phil is terrible.  He's part of the problem.  As a strident critic of Dr Phil, I assume Rogan took him to pieces.

And on the earlier point, if Ben Shapiro is a mainstream conservative voice, it just goes to show how messed up the world has become.  He's very very far right but the way the American political discourse goes now, a liberal is too lefty for them.  Liberalism is a capitalist ideology, just a very soft one, and that's too left for them.  How messed up is that?  Shapiro is another good talker, who is callous and twisted.  This is a guy who told people that college indoctrinates people when he hadn't been to college.  He has repeatedly quoted studies to prove his point which say the exact opposite.  Whoever said he's Jewish and can't be alt-right can't be listening to what Milo says about himself, given they're also anti-LGBT.  You're allowed to be in the club, so long as you're a "good one".

On 3/22/2019 at 9:15 PM, Maximus Decimus said:

If this is mainstream Conservative, perhaps that is the issue?

IMG_20190323_232505.jpg

IMG_20190323_232435.jpg

22 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yes. This post definitely makes me think it’s “the left” that’s gone crazy.

How is the weather in Shipley today?

The (far) left has definitely gone crazy. What’s worse is that they want to impose their views on everyone else. Authoritarianism at its finest 

12 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Remember, help will always be there if you need it. 

Looks like you’re having a hard time conducting the required mental gymnastics to paint Mr Shapiro as alt right so you resort to childish remarks. Typical  

7 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

If this is mainstream Conservative, perhaps that is the issue?

IMG_20190323_232505.jpg

IMG_20190323_232435.jpg

Well, quite ...

12 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Looks like you’re having a hard time conducting the required mental gymnastics to paint Mr Shapiro as alt right so you resort to childish remarks. Typical  

I will gladly debate or talk to or discuss anything with anybody who i think is sane. However, if I think somebody is insane, I will try my hardest to get that person help and not engage their deluded fantasies. I think that is the kindest way to deal with that situation.

It isn't appropriate to describe that as "typical" when I don't do that with anybody else.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bbfaz said:

I will gladly debate or talk to or discuss anything with anybody who i think is sane. However, if I think somebody is insane, I will try my hardest to get that person help and not engage their deluded fantasies. I think that is the kindest way to deal with that situation.

It isn't appropriate to describe that as "typical" when I don't do that with anybody else.

Let’s hope you’re talking about your alter ego which paints a Jewish man as alt right. Just waiting for Candace Owens to become the leader of the KKK 

2 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Let’s hope you’re talking about your alter ego which paints a Jewish man as alt right. Just waiting for Candace Owens to become the leader of the KKK 

Crazy people don't think they're going insane, they think they're becoming saner.

9 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

Crazy people don't think they're going insane, they think they're becoming saner.

Well I hope the other alter egos know about this so they can get help for you 

Just now, Yorkshire Knight said:

Well I hope the other alter egos know about this so they can get help for you 

Sorry for not knowing which reprehensible liar fits into which reprehensible lying group or which reprehensible liar has distanced himself from another group of reprehensible liars.  For my money, Shapiro's career has been as alt-right as you can get for a Jewish person.  I understand now through a Google search that he fell out with Bannon et al a few years ago over God know's what.  For that, I'm sorry.

In the meantime, please steer clear of Sesame Street or anything else you might feel is spreading some rampant leftist agenda (also known as basic human kindness) and get help.  Some of your rantings are worrysome and completely detached from reality.  I don't want another Elliot Rodger on our hands.

18 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

Sorry for not knowing which reprehensible liar fits into which reprehensible lying group or which reprehensible liar has distanced himself from another group of reprehensible liars.  For my money, Shapiro's career has been as alt-right as you can get for a Jewish person.  I understand now through a Google search that he fell out with Bannon et al a few years ago over God know's what.  For that, I'm sorry.

In the meantime, please steer clear of Sesame Street or anything else you might feel is spreading some rampant leftist agenda (also known as basic human kindness) and get help.  Some of your rantings are worrysome and completely detached from reality.  I don't want another Elliot Rodger on our hands.

I have to hand it to the left, they are the masters of linguistics. From hijacking the word ‘liberal’ to disguising their desire for authoritarianism as ‘tolerance’ and now ‘basic human kindness’. It really is impressive how they have managed to attach themselves to all these ideas most of society would agree with. But in reality, what leftists stand for is the complete antithesis of what they claim. From shutting down free speech to banning conservative speakers to labelling people ‘racist’ and ‘alt right’, especially a Jewish man, leftists sure do have a history of authoritarianism and sure enough are repeating that in the west 

4 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

I have to hand it to the left, they are the masters of linguistics. From hijacking the word ‘liberal’ to disguising their desire for authoritarianism as ‘tolerance’ and now ‘basic human kindness’. It really is impressive how they have managed to attach themselves to all these ideas most of society would agree with. But in reality, what leftists stand for is the complete antithesis of what they claim. From shutting down free speech to banning conservative speakers to labelling people ‘racist’ and ‘alt right’, especially a Jewish man, leftists sure do have a history of authoritarianism and sure enough are repeating that in the west 

What do you think "liberal" means then?

Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on liberty and equality.[1][2][3] Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but they generally support civil rights, democracy, secularism, gender equality, racial equality, internationalism, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, and free markets

Which ones do you think should not be supported?

4 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

I tried to be kind, I tried to be rational.  Neither of them worked.  You are a plague on this board, the lack of moderation towards you needs to stop.  At this point, I have to stop feeding the troll.  If they won't moderate you, I have to.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shadow said:

What do you think "liberal" means then?

Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on liberty and equality.[1][2][3] Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but they generally support civil rights, democracy, secularism, gender equality, racial equality, internationalism, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, and free markets

Which ones do you think should not be supported?

I can see numerous principles in there that the American left have violated and continue to violate. 

Classic liberalism and modern day ‘liberalism’ are obvious not the same

3 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

I tried to be kind, I tried to be rational.  Neither of them worked.  You are a plague on this board, the lack of moderation towards you needs to stop.  At this point, I have to stop feeding the troll.  If they won't moderate you, I have to.

So what you’re really trying to say is that you want me to be silenced because you don’t like what I have to say. Can’t say I’m surprised really