Workington & Bradford in live streaming beef

9 minutes ago, yanto said:

They have distributed the game  ..just been watching it...Seems Town didnt want it streamed LIVE.

Even the amatuers in the Challenge Cup were denied live streams but were OK to stream it later.

Was it London Chargers v Hammersmith via BAR TV ?

Maybe possible infringement of the BBC/SKY tv rights to the CC  If I remember.

After the Leigh v Toronto game and now this maybe its time the RFL took a look at their rules regarding Live streaming because more and more clubs could/should be making this option available in my opinion.

Available free of charge?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Michael Gledhill said:

Amazing? 

Workington Town gave us permission to film the game, just not to stream it in anyway shape or form.

Enjoy the delay replay, it's one of the better games of 2018. 

I kind of feel like you are streaming it though?

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Surely that funding should come from monetising that interest rather than a hand out from Super League.

Sky Sports have the rights to League One and are very much welcome to broadcast any game they like.

You can't monetise the interest when Sky Sports own the rights. 

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

I dont know Sky do own the rights (if they were then Sky would be paying them for them and Lenegan couldnt cut them off.) but thats irrelevant There are more ways to monetise the rights than selling to Sky. League 1 are never going to get a meaningful rights contract from a TV contract. New Media is a the only option for them. 10-14k viewers has value, build that and monetise it. Whether through sponsorship,  ads, or subscriptions.

That is precisely why the Bradford Bulls have dipped the toe in the live stream water.

I'm almost certain the next broadcast deal will incorporate the ever changing demographic of consuming  live streaming.

They'll be a massive scramble for clubs to build and generate audiences.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Whats the point in filming it if they can't distribute it?

they have distributed it with a time delay cant see a problem with that . I watch most of the games on sky later as I record them and I don't have a problem with that . 

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

There is a problem with it. Far fewer people watch sports on time delay than watch them live. Its interest and popularity is negligible after the event.

seems not as Bradford are claiming over 10,000 have watched it and that is far more than watch Bradford games at odsal .

perhaps the spat has actually made more people aware of the facility now so maybe town have helped the bully to advertise the fact that they put games online  

6 minutes ago, southstand loiner said:

seems not as Bradford are claiming over 10,000 have watched it and that is far more than watch Bradford games at odsal .

perhaps the spat has actually made more people aware of the facility now so maybe town have helped the bully to advertise the fact that they put games online  

Where did "Bradford" claim anything?  All I have seen is a personal post from Mick Gledhill.

Your prejudices are very plain for all to see.  Pretty sad really.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

2 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

Where did "Bradford" claim anything?  All I have seen is a personal post from Mick Gledhill.

hey good enough for me if Mr Bradford says it  then it must be true .

Just now, southstand loiner said:

hey good enough for me if Mr Bradford says it  then it must be true .

Have you been on the sherry?  Since that makes zero sense to me.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

25 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

Have you been on the sherry?  Since that makes zero sense to me.

is that my problem . the guy who is involved with the recording and I would think the website that's put out the recording comes up with a figure so are we supposed to think he is telling lies as I'm sure he would have to report a figure of some description to the bulls  . hardly think he would be putting out false figures lets face it nobody with even a passing involvement with  Bradford would ever do that .

So the sherry it was then. I suspect I enjoyed my couple of glasses of a rather nice Rioja more.

5 hours ago, Adeybull said:

Your prejudices are very plain for all to see.  Pretty sad really.

Mick Gledhill's claim..correct.

Viewing figures at the bottom of the pic shows it has reached 11,000.

The spat regarding streaming seems to have worked out in a possative way in the end .Checking the figures on other Proper Sport broadcasts this seems a record breaker.

Doubtfull 11,000 woud have tuned in Live. 

town v bulls.PNG

1 hour ago, yanto said:

The spat regarding streaming seems to have worked out in a possative way in the end .Checking the figures on other Proper Sport broadcasts this seems a record breaker.

town v bulls.PNG

I wasn't disputing the views figures, but taking issue with the poster's attitude in his post.  Mick was anyway posting in a personal capacity. 

Whether or not 11k represents 11k different viewers, and whether or not it reflects whole-match views, your conclusion does seem very sound.

2 hours ago, yanto said:

town v bulls.PNG

That 11,500 figure will eventually climb into the mid 20,000s once the game is shared by more people across the Facebook platfoem.

Ultimately, this is great promotion and exposure for both Workington, Bradford and the League One competition. 

What pleases me the most is the comments for the above game - where Workington Town supporters - who have haven't frequented Derwent Park this season are now saying they will be at the next home game.

That is the power of social media sports streaming. 

Since we started broadcasting the games at the start of the season,  the record number of views currently stands at just over 168,000 for the York City Knights vs Bradford Bulls League One opener. 

Of those 168,000 views, 94,000 were unique viewers. It's been well documented in League Express that numerous Championship and League One clubs are now exploring the option of producing their own live streams.

ln my opinion there is no reason why Sky Sports couldn't stream one game per week from the Championship or League One. The figures that we've generated so far, so a high level of interest in the streaming of Rugby League. 

Just a reminder that this coming Sunday, you can watch Bradford Bulls vs Coventry Bears at 2:00pm and then Bradford Bulls vs Leeds Rhinos in the Women's Super League season opener at 3:45pm.

57 minutes ago, bromleybulldog said:

And so Proper sports are also providing free live streaming to all of Bradford Bulls home games as well?

they have done it for all bulls games home and away although its a bit unclear if there allowed to do it for the challenge cup game .

I watch them later as I'm at games most times they are streamed and that's fine for me .

3 minutes ago, southstand loiner said:

they have done it for all bulls games home and away although its a bit unclear if there allowed to do it for the challenge cup game .

I watch them later as I'm at games most times they are streamed and that's fine for me .

We have permission from the RFL to stream the Challenge Cup games but only on replay delay due to the BBC being the primary rights holder.

5 minutes ago, Michael Gledhill said:

We have permission from the RFL to stream the Challenge Cup games but only on replay delay due to the BBC being the primary rights holder.

cheers mick I will certainly been watching that game . no problem with your broadcasts which are of good quality .

I think you know the gist of the town argument so I think that's pretty much been put to bed now not much to be gained by endlessly raking over the ashes 

25 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

More would have tuned in live. The idea fewer people would watch a game live than if it was on delay and live seems pretty ludicrous. I mean we know this from Sky broadcasts, hundreds of thousands will watch live, negligible amounts watch replays.

Talking Workington v Bradford here. More than 11,000 live?? ... I think it's hit that figure through the publicity surrounding the streaming and the result once know. Off course I maybe way off the mark. 

44 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

More would have tuned in live. The idea fewer people would watch a game live than if it was on delay and live seems pretty ludicrous. I mean we know this from Sky broadcasts, hundreds of thousands will watch live, negligible amounts watch replays.

It's difficult to say how many would have watched the game if it was live, but I'd say you could have expected at least 15,000 viewers.

The online listening figures for the game through Bulls Live and Proper Sport simulcast platforms were roughly 10,000 - which was split 5,000 listeners on each.

You then had BBC Radio Cumbria and their listeners to add to the above figure.

I'm really intriqued to see how many people watch the Women's Super League opener between Bradford and Leeds on Sunday afternoon. 

12 minutes ago, Michael Gledhill said:

It's difficult to say how many would have watched the game if it was live, but I'd say you could have expected at least 15,000 viewers.

The online listening figures for the game through Bulls Live and Proper Sport simulcast platforms were roughly 10,000 - which was split 5,000 listeners on each.

You then had BBC Radio Cumbria and their listeners to add to the above figure.

I'm really intriqued to see how many people watch the Women's Super League opener between Bradford and Leeds on Sunday afternoon. 

I saw the watching "live" figure was around 1500-1800 for the York match. I dipped back and forth to that game probably 10-12 times over the 80 minutes. Proper Sports also sometimes automatically plays on my timeline whether I click to watch the content or not so the figures are ambiguous to say the least. No doubt it has generated good interest though. Mick is also improving out of sight with his work over the last year or so. Kudos my friend.

Archived