Travelling to Perpignan

On 11/21/2018 at 6:54 AM, deluded pom? said:

Thanks John Rhino. I’m just looking at a long weekend.

Enjoy. Its still possible to do it from Carcassonne though. 

Perpignan has a nice fort and some good eateries but not a huge amount to commend it 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/22/2018 at 8:20 AM, RP London said:

When we drove from Girona to Canet Le Plange on the motorway I dont remember being stopped for a passport check in either direction.. 

Sometimes do !-stopped once from france to spanish border in 2010.

On 11/22/2018 at 10:38 AM, Wildcat said:

Last time I went we stayed in Carcassonne which is beautiful but next year we are thinking of staying in Perpignan  itself.

How far is the Stadium from the centre of Perpignan? is it a couple of miles? 

There is an excellent bus service to the stadium.

We usually walk, it's a straightforward route, maybe 4.5 Km, and takes about 50 - 55 minutes 

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, John Rhino said:

Enjoy. Its still possible to do it from Carcassonne though. 

Perpignan has a nice fort and some good eateries but not a huge amount to commend it 

Its knowing where to look and what you want from it.  Is that 'Fort' the Castillet or the Palace of the Kings of Majorca? :)

IMO to go for a weekend has to be at least 1 full day sight seeing.  Flight there and back on match day or the day after aint going to offer too many opportunities.

If I had to recommend 1 day I would give a choice of:

1. Gorges de Galamus and then travel up to Peyrepertreuse.  Travel back via Queribus.  (Cathar Castles).  Gorge is enchanting and overhangs the road.  If you don't fancy the drop - don't go!  Peyrepertreuse blows your mind on how they even built it.  Health & safety out of the window though.

2. Font Romeu and Thomas le Bain baths, taking in Prades on the way (we used to go up in winter and lay out in the baths whilst the snow was all around the mountains. 

3. You could take Le Petit Train Jaune.   Drive up and catch it at Villefranch de Conflent (another walled village, great for an hours stroll around.  Get off the train at Font Romeu or wherever you want.  Great little experience.

4. Paullilles, Banyuls and Port Bou - Paullilles, the old explosives factory and free, where the sea is like diving into a fish tank.  Banyuls for Dejeuner and then drive further down to Port Bou (where the Spanish crossed escaping the Spanish Civil War).  Banyuls is a pretty coastal town and , if you have a few hours, take the walk out up to the border to Spain and La Jonquera.  This is the route Airey Neave took when he escaped from Colditz.

5. People neglect Narbonne.  A day is easily enough but its a vibrant place, not on the level of Montpelier but still good.

6. Walk from Argeles to Collioure, across the cliffs (from Racou Beach although this route has been made safer now but less spectacular).  The route dips in and out of secluded beaches.  No good if you don't like the glut of Brits at Collioure though. French Special forces fort along the way.

7. Chateau de Valmy.  Walk around the beautiful grounds and then take the small track out at the bottom and around up into the mountains.  The views back over Argeles, St.Cyp, Canet right up to Bacares are beautiful.

8. Take the road out to Le Boulou, Ceret and Gorges de la Fou.  L Boulou, often ignored for decent food.  Ceret is La Region for the Cerises (Cherries).  Carry on up to Gorges de la Fou (on the right) and walk through the narrowest Gorge you'll ever see.

9. Travel the short ride to Villeneuve de la Raho and spend the day swimming in the lake.  Restaurants (average) along the beach and great conviviality.  Drive the few kilometres to Elne.  Pretty, old Roman town on the road back to Rome, the Via Domitia (goes through Narbonne too.

10.  Visit Rivesaltes concentration/internment Camp.  I've seen enough of these but often unknown that these places existed during the 2nd World war and before.  

11.  Drive up to Thuir and have a look at the 'Dubonnet' place, I think, where they brew the stuff.  Saturday markets are noce and then travel the few miles up to Castlenou.  One of the most beautiful villages you'll ever see.

12.  Figueres and to Dali museum.  

Theres 12.  I could literally go on all day........or , you could do what most do and sit by the Castillet and get drunk.

On 11/26/2018 at 1:02 PM, Lowdesert said:

Its knowing where to look and what you want from it.  Is that 'Fort' the Castillet or the Palace of the Kings of Majorca? :)

IMO to go for a weekend has to be at least 1 full day sight seeing.  Flight there and back on match day or the day after aint going to offer too many opportunities.

If I had to recommend 1 day I would give a choice of:

1. Gorges de Galamus and then travel up to Peyrepertreuse.  Travel back via Queribus.  (Cathar Castles).  Gorge is enchanting and overhangs the road.  If you don't fancy the drop - don't go!  Peyrepertreuse blows your mind on how they even built it.  Health & safety out of the window though.

2. Font Romeu and Thomas le Bain baths, taking in Prades on the way (we used to go up in winter and lay out in the baths whilst the snow was all around the mountains. 

3. You could take Le Petit Train Jaune.   Drive up and catch it at Villefranch de Conflent (another walled village, great for an hours stroll around.  Get off the train at Font Romeu or wherever you want.  Great little experience.

4. Paullilles, Banyuls and Port Bou - Paullilles, the old explosives factory and free, where the sea is like diving into a fish tank.  Banyuls for Dejeuner and then drive further down to Port Bou (where the Spanish crossed escaping the Spanish Civil War).  Banyuls is a pretty coastal town and , if you have a few hours, take the walk out up to the border to Spain and La Jonquera.  This is the route Airey Neave took when he escaped from Colditz.

5. People neglect Narbonne.  A day is easily enough but its a vibrant place, not on the level of Montpelier but still good.

6. Walk from Argeles to Collioure, across the cliffs (from Racou Beach although this route has been made safer now but less spectacular).  The route dips in and out of secluded beaches.  No good if you don't like the glut of Brits at Collioure though. French Special forces fort along the way.

7. Chateau de Valmy.  Walk around the beautiful grounds and then take the small track out at the bottom and around up into the mountains.  The views back over Argeles, St.Cyp, Canet right up to Bacares are beautiful.

8. Take the road out to Le Boulou, Ceret and Gorges de la Fou.  L Boulou, often ignored for decent food.  Ceret is La Region for the Cerises (Cherries).  Carry on up to Gorges de la Fou (on the right) and walk through the narrowest Gorge you'll ever see.

9. Travel the short ride to Villeneuve de la Raho and spend the day swimming in the lake.  Restaurants (average) along the beach and great conviviality.  Drive the few kilometres to Elne.  Pretty, old Roman town on the road back to Rome, the Via Domitia (goes through Narbonne too.

10.  Visit Rivesaltes concentration/internment Camp.  I've seen enough of these but often unknown that these places existed during the 2nd World war and before.  

11.  Drive up to Thuir and have a look at the 'Dubonnet' place, I think, where they brew the stuff.  Saturday markets are noce and then travel the few miles up to Castlenou.  One of the most beautiful villages you'll ever see.

12.  Figueres and to Dali museum.  

Theres 12.  I could literally go on all day........or , you could do what most do and sit by the Castillet and get drunk.

The Castillet (There were two parts) is now only the fortified gateway so hardly a fort. I was referring to the palace of the Kings.

Brilliant post though Lowdesert I've done all of those except the concentration camp. Especially loved Villefrance de Confluent but I'd add in the Orgues at Ille sur Tete ?

14 hours ago, John Rhino said:

The Castillet (There were two parts) is now only the fortified gateway so hardly a fort. I was referring to the palace of the Kings.

Brilliant post though Lowdesert I've done all of those except the concentration camp. Especially loved Villefrance de Confluent but I'd add in the Orgues at Ille sur Tete ?

Les Orgues wont be there in a few years so if you've seen it, then that's the box ticked.  There is another high viewing point near Tautavel which is barely visited and theres also Montsegur, StPaul d F in that area before we even start to touch the coastal areas or go north of the A61.

Slightly further afield and worth a stay over is Bourg Madam/Puigcerda region, taking in Les Angles, Mont Louis on the way.  If your a golfer Fontanals is difficult but superb.  Best I've played at and the views.

I've been to Rivesaltes, but before it was fully converted into a viewing place/museum.  If you do some research, you will find many such places in France  during the war.  A lot bury their heads in the sand with that.

Having lived close to Perpignan was a pleasure but we just got sick of the wind and les moustiques!  

• 4 months later...

There's the magic weekend in Carcassonne 13 and 14 april.

I f you want to come to support Hull FC.

Theres's flights Manchester to Carcassonne (200£) (departure friday and return monday)

You will arrive friday just to eat a cassoulet and visit oldtown by night.

Saturday you go in Perpignan to Brutus.

Sunday you could come back in Carcassonne, on the road you can stop, visit and eat at the abbaye de Fontfroide. (wonderful place)

Sunday afternoon magic week-end in Carcassonne.

Monday come back in Manchester.

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

1 minute ago, fcl said:

There's the magic weekend in carcassonne this week-end.

Flights to Carcassonne will cost 200£.

You will arrive friday just to eat a cassoulet and visit oldtown by night.

Saturday you go in Perpignan to Brutus.

Sunday you could come back in Carcassonne, on the road you can stop, visit and eat at the abbaye de Fontfroide. (wonderful placeà

Sunday afternoon magic week-end in Carcassonne.

Monday come back in Manchester.

Thanks fcl but I’m already booked for the Hull match on the 13th April.

rldfsignature.jpg

no problem, but it is a program that can be really good to do and if English fans are interested I can give them some good addresses. Because in France we are sorry to see the English fans do not stay in France or do not take the opportunity to visit the region which is very beautiful with many products and typical places (wines, foods, castles, abbeys etc)

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

19 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

So, I’m all set to go to Perpignan. My next question is about match tickets. Is it easy to pay on the day and do the visiting teams also sell tickets prior to the game?

You can pay on the day but the queue can be very long and people tend to push in. After experiencing that once, I always buy directly from Saints now. 

Your match ticket is also a free bus ticket from the Castillet up to the ground. 

43 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

So, I’m all set to go to Perpignan. My next question is about match tickets. Is it easy to pay on the day and do the visiting teams also sell tickets prior to the game?

Buy tickets from your club, it can get a bit chaotic outside the Brutus to say the least!

And they get a % too 

30 minutes ago, fcl said:

no problem, but it is a program that can be really good to do and if English fans are interested I can give them some good addresses. Because in France we are sorry to see the English fans do not stay in France or do not take the opportunity to visit the region which is very beautiful with many products and typical places (wines, foods, castles, abbeys etc)

Our group of 8-10 always stay in Perpignan and love the place!

3 minutes ago, TBC said:

Pourquoi?

3 minutes ago, meast said:

I stayed there once, found it alright to be honest

Staff were awful.

Room was awful.

Basically the two things I look for when staying at a hotel.

Only positive is the location. Very central. 

• 3 weeks later...

Returned earlier today. Flew into Carcassonne on Friday and got the bus to the railway station. Pricey tickets to Perpignan and it seemed to take an eternity for people in front of us to buy their tickets. Got to Perpignan and stayed right on top of the railway station. A ten minute walk into the historic part of town. Saturday was very enjoyable. A few beers near the Castillet with a fair Hull contingent and then the free bus to the stadium. Another beer in the bar across from the stadium then on to the game. I’m still puzzled as to why you have to buy tokens and then use them to buy beer from a bar literally three yards away. Loved the game day and then back into the city centre for some food and then bed. Sunday seemed like a waste of a day. As others have said not much is open in Perpignan (or France for that matter) on a Sunday. There doesn’t seem a lot to do in Perpignan and even less so on a Sunday. We travelled back to Carcassonne to fly back today and with hindsight I would have moved on to Carcassonne on Sunday morning especially with the French Magic Weekend taking place at the Albert Domec. You live and learn. One observation is that it seemed not many French people appear to speak much, if any, English so even a bit of the basic stuff you learned in school may come in useful. As I say this is an observation not a criticism. Overall I enjoyed the weekend but better planning from me could have made it a lot better.

rldfsignature.jpg

6 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Returned earlier today. Flew into Carcassonne on Friday and got the bus to the railway station. Pricey tickets to Perpignan and it seemed to take an eternity for people in front of us to buy their tickets. Got to Perpignan and stayed right on top of the railway station. A ten minute walk into the historic part of town. Saturday was very enjoyable. A few beers near the Castillet with a fair Hull contingent and then the free bus to the stadium. Another beer in the bar across from the stadium then on to the game. I’m still puzzled as to why you have to buy tokens and then use them to buy beer from a bar literally three yards away. Loved the game day and then back into the city centre for some food and then bed. Sunday seemed like a waste of a day. As others have said not much is open in Perpignan (or France for that matter) on a Sunday. There doesn’t seem a lot to do in Perpignan and even less so on a Sunday. We travelled back to Carcassonne to fly back today and with hindsight I would have moved on to Carcassonne on Sunday morning especially with the French Magic Weekend taking place at the Albert Domec. You live and learn. One observation is that it seemed not many French people appear to speak much, if any, English so even a bit of the basic stuff you learned in school may come in useful. As I say this is an observation not a criticism. Overall I enjoyed the weekend but better planning from me could have made it a lot better.

Fly to Perp stay in canet plage, it's 15mins on bus 2 euro fare. Just a beach town. A lot of Dragon players live there,.bars on the beach lots of good restaurants. Done this for the last 9 years 

35 minutes ago, newbe said:

Fly to Perp stay in canet plage, it's 15mins on bus 2 euro fare. Just a beach town. A lot of Dragon players live there,.bars on the beach lots of good restaurants. Done this for the last 9 years 

Is it OK out of the holiday season? 

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived