RLIF announce 12 team 9s World Cup for 2019

Pulga

http://rlif.com/article/8543/rlif-welcomes-announcement-of-downers-rugby-league-world-cup-s

So any chance to see some emerging nations take on the big dogs of international rugby league is gone.

12 mens teams and 4 Women's? Why even bother?

It would be a real shame if someone tweeted to the title sponsor @downergroup and told them what a bad decision that is with the hashtag #RLIWTF....

new rise.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Pulga said:

lt would be a real shame if someone tweeted to the title sponsor @downergroup and told them what a bad decision that is with the hashtag #RLIWTF....

Whether you agree with it or not it's ludicrous to suggest getting in touch with a Rugby League sponsor and say they have made a bad decision in sponsoring any Rugby League event. Blame the organisers, not the sponsor.

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Whether you agree with it or not it's ludicrous to suggest getting in touch with a Rugby League sponsor and say they have made a bad decision in sponsoring any Rugby League event. Blame the organisers, not the sponsor.

You have to hit them where it hurts.

I'm not sure if you've ever dealt with the RLIF before but I can guarantee you a strongly worded email to them will do sweet FA.

Maybe the people financing it will have some power.

new rise.jpg

1 minute ago, Pulga said:

You have to hit them where it hurts.

I'm not sure if you've ever dealt with the RLIF before but I can guarantee you a strongly worded email to them will do sweet FA.

Maybe the people financing it will have some power.

We struggle to get sponsors as it is and you want to actively put off the sponsors that we do get. Madness.

28 minutes ago, Pulga said:

http://rlif.com/article/8543/rlif-welcomes-announcement-of-downers-rugby-league-world-cup-s

So any chance to see some emerging nations take on the big dogs of international rugby league is gone.

12 mens teams and 4 Women's? Why even bother?

It would be a real shame if someone tweeted to the title sponsor @downergroup and told them what a bad decision that is with the hashtag #RLIWTF....

What on earth are you complaining about!?  It's an excellent start!

No-one wants to see Australia flogging Niue 100-0, expect maybe you.  Let's get our top 12 strongest (and most legitimate) nations in there!

When organising international events there really should be an agreed scheduling format. They should always suit both hemispheres where possible. 

Southern hemisphere need to stage games on sat and Sunday and northern hemisphere on Friday and Saturday.

If we keep staging for local tv audiences we will only ever get local fans and audiences.

Stupid.

4 minutes ago, langpark said:

No-one wants to see Australia flogging Niue 100-0, expect maybe you.  Let's get our top 12 strongest (and most legitimate) nations in there!

It's 9s. There won't be any such floggings. It's the perfect opportunity to put the smaller nations in and they've screwed it up. Niue would push some good teams. 

Look at Fiji, USA, Kenya etc in RU 7s.

new rise.jpg

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

This event looks suspiciously like the NRL is the main organiser and driver in this. Who gets the profits and what is the actual RLIF input?

I think that is an ideal scenario, harnessing the NRL, with its vastly superior reach and resources, yet getting some of the profits to the RLIF.  I don't know this is the case, or how much, but one would assume they've agreed on it beforehand.

5 minutes ago, langpark said:

Why bother with 9s if it is smaller than our main comp?

This should be giving the lesser nations a chance to be part of an event. They may get battered in the 9s format, but that is limited by shorter games, and they can drop  into bowl and shield comps.

It would make sense to have qualifying competitions in both hemispheres, as much as anything to give teams some experience of actually playing 9s

Northern: England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France. Jamaica, USA, Canada, Italy, Serbia, Russian, Spain (Top 6 qualify)

Southern: Australia, NZ, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands, Lebanon, Niue, South Africa, Japan,  Brazil, Chile (Top 6 to qualify)

Just now, Dave T said:

Why bother with 9s if it is smaller than our main comp?

This should be giving the lesser nations a chance to be part of an event. They may get battered in the 9s format, but that is limited by shorter games, and they can drop  into bowl and shield comps.

I don't understand this obsession with these "emerging nations".  Why should a place like Niue (population 1600, zero domestic activity, etc.) take up a spot that could have gone to a legitimate RL nation France or Wales, and one that is making serious progress on the development front!?

It's outrageous, I don't hear soccer fans complaining that Andorra aren't being included in the top competitions and events.  Only in RL would we get this nonsense.

3 minutes ago, langpark said:

I don't understand this obsession with these "emerging nations".  Why should a place like Niue (population 1600, zero domestic activity, etc.) take up a spot that could have gone to a legitimate RL nation France or Wales, and one that is making serious progress on the development front!?

It's outrageous, I don't hear soccer fans complaining that Andorra aren't being included in the top competitions and events.  Only in RL would we get this nonsense.

Nope. Other sports are expanding their comps all the time to include a wider range of lesser nations. 

So not an Only in RL scenario at all.

And I think it was you who introduced Nuie into this.

Just now, langpark said:

ok, and you had the emerging nations in League!  What more do you want? 

For it not to keep being a local game for local people between the same old people.

To try and belittle a point of view you used Niue as the example, despite them being 34th ranked team.

What about all the others above them?

Just now, Dave T said:

For it not to keep being a local game for local people between the same old people.

To try and belittle a point of view you used Niue as the example, despite them being 34th ranked team.

What about all the others above them?

Take any "nation" you like from ENWC and my opinion remains the same.

Can you please define what you mean by "locals"??  Are you talking about all those aussies that wore various nations' jerseys at the ENWC recently?  How are they locals?

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

Even for local fans, what the hell, why is friday saturday better than saturday sunday?

Even in the small in size competition they have gone for its still going to be at least 4 or 5 hours a day. What time are they starting on friday ?

I assume they are doing a 5pm start on Friday. Rubbish.

3 minutes ago, langpark said:

Can you please define what you mean by "locals"??  Are you talking about all those aussies that wore various nations' jerseys at the ENWC recently?  How are they locals?

That proves my point perfectly. Those Aussies are absolutely locals and part of the game already. Not expansion. Played in Oz, by Aussie heritage players.

Tournaments like ENWC and 9s should be ways of moving on from heritage players.

7 minutes ago, langpark said:

Why are you banging on about Emerging Nations WC teams? Nobody else is talking about them. There are a load of teams above them who won't play in this.

10 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Geez I was looking forward to this comp 5 minutes ago! Now all of a sudden, I can't shake the horrible feeling it's a total farce and shambles and we're all doomed. Weird.

You are very easily influenced then. If you are looking forward to it, crack on and enjoy it.

Archived