Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

E-Programmes

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Odd or sarcastic? I can't make my mind up.

I think this is quite hard to understand for an RL supporter who follows one team, the programme is a miniscule part of the day out

However as my moniker indicates I am trying to visit as many grounds as possible, before the amateur ones vanish, as they almost have in Hull. I also do this in football and the hobby is much more common in that sport

The day out is about the sport of course, but also viewing the town and in some case the local pubs, sights etc. the programme is part of the day for many enthusiasts. There is a debate on the football site between people who wont go without a programme and those who ridicule the idea

The hobby is expensive and there are multiple options of where to watch rugby. The original poster chooses to go to a match with a programme and if KR don't do one, he will spend his cash on a match where they meet his requirements. He is not walking away from the sport because  of no programme just choosing where he will enjoy

I must admit to being in the middle, I was delighted to get 2 progs at challenge cup ties over the weekend, especially at grounds where there was none when I visited before but at the level I watch, 98% of clubs don't issue so it will never be important

PS Apologies to the original poster for speaking for him  if I am incorrect

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Odd or sarcastic? I can't make my mind up. 

Just the truth mate. I have got 141 Hull KR progs going back to 1958. (Alan Parker gave me a load) If I can't add to my collection I won't go again. This applies to any other club as well. It might seem odd to you but I have been collecting progs from RL matches since 1971. I am a traditionalist and I see the stopping of printed progs as a further indication that the game is going downhill. I went to Bradford last season to watch North Wales Crusaders and when I asked if programmes were on sale inside they told me there were no progs. I got back in my car and went to watch Bradford Dudley Hill .v. Featherstone Lions instead. I knew I would get a programme there. Rerading a programme is just part of the match day experience for me. If I can't read a prog I don't want the experience. Just my own little protest. I know it doesn't make any difference but it makes me feel better.

Edited by Celtic Rooster
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

This weekend, for example. I would have thought that there would be quite a few wanting to snap up programmes for some of the Challenge Cup fixtures this weekend. I'd be interested to know whether Millom shifted many for the historic Red Star Belgrade visit. An e-programme just wouldn't cut it, as far as I'm concerned. 

I'm sure Millom would have produced a programme. I have never been there and not got one. I have 38 Millom progs going back to 1968.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks groundhopper - that just about covers it. It would be helpful if fans of clubs could let me know on here if their teams are producing match day progs to buy at the ground this season or not? That would save me making unnecessary journeys. There will be a full list of NCL fixtures on the Saturday that Salford go to Hull KR and I much prefer amateur RL anyhow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think non issuers are Hull KR, Bradford where the prog is an insert in the local newspaper, Rochdale who do a monthly magazine, Newcastle and I would guess West Wales as nothing last year

Toulouse do little more than a sheet and I have seen Toronto progs on ebay so they must issue

The NCL has been pretty much 100% and I have only failed at Crosfields who when I asked apologised and found me an old one and Ovenden who gave a different excuse to everyone and I think only produced occasionally

I doubt more than about five or six clubs produce at a lower level, with Cumbria the most likely. Welsh clubs were always frequent issuers but there was nothing at Bridgend when I visited last year. Nottingham always do a decent issue  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Thanks groundhopper - that just about covers it. It would be helpful if fans of clubs could let me know on here if their teams are producing match day progs to buy at the ground this season or not? That would save me making unnecessary journeys. There will be a full list of NCL fixtures on the Saturday that Salford go to Hull KR and I much prefer amateur RL anyhow.

Agreed. I've just started a Programme Watch thread on the Collectors Forum, so that members have a place to add updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 46 Crosfields programmes groundhopper, going back to 1989 and I went twice last season. Waterhead was the only NCL ground where I didn't get a programme last season.

I have been let down at Leigh, St. Helens, Oxford, North Wales, South Wales, York, Keighley, Bradford and Swinton in the past, although Swinton do a brilliant programme normally and I have just taken out a subscription for the season. They did not do one for a challenge cup tie that I went to. North Wales also produce a decent programme but were let down by the printer on a couple of occasions. Halifax is just a pull out from the local newspaper but that is acceptable to me. I'm satisfied if I get a team sheet but some don't even do that.

Great idea Manxmanc. I will have a look at that.

Anybody confirm if there will be a prog at Sheffield .v. Swinton on Sunday? I was wrongly informed that they did not have them last season. Apparently it was a decent programme too. I have 89 Sheffield Eagles programmes including the very first .v. Rochdale Hornets in 1984. I used to drive over there often when they played Friday nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Anybody confirm if there will be a prog at Sheffield .v. Swinton on Sunday? I was wrongly informed that they did not have them last season. Apparently it was a decent programme too. I have 89 Sheffield Eagles programmes including the very first .v. Rochdale Hornets in 1984. I used to drive over there often when they played Friday nights.

Hi yes there will be a programme. If you are not attending the match if you mail the office they may be able to save one. I don’t know how many will be printed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

I'm sure Millom would have produced a programme. I have never been there and not got one. I have 38 Millom progs going back to 1968.

Millom confirmed before the Red Star game there would be a programme - 50p.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Just the truth mate. I have got 141 Hull KR progs going back to 1958. (Alan Parker gave me a load) If I can't add to my collection I won't go again. This applies to any other club as well. It might seem odd to you but I have been collecting progs from RL matches since 1971. I am a traditionalist and I see the stopping of printed progs as a further indication that the game is going downhill. I went to Bradford last season to watch North Wales Crusaders and when I asked if programmes were on sale inside they told me there were no progs. I got back in my car and went to watch Bradford Dudley Hill .v. Featherstone Lions instead. I knew I would get a programme there. Rerading a programme is just part of the match day experience for me. If I can't read a prog I don't want the experience. Just my own little protest. I know it doesn't make any difference but it makes me feel better.

I'm neither here nor there with it. I know a lot of people do love to collect programmes and I'm a little sad for them that the physical programme is going 'out of date' so to speak, but in the age of digital media and removing the old environmental footprint it does make  some sense. 

You can sign up via the website to receive it. Ultimately, we've gone from face-to-face chat to WhatsApp, from books to kindles, and now programmes to e-programmes. 

Sign of the times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Maxi mum said:

Hi yes there will be a programme. If you are not attending the match if you mail the office they may be able to save one. I don’t know how many will be printed. 

Thank you so much. I am trying to get on the Swinton supporters bus but it's full. They are looking to run a second bus if they can get numbers to make it viable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

I'm neither here nor there with it. I know a lot of people do love to collect programmes and I'm a little sad for them that the physical programme is going 'out of date' so to speak, but in the age of digital media and removing the old environmental footprint it does make  some sense. 

You can sign up via the website to receive it. Ultimately, we've gone from face-to-face chat to WhatsApp, from books to kindles, and now programmes to e-programmes. 

Sign of the times.

It is a sign of the times but that doesn’t necessarily make it better. I alluded to the physical programme demise being similar to the music collecting scene. There are still people hunting that elusive 45 (google it if you don’t know what it is) from some obscure band who had one hit record. Kids today will never have the thrill of the chase. Press a few buttons and the music is instantly on their device. 

 


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

I'm neither here nor there with it. I know a lot of people do love to collect programmes and I'm a little sad for them that the physical programme is going 'out of date' so to speak, but in the age of digital media and removing the old environmental footprint it does make  some sense. 

You can sign up via the website to receive it. Ultimately, we've gone from face-to-face chat to WhatsApp, from books to kindles, and now programmes to e-programmes. 

Sign of the times. 

Thank you but I am a complete Luddite and would have no idea how to print the programme off and I don't have a colour printer. I don't have a kindle and have no idea what WhatsApp is and my mobile phone is so old it's "clockwork"! I hate modern life, but that's off topic.

Just last night I opened a box at random out of my 9,000 RL progs and took a handful out to see what I would come to. If I pick a programme up and it's a game I went to, all the memories come flooding back. Like Groundhopper I like to make a day of it to. I like to go by train when I can and stay later - visit a few pubs. The programme I came across last night was Hull KR .v. Leigh in the John Player trophy in the early 80's. I will never forget it because it was played on a Saturday and I worked Friday night. Took me an hour to walk home from work (No car back then) so I just got changed and went to catch the 10.10am train from Manchester. Had a few drinks and walked to the old ground. I left well before the end because I was so tired I was falling asleep standing up!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

It is a sign of the times but that doesn’t necessarily make it better. I alluded to the physical programme demise being similar to the music collecting scene. There are still people hunting that elusive 45 (google it if you don’t know what it is) from some obscure band who had one hit record. Kids today will never have the thrill of the chase. Press a few buttons and the music is instantly on their device. 

 

I agree entirely. It is too easy. One of the reasons the younger generation are soft as s***e now, but that's another story ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are Leigh still producing a physical programme to buy at the game? I didn't see a programme last time I went but I usually get there a couple of times each season as they are quite local. I won't bother this year if I can't buy a souvenier to show I went to the game and to add to my collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking about this with a mate who like me travels around the South West watching non-league football. A lot of clubs don,t do programmers now but was supraised its happening in rugby league i understand 2 out of my 3 trips over Easter don,t do programmes Leigh & Widnes i like many like to get one at every game something to read on train home or a few days latter.

I understand a lot of football league sides tried to get the league allow them not to produce one this season but i think the league said NO.

Maybe us collectors should contact the league & see if its part of being in the league they must produce one or some kind of team sheet for fans??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently wrote in a non-league programme for a friend, who’s chairman of a local club. His team don’t issue programmes because they were losing hundreds of pounds a year, giving away ten a game and only selling on average twelve a game. The piece I wrote for their e-programme has been downloaded in Australia, USA, Spain and Italy. Something that wouldn’t normally happen with a physical copy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago I gave away my football programme collection and have since found out that it was worth a fortune. There are loads of football programme dealers around the Country and people from all over the world buy physical programmes. Just because somebody downloaded some doesn't mean they would not have bought physical programmes. My preference is to buy and read a programme at the game. If clubs don't want to produce physical programmes that's fine by me. I understand that the game is skint, but I just want somebody to let me know so that I don't waste my time going to their ground. I expect that a day will come when no RL clubs produce physical programmes. I'm too old to care. I just open a box and pick a handful of programmes out and re-live the memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 10:31 AM, Man of Kent said:

I see Hull KR have gone digital:  https://www.hullkr.co.uk/the-club/eprogramme/

I notice it is free to anyone who wants one. Are any other clubs doing this (ie free)? I’d like to take a look at them, rugby nerd that I am.

As for the demise of printed programmes, that’s the way of the world, I suppose, but it offers new opportunities.

I would love to see, for example, a UK equivalent of Big League - a digital title (perhaps published by Super League)  previewing all the weekend’s games distributed for free and pushed to all and sundry to attract new people to come along.

How’s about it, Robert?

Don't hold your breath! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Featherstone charge £1 for theirs and its only small but unfolds into a large sheet and has fixtures, results, etc but NO adverts. Better then nothing i think. 

Edited by MADREDNIGE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...