So, Liam Neeson....

3 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

This we don't but his mention of the phrase 'black b' suggests race was an issue. Had it been a Scottish person would he have gone trawling the streets for a Scot? I'm not so sure. 

Well he said that is exactly what he would have done

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Damien said:

Well he said that is exactly what he would have done

It's rather odd though. What if it was in Northern Ireland and the victim told him it was a Dutch man who attacked her. He wouldnt have had a Dutch community to go and hope to attack.

Why does the revenge need to be by murdering somebody of the same race/nationality? 

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

It's rather odd though. What if it was in Northern Ireland and the victim told him it was a Dutch man who attacked her. He wouldnt have had a Dutch community to go and hope to attack.

Why does the revenge need to be by murdering somebody of the same race/nationality? 

He described it as part of the ###### for tat mentality that was prevalent in NI at that time. A Catholic gets murdered, a Protestant gets murdered the next day. A Catholic pub gets bombed, a Protestant one gets bombed the next day. Whether they were involved or not was irrelevant.

People growing up in NI in Neeson's time where essentially growing up in a war zone so it's understandable if their attitudes are different and it's certainly understandable if they have been left very scarred by them. People are formed by their experiences and it really should be of no surprise if they consider things that most don't see as the norm when that is what they experienced for decades.

4 hours ago, Damien said:

He described it as part of the ###### for tat mentality that was prevalent in NI at that time. A Catholic gets murdered, a Protestant gets murdered the next day. A Catholic pub gets bombed, a Protestant one gets bombed the next day. Whether they were involved or not was irrelevant.

People growing up in NI in Neeson's time where essentially growing up in a war zone so it's understandable if their attitudes are different and it's certainly understandable if they have been left very scarred by them. People are formed by their experiences and it really should be of no surprise if they consider things that most don't see as the norm when that is what they experienced for decades.

That's an extremely weak (and I think disingenuous) defence from Neeson, and not one anyone I know in the north would agree with.

19 minutes ago, damp squib said:

That's an extremely weak (and I think disingenuous) defence from Neeson, and not one anyone I know in the north would agree with.

I agree it's weak and it does appear to be more about finding any excuse he can. However judging by the sectarian violence in the North it is one others certainly agree with. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I agree it's weak and it does appear to be more about finding any excuse he can. However judging by the sectarian violence in the North it is one others certainly agree with. 

No I get the ###### for tat Protestant/Catholic thing, but I fail to see how that logic extends to black people. If it were simply a non-rational conditioned response he would have just beaten up the nearest man of any colour he could find.

4 minutes ago, damp squib said:

No I get the ###### for tat Protestant/Catholic thing, but I fail to see how that logic extends to black people. If it were simply a non-rational conditioned response he would have just beaten up the nearest man of any colour he could find.

Let me clear it up for you in both regards since you seem to be somewhat confused: our species is called Homo sapien sapiens and we are tribal by nature.

Next.

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Let me clear it up for you in both regards since you seem to be somewhat confused: our species is called Homo sapien sapiens and we are tribal by nature.

Next.

Ah I see. So people who don't seek to inflict violence on other people who are superficially different from them are acting contrary to their human nature.

10 hours ago, Damien said:

As someone who has lived in Northern Ireland, this is a massive cop out and simply not true.

18 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

As someone who has lived in Northern Ireland, this is a massive cop out and simply not true.

That is just your opinion, I've lived in Northern Ireland for half my life and still do so so know more than a little myself. Whilst I do think it's a cop out the logic he is talking about is certainly true amongst a portion of the population.

4 hours ago, damp squib said:

Ah I see. So people who don't seek to inflict violence on other people who are superficially different from them are acting contrary to their human nature.

Not at all...our species has been gifted with a powerful cerebral cortex, which supplies us with, amongst other things, forethought and afterthought.  We have a great ability to learn and to grow in our thought....its our real advantage as a species.  For example, any biologist worth a grain of salt would understand this.

Most humans can overcome primal urges....however some devolve into the base animals they are...for example saying something condescending  like "Ah I see"....in response to a serious thought which they have trouble comprehending.

Next.

Archived