Brits in the NRL

On 06/07/2019 at 06:56, Man of Kent said:

We’re now just a FB and 5/8 from a bona fide ‘Brits in the NRL’ XIII (ie not having to put George Burgess, Chris McQueen etc in and out of position to make up the numbers)

?

Farnworth

Watkins

Bateman

Hall

?

Widdop

Graham

Hodgson

Tom

Whitehead

Sam

Sutton

George Williams is apparently joining Canberra and Jack Walker was on the NRL radar last year let alone now, so those gaps may be filled quite soon.

It begs questions about England/GB Tests and whether we should be playing Down Under each year during the international window at the very least.

I'm trying to think of a reason why you wouldn't put George Burgess at fb or stand off..............................no I'm struggling here, I keep getting a old Max Bygraves song rattling round my head though.........is it something to do with Tulips????? Has he been eating Tulips and that's why he keeps having brainfarts?

On 06/07/2019 at 06:56, Man of Kent said:

We’re now just a FB and 5/8 from a bona fide ‘Brits in the NRL’ XIII (ie not having to put George Burgess, Chris McQueen etc in and out of position to make up the numbers)

?

Farnworth

Watkins

Bateman

Hall

?

Widdop

Graham

Hodgson

Tom

Whitehead

Sam

Sutton

George Williams is apparently joining Canberra and Jack Walker was on the NRL radar last year let alone now, so those gaps may be filled quite soon.

It begs questions about England/GB Tests and whether we should be playing Down Under each year during the international window at the very least.

Whitehead has started at 6 for Canberra in his time in the NRL so it could be

1. Widdop

2. Farnworth

3. Bateman

4. Watkins

5. Hall

6. Whitehead

7. Williams

8. Graham

9. Hodgson

10. George Burgess

11. Sam Burgess

12. Ryan Sutton

13. Tom Burgess

Sutton is not an edge forward but that team is close to being as per club/international positions.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

28 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Whitehead has started at 6 for Canberra in his time in the NRL so it could be

1. Widdop

2. Farnworth

3. Bateman

4. Watkins

5. Hall

6. Whitehead

7. Williams

8. Graham

9. Hodgson

10. George Burgess

11. Sam Burgess

12. Ryan Sutton

13. Tom Burgess

Sutton is not an edge forward but that team is close to being as per club/international positions.

If you were doing that though, you'd put Graham at loose Tom at prop surely? 

4 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

If you were doing that though, you'd put Graham at loose Tom at prop surely? 

Fair enough but they are all 'middles' these days so makes little difference. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Maybe old fashioned but I don’t like this third prop at 13 thing . You may gain some grunt but you lose some attacking edge as well . I like an all round 13 who can do his tough stuff but offers some football as a third pivot 

• Like 2

Just now, DavidM said:

Maybe old fashioned but I don’t like this third prop at 13 thing . You may gain some grunt but you lose some attacking edge as well . I like an all round 13 who can do his tough stuff but offers some football as a third pivot 

David, I do not know where to start on this..

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Just an evolution of the game I guess.

The pivots and creative players used to be 6, 7 & 13 and now they are 1, 6 & 7. 

I guess modern day coaches will look at fire power and 'go forward' in the pack as priority and then any skills as an added bonus.

Just now, Dunbar said:

I guess modern day coaches will look at fire power and 'go forward' in the pack as priority and then any skills as an added bonus.

9,6,7 and 1

1 minute ago, Allora said:

9,6,7 and 1

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Allora said:

9,6,7 and 1

But seriously... I didn't include 9 in the list because while they are a key play maker and tactical element they are not pivots as we come to associate the word in Rugby League.

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Maybe so , but I still think those players are around , Cameron Murray coming through at souths etc , and coaches who think in differing ways about how they set up . Also differs in games as you can get two 9’s on the pitch . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Maybe so , but I still think those players are around , Cameron Murray coming through at souths etc , and coaches who think in differing ways about how they set up . Also differs in games as you can get two 9’s on the pitch . 

I agree.  Maybe the current thinking of carrying a smaller more dynamic forward in the middle (Murray, Victor Radley) will bring back the more skillful 13.

Just now, Dunbar said:

I agree.  Maybe the current thinking of carrying a smaller more dynamic forward in the middle (Murray, Victor Radley) will bring back the more skillful 13.

Hopefully , I love those guys as players . And really a lot of those bigger guys who play there who can really make the yards are footballers to , they have that skill set , they have everything ... taumalolo , trebojevic , pangai , big Sam when he’s there , Nathan brown , frizzell at times I like there etc . It’s such a key spot still in workrate and linking play 

15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I agree - Victor Radley the same at the Roosters too. 

Sean O'Loughlin is the last great 13 in SL at the moment. I thought Stevie Ward had potential and Adam Milner a couple of years ago but neither have quite made the position their own for one reason or another.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I agree - Victor Radley the same at the Roosters too. 

Sean O'Loughlin is the last great 13 in SL at the moment. I thought Stevie Ward had potential and Adam Milner a couple of years ago but neither have quite made the position their own for one reason or another.  

I have high hopes for Morgan Smithies to fill the void left by O'Loughlin when he calls it a day. He is tough and skilful... could be the UK equivalent of the likes of Radley and Murray. 

Few headlines in this week's NRL teamlists - James Graham is back for the Dragons, Herbie Farnworth keeping his spot in the centres and Watkins continues to be omitted from the Titans squad. 

Other than that it looks like all 3 Burgess' brothers are out for Souths (George suspended and the other 2 slight injuries), Ryan Sutton looks to have picked up a knock too. The other 3 English Raiders are in as normal and Ryan Hall continues on the wing for the Roosters - really hope he can get over for one this week! 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/16/round-18-team-announcements/

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Few headlines in this week's NRL teamlists - James Graham is back for the Dragons, Herbie Farnworth keeping his spot in the centres and Watkins continues to be omitted from the Titans squad. 

Other than that it looks like all 3 Burgess' brothers are out for Souths (George suspended and the other 2 slight injuries), Ryan Sutton looks to have picked up a knock too. The other 3 English Raiders are in as normal and Ryan Hall continues on the wing for the Roosters - really hope he can get over for one this week! 

The fact that Watkins can not break into a team of crxp are dead last in the NRL is a worry.

Edited by Allora

59 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Pleased for Farnworth that he has kept his centre spot and he has had a nice run in the Broncos team.  He will probably miss our when all their personnel are back but this experience will serve him well as he progresses.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Allora said:

The fact that Watkins can not break into a team of crxp are dead last in the NRL is a worry.

Is he playing Queensland Cup?

6 minutes ago, Allora said:

Yeah I said the same last week mate and then if you read back I had a convo with RP and Dunbar and ultimately agreed that maybe he's been left out to get himself properly ready for next year? Would make sense to be fair and it doesn't look like he's been shipped out to Qld Cup side. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yeah I said the same last week mate and then if you read back I had a convo with RP and Dunbar and ultimately agreed that maybe he's been left out to get himself properly ready for next year? Would make sense to be fair and it doesn't look like he's been shipped out to Qld Cup side. 

I agree but the Titans need a big boost at the moment, the new signing Watkins could be that boost if he did well.

Who signs a seasoned Test player and hides away till next year?

3 minutes ago, Allora said:

I agree but the Titans need a big boost at the moment, the new signing Watkins could be that boost if he did well.

Who signs a seasoned Test player and hides away till next year?

i agree but looking at his performances at leeds that is very big IF.. I just dont think he has been given time to get back to fitness from the injury and Leeds were desperate to have him playing rather than waiting. Titans maybe can afford to wait without relegation stalking them as leeds had/have

maybe isnt a "next year" option as such but just a "not yet"

Edited by RP London
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Not that I can see in the Rd 18 teamlists - I'm right in thinking it's Burleigh or Tweed Heads right? 

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/07/16/intrust-super-cup-round-18-teams/

According to Wikipedia its these two and Central Queensland Capras but I don't know how accurate this is.

• Like 1