Jump to content

Brits in the NRL


Recommended Posts

A good Round 1 for the NRL brits.

Three of them picked up Dally M points - Sam Burgess (2 points) for Souths and John Bateman (2 points) and Josh Hodgson (1 point) for Canberra.

Tom Burgess was strong up front for Souths while James Graham and Gareth Widdop went reasonably well in a losing St George team.

Bateman started his NRL career with a boom game and many thought he was man of the match (surprised he didn't pick up the 3 Dally M points) while Ryan Sutton was solid off the bench.

  • Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

A good Round 1 for the NRL brits.

Three of them picked up Dally M points - Sam Burgess (2 points) for Souths and John Bateman (2 points) and Josh Hodgson (1 point) for Canberra.

Tom Burgess was strong up front for Souths while James Graham and Gareth Widdop went reasonably well in a losing St George team.

Bateman started his NRL career with a boom game and many thought he was man of the match (surprised he didn't pick up the 3 Dally M points) while Ryan Sutton was solid off the bench.

Watched the raiders game and Bateman did ok but was not mom, I thought hodson was good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

Bateman was very good and the commentators were raving about him

I do like him and rate him,but if he was an Aussie in that game he would not receive as much attention, but the conditions were terrible and lots of players struggled but his handling was solid.

 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I do like him and rate him,but if he was an Aussie in that game he would not receive as much attention, but the conditions were terrible and lots of players struggled but his handling was solid.

 

He topped the metres gained for the match and was also the Raiders top tackler in an 80 minutes effort.  I do agree that the fact he was on debut and an Englishman playing his first NRL game increased his attention but his performance would have stood out whatever the circumstances.

  • Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

He topped the metres gained for the match and was also the Raiders top tackler in an 80 minutes effort.  I do agree that the fact he was on debut and an Englishman playing his first NRL game increased his attention but his performance would have stood out whatever the circumstances.

Best forward on the pitch by a mile

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ROUND 2 TEAMS

Brisbane v Melbourne

Herbie Farnworth - at Norths Devils in Q Cup, lost last weekend.

Canberra v Melbourne

John Bateman - named at 13, 2 Dally M points

Josh Hodgson - starts at 9, 3 Dally M points

Ryan Sutton - on the bench, only did 15 mins last weekend

Elliot Whitehead - starts at second row

Souths v Dragons

This one could get ugly!!

George Burgess - still banned

Sam Burgess - starts at second row after a good game v Roosters

Tom Burgess - starts at prop, has had concussion

Graham - starts at prop in a scratch Dragons side

Widdop at No 1. McGregor under pressure to move him back to No6

Roosters v Manly

Ryan Hall - still not fit

Victor Radley - starts at 13

Trent Hodkinson - demoted to reserve grade

Wests v Warriors

Chris McQueen - named in the 21. doubt he'll play

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2019 at 7:19 PM, Dunbar said:

A good Round 1 for the NRL brits.

Three of them picked up Dally M points - Sam Burgess (2 points) for Souths and John Bateman (2 points) and Josh Hodgson (1 point) for Canberra.

Tom Burgess was strong up front for Souths while James Graham and Gareth Widdop went reasonably well in a losing St George team.

Bateman started his NRL career with a boom game and many thought he was man of the match (surprised he didn't pick up the 3 Dally M points) while Ryan Sutton was solid off the bench.

They do love Hodgson for some reason over there  - just think what they would be voting if Robey played in the NRL.......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sam Burgess is up to joint second in the Dally M leader board after a 3 point performance against the Dragons to add to the two points he picked up against the Roosters.

He trails Robbie Farrah who is the only player on 6 points after two Man of the Match performances in the opening two rounds.

Robbie Farah 6
Sam Burgess 5
Adam Reynolds 5
Matt Moylan 4

 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All four of the Canberra Raiders brits did well this morning.

Bateman stood out again topping the metres made for the game and tackles made for Canberra.  He also made two line breaks.

Hodgson was scheming at dummy half - could have had four try assists in the first 20 minutes but two tries were chalked off.

Whitehead was his usual consistent self and Ryan Sutton went well in his first NRL start.

Canberra are two for three to start the year and could be real contenders if they had a couple of half backs.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

John Bateman picked up three Dally M points for his performance for Canberra against Newcastle this week.  Josh Hodgson picked up one point.

Both Bateman and Sam Burgess sit on 5 points after round 3 and they are both just behind Robbie Farah and Cameron Munster who lead the way on 6 points each.

  • Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who’d have thought Robbie Farah would be leading the way, albeit after only 3 rounds. Certainly enjoying his swan song. 

I chuckle when I go back to all those comments last year and before the World Cup who said Bateman wasn’t big enough to play in the forwards for England or in NRL. 

It’s great to see a new breed of lean, skilful and hard as nail forwards coming through with the likes of Cameron Murray and Victor Radley. Both only around 90kgs. Hugely influential and shows there’s a place for it still, particularly with the reduced interchanges

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Who’d have thought Robbie Farah would be leading the way, albeit after only 3 rounds. Certainly enjoying his swan song. 

I chuckle when I go back to all those comments last year and before the World Cup who said Bateman wasn’t big enough to play in the forwards for England or in NRL. 

It’s great to see a new breed of lean, skilful and hard as nail forwards coming through with the likes of Cameron Murray and Victor Radley. Both only around 90kgs. Hugely influential and shows there’s a place for it still, particularly with the reduced interchanges

Answered your own question i think; the number of subs.

Be interesting to see the origin teams and the 13s picked on either side. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

 I chuckle when I go back to all those comments last year and before the World Cup who said Bateman wasn’t big enough to play in the forwards for England or in NRL. 

I remember a very young Bateman when he played at the Bulls standing up to and getting the better of the then England RL Captain (Peacock) at a game at Headingley. Top quality player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

It’s great to see a new breed of lean, skilful and hard as nail forwards coming through with the likes of Cameron Murray and Victor Radley. Both only around 90kgs. Hugely influential and shows there’s a place for it still, particularly with the reduced interchanges

If Vince Karalius was still with us, he be chuckling at the thought of that kind of forward being a new breed.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah the evolution of the no. 13 role into a third prop has been one of the more annoying parts of the game in the last decade. It's great to see that shifting again now. It's not just with the younger 13s either; Brisbane putting Gillette at 13 is another example. He's a smaller forward, but has skill, footwork, mobility - all things that used to be essential for 13. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ghost crayfish said:

Yeah the evolution of the no. 13 role into a third prop has been one of the more annoying parts of the game in the last decade. It's great to see that shifting again now. It's not just with the younger 13s either; Brisbane putting Gillette at 13 is another example. He's a smaller forward, but has skill, footwork, mobility - all things that used to be essential for 13. 

I never thought of Gillett as small .

Height: 1.86 m
Weight: 104 kg

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/31/2019 at 8:43 PM, ghost crayfish said:

Yeah the evolution of the no. 13 role into a third prop has been one of the more annoying parts of the game in the last decade. It's great to see that shifting again now. It's not just with the younger 13s either; Brisbane putting Gillette at 13 is another example. He's a smaller forward, but has skill, footwork, mobility - all things that used to be essential for 13. 

I think Gillett has struggled in the middle of the park. He only made 58 run meters last week which is not food enough for a middle forward when you look at what some of the other 13's are achieving this year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.