James Maloney for Super League, possibly Catalans, in 2020?

17 minutes ago, Copa said:

He’s more valuable in an NRL team than Blake Austin was and look at how Austin is coming along in SL

As a stand alone player I think Maloney is a better player than Austin (although not a huge amount in it).

But I think you have to consider the value they bring to their respective sides to make an overall evaluation. 

Austin joined a team who were well organised and with good attacking structures and needed a little more x factor to potentially go all the way. In that respect he is a really complimentary player.

Maloney is joining a team who are inconsistent, poorly disciplined at times and with leaky defence. Everything I have seen about him potentially compounds these problems rather than solves them.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our defence is decent, our main problem is that we gass out in many games due to poor rotations or at least its my opinion. 

Blake Austin running game was always gonna be a threat in SL and Maloney does not have that in him but his organizing skills are among the best. Plus, he can act as a beacon for his teammates. He's at the top of the game, established player, match winner... 

If he doesn't come as an already retired player hell be deadly. 

Good signing IMO . Will get them around as a leader and organiser , and good individual skills . You can talk about his on field discipline but beyond that he’s got a great attitude , professional ethic and winning mentality which will do wonders there and maybe they’ve needed . 

Mentally the bloke is just a winner. I'm sure many NRL clubs would have had him but weren't prepared to offer a 3 year deal. 

It's a great signing which will put them in title contention IMHO. 

On 25/07/2019 at 18:00, Hvy wg said:

Our defence is decent, our main problem is that we gass out in many games due to poor rotations or at least its my opinion. 

Blake Austin running game was always gonna be a threat in SL and Maloney does not have that in him but his organizing skills are among the best. Plus, he can act as a beacon for his teammates. He's at the top of the game, established player, match winner... 

If he doesn't come as an already retired player hell be deadly. 

As you say Austin and Maloney are two totally different styles of players.

While there is a place for players in the style of Austin I would take a Maloney style player every day of the week if my team did not already have one.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived