Merrin set to leave Rhinos

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like he couldn't get a deal in the NRL that would've made the decision to return worthwhile. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/23/merrin-gives-up-nrl-return-amid-player-market-stalemate/

He and his partner had unbelievably torrid time of it in their first few months in the UK, for personal reasons I should add. I hear his partner is now pregnant again so I fully understand the initial want to be back home but hopefully and god willing all goes smoothly on their return and Trent remains for the rest of his contract. 

7 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Looks like he couldn't get a deal in the NRL that would've made the decision to return worthwhile. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/23/merrin-gives-up-nrl-return-amid-player-market-stalemate/

He and his partner had unbelievably torrid time of it in their first few months in the UK, for personal reasons I should add. I hear his partner is now pregnant again so I fully understand the initial want to be back home but hopefully and god willing all goes smoothly on their return and Trent remains for the rest of his contract. 

Yep! Thank God he's coming back. He's been on social media looking for shops for baby stuff in Leeds

48 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Essentially noone is willing to pay him what he's earning at Leeds.

Still, I'm pleased if he stays and puts in good performances like most of last season, he'd be better than the likes of Prior who have been linked as a replacement

11 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Fair enough he's a great player but are we really sure that we want a player who has tried to get out of his contract twice in 12 months

We haven't got much choice - he's under contract. He's probably better than what's left out there now though

19 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I think it's important to differentiate between the circumstances he and his family have faced compared to the old 'I'm homesick' routine. 

Fair enough but he also tried to get out of the deal before he even landed in the UK. 

But I will be supporting him once he puts the blue and Amber back on. 

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

Fair enough he's a great player but are we really sure that we want a player who has tried to get out of his contract twice in 12 months

I think that’s a little harsh, as far as I’m aware he didn’t try get out of the contract mid season he quite rightly went home for family issues and came back and gave his all (I thought he was player of the season by a mile)

The club has got a lot wrong in the last few years but letting him explore his options at the end of the year was the right thing to do

2 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

There's been nothing I've seen in Merrin's performances that have made me question his on-field commitment and he does seem to enjoy living in Leeds (from the outside looking in). 

I think we're long past the era where its common for players to play for the "love of the club". It's a profession and, like all professionals, they move about for their own reasons. 

Archived