Strange signing by Wakey

5 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Sign a player you want when he becomes available, loan him out when you have enough players in his position. Better to be playing real matches for his development you assume.

8 minutes ago, JonM said:

He was an academy international, played SL & championship in his teens, looked pretty good last year and would have been on very little money at Widnes. Astute signing I'd say.

If they you knew they was going to loan him out why not let him stay at Widnes for the season long loan?

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

If they you knew they was going to loan him out why not let him stay at Widnes for the season long loan?

Maybe it's more convenient for the lad to travel to Newcastle than Widnes? 

Maybe Wakey have better links with Newcastle?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Maybe it's more convenient for the lad to travel to Newcastle than Widnes? 

Maybe Wakey have better links with Newcastle?

He's playing in a lower league with Newcastle that he would have been if he had been loaned back to Widnes for one season. I would suggest he would have progressed more at Widnes in the championship for one season than with Newcastle in league, as clearly he would playing against better teams and better players every week.

The trouble with second guessing is it's usually incorrect.

There are many possible reasons for the the signing and the loaning, practical, tactical, development, financial or contractual but to be sure you'd have to check with Trinity's Coach or CEO to be certain.

He's signed a two yeaar  contract and I'd be shocked if he wasn't fully aware of the plan including Newcastle best of luck to the man

13 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

A player will progress faster playing on a regular basis for a championship club than a league 1 club. The whole thing seems most odd to me.

Will Widnes be at the bottom of the Championship again this year? (I don't know their squad, but I know it's been picked pretty thin from seeing media reports) and with Newcastle challenging for promotion again, you'd of thought it may be better for his development to be playing in a winning team surrounded by experienced players, rather than the opposite at Widnes.

Just because they're playing in a higher division, doesn't necessarily mean that players will develop better there.

Archived