Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Fier d'etre Treiziste!

New RL Nation? Bougainville

Recommended Posts

Bougainville Island also known as North Solomon is at present understaking a referendum to separate from PNG. Chances are it will vote to leave, having deposits of copper and gold to sustain it.

RL appears to be popular amongst its poulation of 250,000 and it was here that the first SOO was played betetween Aussie troops from Queensland and NSW during the fight against the Japanese occupiers.

Result expected by mid December, apparently lots of folk coming by boat and down from the hills to vote.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't surprise me if it develops there as the expected outcome is for independence. The Australians will then become very interested in Bourgainville as they will want a piece of the action once the copper mines get developed. Sport is always a good way to build public support, hence the following:

https://png.embassy.gov.au/pmsb/449.html

The game already has support in high places:

https://postcourier.com.pg/rebel-leader-leaves-home-to-watch-england-play-live

Maybe we can get Nigel to include them on the next GB Lions tour, I suspect the game will be quite well organised there in another 13 years or so and they'll probably give us a good game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bougainville is sure to spark interest from the Australian and New Zealand Governments, if for no other reason due to China's heavy interest in the potential new nation.

Interestingly enough, the Bougainville Pride applied to enter the 2019 Digicel Cup, and just missed out (as the competition was already adding 3 teams in one year), and as far as I'm aware their application is still in, hoping to be in 2020... wonder if independence occurs if that will affect the bid, or what not...

Potentially, they are still let in, maybe this could be Solomon's way of getting regular matches, if they could also enter a team in future years.

  • Like 4

signature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The leader of one of the secessionist parties (and self-styled general of the rebel army) went to Port Moresby (for the first time) specifically to watch the GB Lions game the other week, where he told local media GB were his favourite team.

No guarantees that PNG (or Australia) will immediately agree to independence, even if that's the outcome of the vote.

Edited by JonM
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, JonM said:

The leader of one of the secessionist parties (and self-styled general of the rebel army) went to Port Moresby (for the first time) specifically to watch the GB Lions game the other week, where he told local media GB were his favourite team.

No guarantees that PNG (or Australia) will immediately agree to independence, even if that's the outcome of the vote.

Had he seen our other GB matches on the tour? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2019 at 10:04, DoubleD said:

Had he seen our other GB matches on the tour? 

probably that and liking GB more than Australia due to issues around how independence from Australia of PNG effected Bougainville who have closer cultural links to the Soloman Islands than PNG and the exploitative deal the people of Bougainville received for there Mining resources.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

probably that and liking GB more than Australia due to issues around how independence from Australia of PNG effected Bougainville who have closer cultural links to the Soloman Islands than PNG and the exploitative deal the people of Bougainville received for there Mining resources.  

Sorry Kiwi, was meant to be a joke...........point being if he’d seen our other games on tour, GB would be the last team he’d support!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Sorry Kiwi, was meant to be a joke...........point being if he’d seen our other games on tour, GB would be the last team he’d support!

No worries, I get what you mean. I was just trying to get across that a Bougainville Rebel leader is not likely to Support PNG as thats the country they want Independence from. Or Australia either as they administrated PNG up until PNG independane in 1975 and didnt give Bouganville the Independence it sought from PNG in 1975.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...