The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , they won the right to go to SL , and now are unable to even put a team together to play there , sort of puts everything into perspective , they have a 100% record 

They won the right to super league, had a battle asserting that right with the committee and are being voted out by committee. 

The committee will decide what is best I'm sure, and they'll decide what happens next

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

They won the right to super league, had a battle asserting that right with the committee and are being voted out by committee. 

The committee will decide what is best I'm sure, and they'll decide what happens next

Every club winning the right has had a battle , the battle has changed many times depending on who it was , bottom line is they have to give the committee the confidence they can fullfill next season's fixtures on the same basis as everybody else has done in the past 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Every club winning the right has had a battle , the battle has changed many times depending on who it was , bottom line is they have to give the committee the confidence they can fullfill next season's fixtures on the same basis as everybody else has done in the past 

So should committee decide or not? 

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't care either way , but it is wrong to drag it out past deadlines 

Would I like to see Leigh get the spot if Toronto don't ? , Yes , because I'd like to see them play next year , as I don't expect the lower tiers to play at all in 2021, but no doubt that will apply to several other sets of fans who they could argue have as much if not more right to get it 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I don't care either way , but it is wrong to drag it out past deadlines 

Would I like to see Leigh get the spot if Toronto don't ? , Yes , because I'd like to see them play next year , as I don't expect the lower tiers to play at all in 2021, but no doubt that will apply to several other sets of fans who they could argue have as much if not more right to get it 

I think you would care, because by committee is effectively licensing - which you and I know you would be against, no?

I agree on fans and next year even, it would be a crying shame for fans of the 8th biggest club in the Northern hemisphere to never see their team in Super League.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think you would care, because by committee is effectively licensing - which you and I know you would be against, no?

I agree on fans and next year even, it would be a crying shame for fans of the 8th biggest club in the Northern hemisphere to never see their team in Super League.

Of course I am against licencing , but if a global pandemic means it is required to give a workable number of teams in what will be the only competition the sport plays next year , then so be it 

For 1 season 

15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

But this isn’t a matter of promotion or relegation. It is one of readmittance. Toronto’s participation agreement for SL was formally ended. As things stand they are neither a SL club or  a member of any other league. They currently have no right to be in any league. Currently the matter at hand is whether to readmit them to SL or not. If that is rejected then there’ll be a whole other debate among Championship and L1 clubs about admitting them at that level unless the plug is permanently pulled.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

2 minutes ago, Derwent said:

But this isn’t a matter of promotion or relegation. It is one of readmittance. Toronto’s participation agreement for SL was formally ended. As things stand they are neither a SL club or  a member of any other league. They currently have no right to be in any league. Currently the matter at hand is whether to readmit them to SL or not. If that is rejected then there’ll be a whole other debate among Championship and L1 clubs about admitting them at that level unless the plug is permanently pulled.

Correct 

At this moment the are nothing more than a badge on a shirt 

4 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Yes. This.

6 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Which again brings up a fundamental problem with this type of club , they are only viable in the top tier , which other club is in that situation ? 

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

One that did not include Covid. Can't ignore that no matter how hard some try.

Indeed, and it will have a massive impact upon the decision of the SL clubs who have also been adversely affected. No doubt you will be understanding and sympathetic when they say "no"?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

43 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Funny that , on my hols I've just read one of Bill Brysons early works , he loves the place , and I'd guess he's been to more places than you 

He left years ago, mind. 🙂

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

35 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Hunslet and Dewsbury are two cases in point, in case anyone has forgotten.

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Which again brings up a fundamental problem with this type of club , they are only viable in the top tier , which other club is in that situation ? 

Are any of the clubs below SL truly "viable"?

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Is Ottawa in the league this season?

Sorry - I may have misunderstood. I thought the comment was viable for the next 12 months so the expectation is that Ottawa will have had a full season by this time next year.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Hunslet and Dewsbury are two cases in point, in case anyone has forgotten.

Standards based P&R. The most beautiful of phrases.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Sorry - I may have misunderstood. I thought the comment was viable for the next 12 months so the expectation is that Ottawa will have had a full season by this time next year.

Had a full season of doing what ?

Archived