1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Is there something wrong with that link or at my end. It just sends me to the start of this thread ūüė≥

Hmm. I’ll fix later. 

• Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Well I live in Greater Manchester and now under the new rules. My neighbour had at least 3 visitors in his garden until it started raining.  He is in his 50s not some bit of a kid.

I will follow the new guidelines, it will mean not visiting grandchildren or my elderly mum. I haven't been out much other than food shopping or the garden centre.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Is there something wrong with that link or at my end. It just sends me to the start of this thread ūüė≥

PDF, p10, item 14

• Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 hours ago, ckn said:

There's a very complex process behind this that I'm actually very supportive of and it makes sense. For example, a very intensively urban area with a minor but significant infection rate is a far higher risk than a rural area that has a higher rate. We'd expect the latter to burn out far quicker but the former could run away quickly if not managed.

An example, pre-COVID London, people will tolerate sardine-like public transport and personal space is non-existent, but rural folk get all nervous and sweaty if you get within 2m of them.

That's why the Cumbria issue is less of an immediate problem than Bradford or Manchester.

Personally, I'd have taken a harder stance, but then I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, and they've clearly learned their lessons from Leicester that they can't wait until a peak before intervening.

Liverpool is a current example of what you are saying I think.  News just in (locally) that the Liverpool PHE/council/mayor etc are asking people in the Toxteth/Dingle areas of Liverpool to stop visiting other households as there have been 20 new cases in that area alone this last week, which is I think over half the total number of cases in Liverpool for the same period.  20 cases across a whole city would probably not be considered huge but in two areas of that city and within a week suggests a problem.

I think the Leicester situation is proving quite useful actually.  Nobody wants to be Leicester and that the government was willing to close down Leicester like that means people may take seriously the preventative steps where before the Leicester lockdown they may not have.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Well I live in Greater Manchester and now under the new rules. My neighbour had at least 3 visitors in his garden until it started raining.  He is in his 50s not some bit of a kid.

I will follow the new guidelines, it will mean not visiting grandchildren or my elderly mum. I haven't been out much other than food shopping or the garden centre.

Red, they aren't guidelines.  They are the law. 

3 hours ago, redjonn said:

I would agree to an extent.

First instinct should be to stop, and as Spanish government provide updated information then you relax certain area's.

I have no doubt the islands will be removed off the quarantines list.

You also have to trust whatever information based upon how surveillance is being done.  I generally trust ours now we have increased testing and ONS do their weekly surveillance.

I don't know if other countries are doing the ongoing surveillance better or not as good as say ONS and the amount of testing we are doing now.

I guess you have to trust the data from other countries, and that may well be better but I guess any expert advise to ministers will have to take account of that. I mean given how important holiday industry is to Spain I would always have my doubts.... same as we have doubts here if we think government is putting economy ahead of health as many like to accuse.

I think people who are getting irate/upset/whatever about the situation with Spain maybe have forgotten that it won't be only Brits who go to the islands; it will be Spanish folk from other parts of Spain who do too, perhaps from those areas where cases are high.  So the risk can't simply be measured in terms of the island case rates themselves.  The equivalent here is, say, Rossendale which has hardly any cases and the track is downward.  But Rossendale is surrounded by the high risk areas of greater Manchester and people travel into Rossendale from them and vice versa so Rossendale has to endure the same measures as the neighbouring towns.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I think people who are getting irate/upset/whatever about the situation with Spain maybe have forgotten that it won't be only Brits who go to the islands; it will be Spanish folk from other parts of Spain who do too, perhaps from those areas where cases are high.  So the risk can't simply be measured in terms of the island case rates themselves.  The equivalent here is, say, Rossendale which has hardly any cases and the track is downward.  But Rossendale is surrounded by the high risk areas of greater Manchester and people travel into Rossendale from them and vice versa so Rossendale has to endure the same measures as the neighbouring towns.

I understand your point.

Too be honest whilst I understand people want sunny holidays and Spain a great location. The travel web site has always warned that issues may arise, travel disruption is possible and that control measure brought in with little notice.

So when you book you know, it is very clear.

• Like 2

Went out this afternoon for good reason and noted: Lincolnshire coast absolutely packed solid today.  Busier at the beach than I have ever seen in 15 years. Social distancing? What social distancing? Cars dumped everywhere. Most had been ticketed, which is good for our local council funds. Beach huts packed out, too. Mate reports a mile long queue of traffic on the road into Horncastle traffic lights from the coast. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Went out this afternoon for good reason and noted: Lincolnshire coast absolutely packed solid today.  Busier at the beach than I have ever seen in 15 years. Social distancing? What social distancing? Cars dumped everywhere. Most had been ticketed, which is good for our local council funds. Beach huts packed out, too. Mate reports a mile long queue of traffic on the road into Horncastle traffic lights from the coast. 

Wishing to go to the Lincolnshire coast is madness at any time.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

3 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

Yes. Stay away, please! Seriously. Not just now but forever. We didn't move here to be close to other people. ūüė†ūüė†ūüė†ūüė†

Four legs good - two legs bad

4 posts removed. 

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

Having been very anxious about the beach gatherings back when we had summer weather - in spring - I'm not as concerned because such events don't seem to have an impact on virus numbers.  Our numbers have only started rising over the last couple of weeks which means something else is triggering the rise, not overcrowded beaches.  I think people need an outlet from what has become quite a controlled, restricted life under Covid and it will be winter soon enough so given the much lower risk outdoors then hopefully a day at the beach will satiate people and help them to socially distance in their regular lives.  And at least this time businesses can benefit.

Edited by Saintslass
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

What's wrong with the Lincolnshire coast?  I've never been and so I'm curious!

11 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Having been very anxious about the beach gatherings back when we had summer weather - in spring - I'm not as concerned because such events don't seem to have an impact on virus numbers.  Our numbers have only started rising over the last couple of weeks which means something else is triggering the rise, not overcrowded beaches.  I think people need an outlet from what has become quite a controlled, restricted life under Covid and it will be winter soon enough so given the much lower risk outdoors then hopefully a day at the beach will satiate people and help them to socially distance in their regular lives.  And at least this time businesses can benefit.

They've been rising for a month, starting around the time you'd expect from the last beach invasions. 

29 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

They've been rising for a month, starting around the time you'd expect from the last beach invasions. 

All the beaches locally have been absolutely rammed the past few days. They had to close the roads around Camber again yesterday. 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

question for me is where are the beach goers coming from... 

I mean I would drive for 5 hours just for a day at the beach, whereas as I live in North Yorkshire I may drive to Yorkshire coast/beach, say no more than 2 hours. For me that far enough given pain of driving & we know traffic jams on nice days.

In other words I assume most people are like me and its people from within a reasonable area of the resort/beach.  As distinct from what some residents of those are'a bemoan as if their all coming from a massive distance away.

Edited by redjonn

FB_IMG_1596275079054.jpg

• Haha 3

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I realise that's an assumption and may be right... but other relaxations have happened during that period plus other mass gathering of people too... whether protests, raves/street parties, youngsters mixing etc etc... generally those that see their cause as greater or don't care that their actions may have on the older and more vulnerable people to covid.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I realise that's an assumption and may be right... but other relaxations have happened during that period plus other mass gathering of people too... whether protests, raves/street parties, youngsters mixing etc etc... generally those that see their cause as greater or don't care that their actions may have on the older and more vulnerable people to covid.

Young people have had messages at them for weeks now telling them that it's basically their duty to go out and get the economy moving.

By and large, and I realise anecdote is not data, I'm seeing the same level of 'rules following' from all ages and backgrounds. Pretty much total compliance with masks, vague attempts at social distancing in shops, complete breakdown of distancing outside.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

Agree, all those will have helped to get cases moving upwards from the start of July. Any effects from pubs etc opening will be starting to come through anytime now. The ONS survey numbers I saw on the news last night suggest a small increase on the increase over the last few sets of data. Maybe time to revisit all the posts re exponential growth from a few months ago! 

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

question for me is where are the beach goers coming from... 

I mean I would drive for 5 hours just for a day at the beach, whereas as I live in North Yorkshire I may drive to Yorkshire coast/beach, say no more than 2 hours. For me that far enough given pain of driving & we know traffic jams on nice days.

In other words I assume most people are like me and its people from within a reasonable area of the resort/beach.  As distinct from what some residents of those are'a bemoan as if their all coming from a massive distance away.

They were interviewing people visiting the South Coast by train on the news last night. They were all complaining that the trains were so full that social distancing was impossible. Not one of them had had the common sense to not travel.... I'd also question why the rail companies were allowing the trains to be so full?

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Like 3

I'm now at the point where I am just completely fed up of people. I've tried my best to leave people to it and have a live and let live attitude for my own sanity, but now I've just had enough of people! 

I feel like we are in an episode of Black Mirror, all people are bothered about is taking photos and selfies and sod the virus and social distancing. I've been away for a few days so not really keeping up with things, but so many people are posting photos of them hugging people, arms round each other in groups, in cars together even in hot tubs that I assumed I must have missed a relaxation of rules. But no, they are just being ######. 

• Like 2