Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Copa

The days of biting, eye gouging and head butting

Recommended Posts

Someone has posted this on a local group page and I think it really shows how much the game has changed in terms of on field violence.... imagine a player making these types of admissions these days. Things would go crazy!

 

5F77461F-5B0A-42BD-9081-B133C29CAE79.png

C95DC7AE-C7CB-473B-85FF-A5DB4540D92A.jpeg

Edited by Copa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed.

I haven't seen a player banned for head butting since...erm...well, yesterday actually.

  • Haha 4

                                                                        RADFORD OUT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been reading about Dennis Hartley back in the 60's. My Goodness. Grim Stuff! And I imagine there were worse periods in the game.


Rah Rah Emissary:  Our Bigotry will blot out the sun.

Legio XIII:                  Then we shall play in the shade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There used to be a lot of grim stuff in the scrums in the 1960,s. A bit of light heartedness also, Terry Clawson used to sing the latest rock and roll songs to lighten the mood.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could our Australian friends clarify what he means by "I bit him on the bugle".

Edited by Dunbar
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Could our Australian friends clarify what he means by "I bit him on the bugle".

I hope it's not something Israel would disapprove of!

Nose

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There wasn't much biting went on in the scrums in the 50s & 60s as most of the packs had their teeth knocked out by the fighting and stiff arm's that went on so a severe sucking was the least of your worries. Remember that multiple camera's covering the action didn't exsist so off the ball incidents were par for the course. I've heard more one player from that era bemoan the advent of Television coverage removing a vital part of his game, the softening up of the opposition by the dark arts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds very dubious to me.

Phil Lowe bending his back in defence? Pull the other one.


Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the advent of Super League in the mid 90s, this stuff disappeared from top level Rugby League. The RFL 'outsourced' all the biting, eye gouging and head butting to BARLA, who successfully maintained it for the next 20 odd years on a network of council pitches at the bottom of slag heaps across West Yorkshire, and Humberside.

If it was not for BARLA, these practices would simply have been consigned to the history books.

  • Like 2

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Celt said:

With the advent of Super League in the mid 90s, this stuff disappeared from top level Rugby League. The RFL 'outsourced' all the biting, eye gouging and head butting to BARLA, who successfully maintained it for the next 20 odd years on a network of council pitches at the bottom of slag heaps across West Yorkshire, and Humberside.

If it was not for BARLA, these practices would simply have been consigned to the history books.

I don't think they were adverse to suchlike in Lancs and Cumbria either, I might be in a minority of one on here but personally I miss it from the game, different time's and all that but it used to warm up the atmosphere on a cold winter's afternoon as a  player or spectator.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

I don't think they were adverse to suchlike in Lancs and Cumbria either, I might be in a minority of one on here but personally I miss it from the game, different time's and all that but it used to warm up the atmosphere on a cold winter's afternoon as a  player or spectator.

You miss the biting, eye gouging and headbutting?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not on me personally no, but I have experienced them whilst playing many year's ago and they were part of the game you had to be aware of, but today's sanitised version of the game without scrums where most of the skulduggery went on just lacks that gladiatorial feel about it, it's all too chummy. That's why Test matches and tours were so looked forward to, if the first scrum didn't break up in a fight you felt short-changed. As for all the talk about player welfare everbody knew what they were getting into and being paid for, a split lip, busted nose, cauliflower ear and arthritic joint's in later years came with the job. In the near future contact sports will be a thing of the past, sporting enjoyment will come from a console or if you venture outside water polo!  People must be saved from themselves, there's a lot of people making very good money doing that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Not on me personally no, but I have experienced them whilst playing many year's ago and they were part of the game you had to be aware of, but today's sanitised version of the game without scrums where most of the skulduggery went on just lacks that gladiatorial feel about it, it's all too chummy. That's why Test matches and tours were so looked forward to, if the first scrum didn't break up in a fight you felt short-changed. As for all the talk about player welfare everbody knew what they were getting into and being paid for, a split lip, busted nose, cauliflower ear and arthritic joint's in later years came with the job. In the near future contact sports will be a thing of the past, sporting enjoyment will come from a console or if you venture outside water polo!  People must be saved from themselves, there's a lot of people making very good money doing that!

I agree with some of this post - I still look at our sport as being gladitorial, I don't think removing the "dirty" play hasn't sanitised the sport. We still have huge athletes running into eachother as fast as they can, they just don't try and poke someones eyes out when they tackle eachother anymore.

I can't say I see internationals as too "chummy" - I expect when England play Australia later this year, it will be full blooded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is one of the paradoxes of modern Rugby League. The sport has never been physically more demanding to play but to many of us it feels like it is not as tough as it used to be.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...