Challenge cup

townie88

17 minutes ago, Chrome Dome said:

And for both the 13,000 Hull KR match, and the 17,741 Wigan  match I was forced, by my small stature, to take to the grass bank end to manage a view of the pitch..........On return to normal crowds, post both matches, my school colleagues and I sat on the wall in front of the enclosure. Great views.

Remember the Hull KR game, didn't they score a late contentious try to win the game. ?. My Dad was going nuts about it, I know where I get it from. ????

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

Remember the Hull KR game, didn't they score a late contentious try to win the game. ?. My Dad was going nuts about it, I know where I get it from. ????

The HULL KR match that brought 13,000 to DP was the 3rd round (quarter final - with Town the bookies fave to make the semis) in 1962...Ike scored by the corner flag right in the 1st minute..many fans still queueing missed that...but quickly HKR hit back with 3 converted tries to lead 3 - 15 at half time, and that remained to be the full time score.

4 years later Town were at home to HKR in round 2....and were leading until Rovers scored right near the end, unconverted, Town fans thought HKR winger well offside but it was 5 -5    Then what prob angered your Dad was the ref gave them a hotly disputed penalty which won Rovers the game 5 - 7.....Towns try from Sol Roper, goal by Harry Archer.

4 hours ago, Chrome Dome said:

The HULL KR match that brought 13,000 to DP was the 3rd round (quarter final - with Town the bookies fave to make the semis) in 1962...Ike scored by the corner flag right in the 1st minute..many fans still queueing missed that...but quickly HKR hit back with 3 converted tries to lead 3 - 15 at half time, and that remained to be the full time score.

4 years later Town were at home to HKR in round 2....and were leading until Rovers scored right near the end, unconverted, Town fans thought HKR winger well offside but it was 5 -5    Then what prob angered your Dad was the ref gave them a hotly disputed penalty which won Rovers the game 5 - 7.....Towns try from Sol Roper, goal by Harry Archer.

That's the one. Cheers ????

Your cup game against Sheffield will be played at the Keepmoat stadium Sun 15th March 2pm kick off. 

https://t.co/TTLBaR0jdD?amp=1

“It is not revenge we want for poor people, but happiness; indeed, what revenge can be taken for all the thousands of years of the sufferings of the poor?”

On 24/02/2020 at 20:34, Brookie said:

Kitch

Just been reading my Town stuff, bored by the weather, and I've noticed I sort of owe you an apology.

We were discussing the Ashton era cup run , v Carlisle, Hull KR and ended by Oldham...this was in 1991...you said Kitch dropped the winning goal at Carlisle but it was Weebo......However move on to 1994..and Town yet again won by one point in the cup at Carlisle, 13-12..and Wayne Kitchin did drop the important goal...so that's what you were recalling...right player just 3 years later than the Ashton led success. Cheers UTT.

16 minutes ago, Chrome Dome said:

Just been reading my Town stuff, bored by the weather, and I've noticed I sort of owe you an apology.

We were discussing the Ashton era cup run , v Carlisle, Hull KR and ended by Oldham...this was in 1991...you said Kitch dropped the winning goal at Carlisle but it was Weebo......However move on to 1994..and Town yet again won by one point in the cup at Carlisle, 13-12..and Wayne Kitchin did drop the important goal...so that's what you were recalling...right player just 3 years later than the Ashton led success. Cheers UTT.

1994 Was that the game that Des Drummond scored a full lengther?

1 hour ago, Town Army said:

1994 Was that the game that Des Drummond scored a full lengther?

Well Des certainly did score a try...But, although I'd have been there at Carlisle, I can't remember any detail of this try....

Stuart Cocker got the other try, Deano 2 goals, and Kitch the drop.

The attendance on 30/01/94 was a remarkable 2137, prob in the main consisting of the travelling Town Army.

1 hour ago, Chrome Dome said:

Well Des certainly did score a try...But, although I'd have been there at Carlisle, I can't remember any detail of this try....

The attendance on 30/01/94 was a remarkable 2137, prob in the main consisting of the travelling Town Army.

Stuart Cocker though, what a try scorer he was and a very clever player...

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

58 minutes ago, anok4u said:

Stuart Cocker though, what a try scorer he was and a very clever player...

I know he scored lots try’s other ways,but how many must he scored off kick throughs when the other teams were trying to play the ball

32 minutes ago, Sticklebricks said:

I know he scored lots try’s other ways,but how many must he scored off kick throughs when the other teams were trying to play the ball

He had it down to a fine art didn't he.. brilliant

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

4 hours ago, Chrome Dome said:

I remember both, but was on a different year to you

3 hours ago, Chrome Dome said:

Sticks in my mind due to a couple of Carlisle supporters giving him stick most of the game, telling him he was past it, then . . .  off he went!

A sight to behold . . As was the look on their faces ?

38 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Thanks for putting the clips up , Dessie just glided in for his try , but also reminded me what a class player Kevin Pape was , Carlisle at one time their had a really top outfit .

Pape was class but it showed how good our centres were that he had to play on the wing when he joined us...and showed his quality there too.

Btw talking of the challenge cup we can have a look at Sheffield on Our League live on Sunday night..well anybody who isn't still on the A69 can.

Archived