Kevin Taylor R.I.P.

ArthurO

I'm so sad to read in the on-line Oldham News that our great, and loyal, No.9 Kevin Taylor has passed away. 

Yet another true Roughyed legend has left us.

He never gave anything less than 100% effort for us. Always had a smile on his face.  Always willing to give us lads, upstairs in the Hutchins Stand, a friendly wave when he scored a try or occasionally kicked a goal. I once remember him missing his own goal kick after he had scored a try under the posts, right in front of us.  Oh, how we all laughed, including him.  But, it didn't matter we won the game anyway.   

The report mentions that 'he had the honour of making his debut for England under-24s against France on his home ground at Watersheddings which marked the first game under floodlights there in October, 1965'.  I know 'cause I was there.  Was it really 55 years ago ?

Great times. Great memories.

R.I.P. Kevin and many thanks for your service to our great club.

kevin played in one of oldhams great front rows of ken Wilson kevin and Charlie bott a truly great club man r,i,p.

I rember a floodlight cup match at shedding v widnes . the ref. had pulled jim mills out for a foul and was talking to mills when kevin ran up and smacked mills in the face.the look on mills face said it all. kevin then had the very  good sense to do a very fast hasty retreat.    

Seemed like he played in every game I ever watched, he must have been the first name on the teamsheet back in the day.

A fearless hooker, when hooking was both an art and perhaps the most dangerous position on the field, he packed down with the best of 'em.

I think he was a plumber when not wearing the number 9 shirt, he was very well known both on the field and off it.

RIP Kevin, a great Oldhamer and a great rugby leaguer.

Kevin was a great a player and one of my Oldham  heroes in the '60's and it's very sad to hear of his passing.

As someone has already pointed out, Kevin was a plumber and on that subject I have an amusing memory of him doing a job for us, sometime in the '70's. We had asked him to replace the old lead pipes in our hot water cylinder cupboard, in what was a difficult and hot space. Whilst he was doing the job, we arrived home from work one day, to find a few empty beer bottles on the kitchen table - "I hope you don't mind", he said " but I've helped myself to few bottles out of your pantry". He was certainly one happy plumber! 

Archived