Challenge Cup Classics back on BBC One this Sunday

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/05/2020 at 10:16, Oxford said:

First of all boooooo! then no I don't want to see that again for far more reasons than the loss, and t hardly fits the classic profile.

Great news. And one of my favourites too!

The Beeb have to be reminded that TGG on the Telly is a winner.

The game i definitely do NOT want to see is the Oldham v Wigan (delayed) floodlite game at a freezing, worse than freezing, Watersheddings. Lowest point ever of watching RL. Lower than relegation (easily), lower than Sheffield winning the cup. Even lower than Cas winning and Hepworth breaking Tyrers jaw. 

On 10/05/2020 at 16:32, Futtocks said:

John Kear got around didn't he (KR this time)?

Make a me think if he was any good he'd have stayed at one club.

(appreciate I'm being a bit cruel there, but.. )

On 10/05/2020 at 17:09, Futtocks said:

'... Clare Balding was instrumental in drawing him out ... '

Not something I want to keep in my head too long...

...in any context!

...even involving Brian Noble.

26 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I think maybe John Kear's strengths lie in getting more than expected out of a squad of underdogs/journeymen rather than building a top squad and maintaining success over time. Once a club moves up out of the scrapping just to stay up bracket or wins something then they cease to be (or to consider themselves) underdogs as better players come in due to the improving fortunes. They then start to look more to challenging at the top rather than punching above their weight and that doesn't seem to play to Kear's strengths as much. That's not meant to be a criticism of Kear. He is probably more of a troubleshooter/ship steadying coach than a trophy chaser (though he has won some). 

Brian Smith was similarly a well respected coach known for building up a club but in his case without managing to win anything, before others then took on his teams and did win things with them. 

On 12/05/2020 at 12:00, Rupert Prince said:

One club player C%S

but as a club coach from bramley in 92 to bulls 18 coached 8 clubs including PSG

and from 97 coached  3 international teams

On 10/05/2020 at 15:55, Hela Wigmen said:

My only criticism is that I’d love to watch the full games of the games they show. 

I had completely forgotten about the penalty try in 2005. 

Pen try for holding a shirt but nothing for the knee from Mathers into Tony's head when he scored???

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 hour ago, jacksy said:

Pen try for holding a shirt but nothing for the knee from Mathers into Tony's head when he scored???

I thought exactly the same when watching it back. I had to look at the replay to make sure he’d connected but it certainly looked a bad decision. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I thought exactly the same when watching it back. I had to look at the replay to make sure he’d connected but it certainly looked a bad decision. 

I cant remember if anything was actually said at the time either. Maybe to do with Tony getting up apparently uninjured and nobody remonstrating with Ganson or Mathers.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Archived