Greatest Dewsbury Players - the final team

Wakefield Ram

Here it is and thanks for all the posts, brought back a lot of good memories. Hope you enjoyed it, so many good players I'd forgotten till reminded by your posts.

Anyway, before there's any dispute, I have used a bit of discretion for subs as not many votes cast for top 3 subs and Richard Chapman got so many votes I decided we needed a back up hooker.

Here's the team then:

1.  Nathan Graham

2. Eddie Rombo

3. Chris Mita

4. Nigel Stephenson

5. Dennis Bailey

6. Francis Maloney

7. Alan Bates

8. Harry Beverley

9. Mick Stephenson

10. Gary Cocks

11. Jeff Grayshon

12. John Bates

13. Les Holliday

Subs

14. Steve Lee

15. Phil Artis

16. Richard Chapman

and of course by overwhelming votes

17. Tommy Gallagher

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Here it is and thanks for all the posts, brought back a lot of good memories. Hope you enjoyed it, so many good players I'd forgotten till reminded by your posts.

Anyway, before there's any dispute, I have used a bit of discretion for subs as not many votes cast for top 3 subs and Richard Chapman got so many votes I decided we needed a back up hooker.

Here's the team then:

1.  Nathan Graham

2. Eddie Rombo

3. Chris Mita

4. Nigel Stephenson

5. Dennis Bailey

6. Francis Maloney

7. Alan Bates

8. Harry Beverley

9. Mick Stephenson

10. Gary Cocks

11. Jeff Grayshon

12. John Bates

13. Les Holliday

Subs

14. Steve Lee

15. Phil Artis

16. Richard Chapman

and of course by overwhelming votes

17. Tommy Gallagher

Thanks for doing this W Ram.  Been a great memory blast and what a team that would be...

I would be happy to see a squad of that quality turning out. Naturally there is a 1970's onward bias but few of us have any memories of any players from before then.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I would be happy to see a squad of that quality turning out. Naturally there is a 1970's onward bias but few of us have any memories of any players from before then.

Youre right - Frank Gallagher, Joe Lyman, Harry Street, Jimmy Ledgard but all way before my time. Always wondered about Dai Thomas the record try scorer from 1908?  Think the squad covers about 40 years.

11 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

When Mick Stevo was not first choice!! 

IMG_0972.JPG

That program must have been dated just before my transfer (as a spectator) from Wakey to Dewsbury, so would it be 1965 ish ? I'm fairly sure Marsh and Tank W were already at Batley when I got roped in by a friend in 1966.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

13 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

When Mick Stevo was not first choice!! 

IMG_0972.JPG

The 3d programme . I used to fold mine so that I could just read the teams (as I did latterly with the team sheets). Had a Cross’s pie just the other day, but I don’t think the other advertisers are extant. 

Surprised David Tolson was on the wing in preference to Geoff Marsh, but I liked the rest of the threequarters. I cannot recall Alvin Newall ever kicking a goal though. 

On the Salford side, Les Bettinson was a class centre and I think no. 12 Might have been Aiden  Breen, ex Huddersfield winger. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

16 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

The 3d programme . I used to fold mine so that I could just read the teams (as I did latterly with the team sheets). Had a Cross’s pie just the other day, but I don’t think the other advertisers are extant. 

Surprised David Tolson was on the wing in preference to Geoff Marsh, but I liked the rest of the threequarters. I cannot recall Alvin Newall ever kicking a goal though. 

On the Salford side, Les Bettinson was a class centre and I think no. 12 Might have been Aiden  Breen, ex Huddersfield winger. 

Alvin Newall did kick several goals but most were drop goals in his long career . As they still were 2 points until mid 70s 

Archived