Thur 11 Jun: NRL: Manly Sea Eagles v Brisbane Broncos KO 10.50am BST (Sky Sports)

Who will win?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Manly Sea Eagles
    • Brisbane Broncos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/06/20 at 10:15

You have to feel for the Broncos there.  After a couple of poor performances they showed bags of heart tonight.

I thought Seibold got the forward interchange wrong today.  He played Haas for 80 minutes but only gave Lodge 48 minutes and yet he still topped the Broncos run metres with 186.

The momentum of the game that the Broncos had in the first half simply fell away in the first 30 minutes of the second half with the Broncos losing the possession and field position battle.  Manly lost Taupau after just eight minutes, I thought the Broncos should have kept Lodge out there for longer and dominate the middle.  Instead, they just chose to try and soak up the Manly pressure and it backfired.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Jeez, the headline writer for Fox Sports is hard to please.

'They led 18-0... then Broncos totally bottled it as Sea Eagles rocked to easy win'

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/match-centre/NRL20200501/match-report

I would hardly call 20-18 an easy win.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

'They led 18-0... then Broncos totally bottled it as Sea Eagles rocked to easy win'

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/match-centre/NRL20200501/match-report

Especially as the Broncos were on the attack and came close to scoring in the last minute 

49 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

You have to feel for the Broncos there.  After a couple of poor performances they showed bags of heart tonight.

I thought Seibold got the forward interchange wrong today.  He played Haas for 80 minutes but only gave Lodge 48 minutes and yet he still topped the Broncos run metres with 186.

The momentum of the game that the Broncos had in the first half simply fell away in the first 30 minutes of the second half with the Broncos losing the possession and field position battle.  Manly lost Taupau after just eight minutes, I thought the Broncos should have kept Lodge out there for longer and dominate the middle.  Instead, they just chose to try and soak up the Manly pressure and it backfired.

Bronco's seemed to run out of steam...........are they fit enough? Given Manly had a shorter turnaround and lost Taupau early, Broncos should've finished stronger. I didn't see a lot of Ofahengaue, not sure if he got injured? Oates didn't impress much in 2nd row, whilst Croft had a poor game. Their hooker doesn't seem upto it either. They seem to lack leaders. Farnworth was pretty anonymous again.

Staggs was by far their standout player

Just now, DoubleD said:

Bronco's seemed to run out of steam...........are they fit enough? Given Manly had a shorter turnaround and lost Taupau early, Broncos should've finished stronger. I didn't see a lot of Ofahengaue, not sure if he got injured? Oates didn't impress much in 2nd row, whilst Croft had a poor game. Their hooker doesn't seem upto it either. They seem to lack leaders. Farnworth was pretty anonymous again.

I agree that the Broncos lack some leadership - another reason why keeping Lodge off the pitch for so long was a strange decision as he is something of a pack leader for them.

I though Farnworth tried hard enough and carried the ball plenty of times.  He should have got on the score sheet as well - I thought that Boyd took the wrong option going himself and another day he would have been held up over the line.

I agree that Staggs was their best (albeit a couple of brain farts from him... particularly conceding that penalty on the kick return from Trbojevic close to the Manly line)

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree that the Broncos lack some leadership - another reason why keeping Lodge off the pitch for so long was a strange decision as he is something of a pack leader for them.

I though Farnworth tried hard enough and carried the ball plenty of times.  He should have got on the score sheet as well - I thought that Boyd took the wrong option going himself and another day he would have been held up over the line.

I agree that Staggs was their best (albeit a couple of brain farts from him... particularly conceding that penalty on the kick return from Trbojevic close to the Manly line)

Agree about Lodge, although he was giving away penalties with high shots.

Yeah i thought Boyd should've passed but he made it count. I just haven't seen anything from Farnworth yet to make me sit up, he doesn't appear to have the same X factor some of the other kids coming through do. I'm not sure what his best position is, I have a feeling it will be centre

The Broncos really lost that game when they had a disallowed Boyd try, following a poor line ran by Oates which obstructed DCE. That would've made the game 22-0 or 24-0 and put the game to bed but Oates inability to run on the inside shoulder meant it got called for obstruction. Small margins but it's something Oates needs to learn if he's to become a successful back rower

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

The Broncos really lost that game when they had a disallowed Boyd try, following a poor line ran by Oates which obstructed DCE. That would've made the game 22-0 or 24-0 and put the game to bed but Oates inability to run on the inside shoulder meant it got called for obstruction. Small margins but it's something Oates needs to learn if he's to become a successful back rower

I get a bit annoyed with some of these penalties . They’re clearly played for by defenders and fell for by the VR . Here the ref seen it and called it one way , and i just wish they’d have the bottle to go with that if they’re so confident . Once you hand it over the VR he’ll look for any reason to disallow it .I don’t think the  VR should be adjudicating obstruction , he’s second guessing things and at times all common sense is lost . That decision changed that game , that had no influence on that try .It’s funny how every tackle the ref shouts don’t milk it or milking ... why? Milking things wins penalties , whether it be obstructions or flinging yourself around in a tackle or letting go of the ball

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

2 hours ago, koli said:

Especially as the Broncos were on the attack and came close to scoring in the last minute 

Not unknown in journalism for copy and headline to be disconnected. In this case the headline writer and copywriter must be on different sides of the universe. Usually when NRL journalists misread a game it`s through reading too much into the scoreline. Many a high-quality game gets written off as a blowout because the winning team layer some icing in the final quarter.

31 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I get a bit annoyed with some of these penalties . They’re clearly played for by defenders and fell for by the VR . Here the ref seen it and called it one way , and i just wish they’d have the bottle to go with that if they’re so confident . Once you hand it over the VR he’ll look for any reason to disallow it .I don’t think the  VR should be adjudicating obstruction , he’s second guessing things and at times all common sense is lost . That decision changed that game , that had no influence on that try .It’s funny how every tackle the ref shouts don’t milk it or milking ... why? Milking things wins penalties , whether it be obstructions or flinging yourself around in a tackle or letting go of the ball

I disagree on that one David..........Oates clearly ran on the outside shoulder of DCE and he might have got to Boyd. Regardless, the rule is clear, Oates needs to run on the inside shoulder - all he had to do was change his angle or side step and it wouldn't have got called. It was poor from Oates

That decisive ball-steal penalty call illustrates the need for an intelligent, even moral, benefit of the doubt application of all the rules of the game. Calls cannot always be literally accurate. When there`s uncertainty, the ref should be guided by the rulebook to know where to give the benefit of the doubt, in terms of Football and moral logic. Judged against those sort of criteria, this was a bad call.

Really loathe to criticise individual refs. Ashley Klein`s general control of a game is fine, but he has form on both sides of the world of making this type of unnecessary, iniquitous call. Good example is where the ball comes loose on tackle 5. It`s unclear how, even on replays. All RL logic and equity tells you that the defenders deserve the benefit of the doubt, yet Ash can call a rip or hand in the ruck. Result being an 11 tackle set, awarded on nothing more than random guesswork.

51 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

That decisive ball-steal penalty call illustrates the need for an intelligent, even moral, benefit of the doubt application of all the rules of the game. Calls cannot always be literally accurate. When there`s uncertainty, the ref should be guided by the rulebook to know where to give the benefit of the doubt, in terms of Football and moral logic. Judged against those sort of criteria, this was a bad call.

Really loathe to criticise individual refs. Ashley Klein`s general control of a game is fine, but he has form on both sides of the world of making this type of unnecessary, iniquitous call. Good example is where the ball comes loose on tackle 5. It`s unclear how, even on replays. All RL logic and equity tells you that the defenders deserve the benefit of the doubt, yet Ash can call a rip or hand in the ruck. Result being an 11 tackle set, awarded on nothing more than random guesswork.

Also a number of restarts where the ball carrier collapses to the floor with no or minimum pressure on him or a solitary hand , which is incredible when you’re 18 stone and can drag 4 blokes down the paddock . These are important calls but too often its really minimal , questionable or irrelevant . Penalties ( restarts now as well ) should be at a premium but they’re thrown about like confetti 

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

Also a number of restarts where the ball carrier collapses to the floor with no or minimum pressure on him or a solitary hand , which is incredible when you’re 18 stone and can drag 4 blokes down the paddock . These are important calls but too often its really minimal , questionable or irrelevant . Penalties ( restarts now as well ) should be at a premium but they’re thrown about like confetti 

Absolutely poor officiating.

Broncos were the better side and on a different day would have won convincingly.

Manly must had 6 or 7 times the number of penalties and were not penalised for the same offences. They even benefited when the touch missed the 40/20 that hit the line and wasn't called.

Broncos were really close but with much less ball, they'll be winning soon.

It's almost like retribution from last weekend for Manly and making things right this week.

On 11/06/2020 at 13:47, DoubleD said:

Farnworth anonymous again...

Obviously I’m a bit biased.

But. He always goes looking for work. We’ve not seen him in any decent attacking positions yet. I don’t think he’s received a pass from Boyd yet. I think Boyd was fortunate to score when he should have put Farnworth away. From what I remember of the game only one attacking kick came his way. Understandably given the success that Coates was having on the right wing. Nearly all his work is done in his own half.

He always puts himself on offer bringing the ball out of his own 20, often more than once in a set of six.

167 metres from 16 carries, second only to Payne Haas in post contact metres made with 72m.

I think he’s doing very well considering how the Broncos are doing at the moment.

Watch this space ?

1 hour ago, burnleywelsh said:

Farnworth anonymous again...

Obviously I’m a bit biased.

But. He always goes looking for work. We’ve not seen him in any decent attacking positions yet. I don’t think he’s received a pass from Boyd yet. I think Boyd was fortunate to score when he should have put Farnworth away. From what I remember of the game only one attacking kick came his way. Understandably given the success that Coates was having on the right wing. Nearly all his work is done in his own half.

He always puts himself on offer bringing the ball out of his own 20, often more than once in a set of six.

167 metres from 16 carries, second only to Payne Haas in post contact metres made with 72m.

I think he’s doing very well considering how the Broncos are doing at the moment.

Watch this space ?

I don't disagree with any of that..........and people put forward similar arguments/stats for Ryan Hall.

I clarified my point in a later post on here, that I haven't seen anything from him to make me sit up and take notice and that he doesn't appear to have the X factor of some youngsters who are coming through. He does appear to be used as a bit of a utility player. I have a feeling centre will be his best position long term.

When teams tend to attack down the other side of the field, it's generally because they feel they carry greater threat

38 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I don't disagree with any of that..........and people put forward similar arguments/stats for Ryan Hall.

I clarified my point in a later post on here, that I haven't seen anything from him to make me sit up and take notice and that he doesn't appear to have the X factor of some youngsters who are coming through. He does appear to be used as a bit of a utility player. I have a feeling centre will be his best position long term.

When teams tend to attack down the other side of the field, it's generally because they feel they carry greater threat

He won't stay on the wing. 

Archived