Jump to content

Championship clubs still in deadlock


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes, most probably so, but please tell me a fairer way in any league system than each team playing each other twice to sort out the best and worst of the division, or put another way those at the top and those at the bottom of the ladder. 

I agree that is totally fair in normal circumstances. Even with that though, one side is unlikely to play at home for the foreseeable, others will be playing at neutral grounds till September and one club will have fans. That's before even getting to how the rules of the competition have changed mid-season. 

Only a week or so now to the 23rd where we'll see what emerges. Are you hopeful?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thats quite correct Riggers, those Championship teams who consider it unviable to play without gate reciepts let them forfeit their fixtures with no reprimands or reprisals, those who want to play on to a meaningful conclusion let them also do so, win win all round.

back in the day  harry it was 18 0 for a forfeit due to inflation wonder what score they will give out now 😂 😂 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, POR said:

back in the day  harry it was 18 0 for a forfeit due to inflation wonder what score they will give out now 😂 😂 😂

100% they borrowed that as a 3 nil loss from football and translated it lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I agree that is totally fair in normal circumstances. Even with that though, one side is unlikely to play at home for the foreseeable, others will be playing at neutral grounds till September and one club will have fans. That's before even getting to how the rules of the competition have changed mid-season. 

Only a week or so now to the 23rd where we'll see what emerges. Are you hopeful?

Am I hopeful no not really as I put in my earlier post to johnny, and I see it as a collective argument in respect of as you intimate it is not fair on Toronto, lets just rewind a couple of seasons to when your club could not play at home for a protracted period which was an unavoidable nessacity they would gave been in the exact same circumstance if these 'lockdown' fixtures are to be played anywhere other than Headingley - that just happens to be good fortune for Leeds - but the difference with Toronto is that it is not a one off situation it is a continuation season after season due to the climatic conditions in Canada, if there is another wave of this epidemic next season and Canada again closes its borders should the integrity of our system be compromised to suit one team.

Sorry Tommy, but Toronto have joined our League system as have Ottawa it is up to them to do whatever they can to comply with the rest of the teams, and not have the structure altered to suit them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Really, I will take your word for it as far as football is concerned, but it really makes a change RL are useually the innovators to which other sports follow. 

It may have been the other way around for all I know but I saw the similarity instantly. 100% was a figure of speech.

Edited by Tommygilf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Am I hopeful no not really as I put in my earlier post to johnny, and I see it as a collective argument in respect of as you intimate it is not fair on Toronto, lets just rewind a couple of seasons to when your club could not play at home for a protracted period which was an unavoidable nessacity they would gave been in the exact same circumstance if these 'lockdown' fixtures are to be played anywhere other than Headingley - that just happens to be good fortune for Leeds - but the difference with Toronto is that it is not a one off situation it is a continuation season after season due to the climatic conditions in Canada, if there is another wave of this epidemic next season and Canada again closes its borders should the integrity of our system be compromised to suit one team.

Sorry Tommy, but Toronto have joined our League system as have Ottawa it is up to them to do whatever they can to comply with the rest of the teams, and not have the structure altered to suit them.

Of course, they're also a member of the league and it shouldn't be made unduly difficult for them to compete either. 

The main complaints about relegation etc. haven't come from our transat cousins but from these shores. This doesn't need to be a debate around Toronto, though they are an additional factor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Of course, they're also a member of the league and it shouldn't be made unduly difficult for them to compete either. 

The main complaints about relegation etc. haven't come from our transat cousins but from these shores. This doesn't need to be a debate around Toronto, though they are an additional factor.

I predict it will be a debate that will centre around Toronto. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

I predict it will be a debate that will centre around Toronto. 

They'll be a key part of it H, but its been Hull KR that have consistently brought it up and Wakefield that are now facing a players strike.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Agreed, but it is nothing to do with making it difficult for them, the Geographical situation dictates it.

It does, that doesn't change it from being unduly difficult and generally accepted as such by the rest of the league (which it is).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tommygilf said:

They'll be a key part of it H, but its been Hull KR that have consistently brought it up and Wakefield that are now facing a players strike.

HKR don't like the heat generated in the Kitchen, and Wakefild are just totally reliant on the 'Handout' to keep them in SL, they are in effect one of the clubs that those wealthier in the Championship reason they could replace, if all the SL clubs were indeed Super like your own, or Saints, Wire or Wigan we would know our place but that isn't the case.

Cue Scotchy, where is your mate by the way? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, POR said:

back in the day  harry it was 18 0 for a forfeit due to inflation wonder what score they will give out now 😂 😂 😂

Oh ?

When did that happen in the professional game?

What happened when York dropped out midseason ?  Just remind me ...........

Edited by Griff
Typo

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dkw said:

So what amazing thinking out the box things have you done during the lockdown to get Rugby league back playing?

Leigh have raised £150k in pledges from sponsors to pay for testing and donated tens of thousands to charities dealing with the most vulnerable, what has your club done

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Leigh have raised £150k in pledges from sponsors to pay for testing and donated tens of thousands to charities dealing with the most vulnerable, what has your club done

He asked what have you done.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

HKR don't like the heat generated in the Kitchen, and Wakefild are just totally reliant on the 'Handout' to keep them in SL, they are in effect one of the clubs that those wealthier in the Championship reason they could replace, if all the SL clubs were indeed Super like your own, or Saints, Wire or Wigan we would know our place but that isn't the case.

Cue Scotchy, where is your mate by the way? 

Obviously true, and you know I agree with you on that front. Clearly shows that its not "all about Toronto" though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sorry Tommy, I could read that two ways, please emphasise.

The rest of the league are aware that not playing an entire season at home is inherently unfair/difficult/problematic (take your pick) and its been reported centrally how Super League are concerned it would be embarrassing for their Canadian expansion to not even happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

HKR don't like the heat generated in the Kitchen, and Wakefild are just totally reliant on the 'Handout' to keep them in SL, they are in effect one of the clubs that those wealthier in the Championship reason they could replace, if all the SL clubs were indeed Super like your own, or Saints, Wire or Wigan we would know our place but that isn't the case.

Cue Scotchy, where is your mate by the way? 

Do you think the wealthier clubs in the Championship would be able to stand the heat or not heavily reliant on the handout?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The rest of the league are aware that not playing an entire season at home is inherently unfair/difficult/problematic (take your pick) and its been reported centrally how Super League are concerned it would be embarrassing for their Canadian expansion to not even happen.

And that is exactly what I was referring to as the main excuse which will be generated by the clubs who could deemed to be in a relegation battle to abort it for this season, hiding behind 'it's not fair for Toronto' when they actually will be thinking of themselves.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

And that is exactly what I was referring to as the main excuse which will be generated by the clubs who could deemed to be in a relegation battle to abort it for this season, hiding behind 'it's not fair for Toronto' when they actually will be thinking of themselves.

Thats on top of everything else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The season can't wait for Toronto, they may have to quarantine and play some home fixtures over here, but a much bigger factor could be the possibility of a second wave. This is one of the reasons to restart in September/October if possible, but fixture dates , shouldn't be set in stone, flexibility needs to built in just in case we have localised lockdowns, or even a second national one.  . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Very moot question, but reversed do you think that privaledge should just be kept with certain clubs?

For entertainment purposes, no. However, if the only difference is the name of the team, e.g Hull KR struggling to deal with the heat becomes Featherstone struggling to deal with the heat, is that really good enough? Shouldn’t we be aiming for real change and a resolution of the issues teams face?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...