Sign in to follow this  
Gerrumonside ref

NFL/College 2020/2021

Thought a new thread might be in order for a new season.

Biggest news at the moment is off the field and a likely nickname change for the Washington Redskins.

This has been gathering momentum for years and looks to have reached a critical mass now with the intervention of sponsors like FedEx and kit suppliers Nike.

I have been reading this morning that Washington’s head coach is quoted as saying the change could happen before the upcoming season with two alternative nicknames in the mix.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

At the moment the new name being proposed for the Redskins is the Red Tails. The Red Tails being the name given to fighter pilots  of African and Caribbean  descent in the American air force in the second world war.

I shall run the tipping competition again this season.Free to enter to all as the Saw Doctors sing we are all the one.

There will be a prize to the winner. I'm open to suggestions to what that should be within reason of course.

20 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Thought a new thread might be in order for a new season.

Biggest news at the moment is off the field and a likely nickname change for the Washington Redskins.

This has been gathering momentum for years and looks to have reached a critical mass now with the intervention of sponsors like FedEx and kit suppliers Nike.

I have been reading this morning that Washington’s head coach is quoted as saying the change could happen before the upcoming season with two alternative nicknames in the mix.

Very pleased to see this finally happening. It's a horrible nickname and I, for one, will welcome the Washington Communist Overlords to the NFL.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 05/07/2020 at 19:36, Irish Saint said:

At the moment the new name being proposed for the Redskins is the Red Tails. The Red Tails being the name given to fighter pilots  of African and Caribbean  descent in the American air force in the second world war.

I shall run the tipping competition again this season.Free to enter to all as the Saw Doctors sing we are all the one.

There will be a prize to the winner. I'm open to suggestions to what that should be within reason of course.

If you’re happy to run the competition then I will buy a prize of some official NFL merchandise for the team of the winner’s choice to be purchased nearer the time.

For those who don’t know, Irish Saint provided an amazing prize of an NFL Anniversary book last year to myself.  So as winner from last year I’m happy to provide a reward for this year.

It will probably be something like an NFL headwear type beanie rather than anything too expensive.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It will probably be something like an NFL headwear type beanie rather than anything too expensive.

Might as well order a Cleveland Browns one right now as "this is my year"*

*quote on loan from Warrington 😉

• Haha 2

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

16 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

If you’re happy to run the competition then I will buy a prize of some official NFL merchandise for the team of the winner’s choice to be purchased nearer the time.

For those who don’t know, Irish Saint provided an amazing prize of an NFL Anniversary book last year to myself.  So as winner from last year I’m happy to provide a reward for this year.

Lucky. You were lucky.

Good effort on the prize front...

• Like 1

Ivy League moving all autumn sports to the spring. Big 10 says football will be played in its normal season but conference games only.

Have to say, I cannot see an NCAA season happening in its usual time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 10/07/2020 at 07:30, gingerjon said:

Ivy League moving all autumn sports to the spring. Big 10 says football will be played in its normal season but conference games only.

Have to say, I cannot see an NCAA season happening in its usual time.

Hard to say what will actually happen, SEC, BIG10, PAC12, ACC and BIG12 (the so called power 5 conferences), have lucrative TV deals and those TV companies want some games to cover so they will probably find a way. The lesser Div1 conferences, plus Div2 have the same problems as USports in Canada in that there’s no TV deal and if no or very few fans are allowed then it costs money to play, plus testing would be very expensive because you would have to test the entire roster, not just the game day actives. My son has heard rumour of a spring comp for his team (Canadian USports) but it will all depend on whether fans are allowed as otherwise it’s uneconomic (and that’s a team that has been National Champion, beaten finalist and conference runner up in the three seasons he has played there and also has a good portfolio of sponsors, probably better than 3-4 Super League teams) and if his team management is saying that then any football below US power 5 is in doubt. That then brings the question about what happens with next years drafts for NFL and especially CFL for although the vast majority of players come from Power5 teams a decent minority come from FCS, Div2 and USports. My own son would have been draft eligible next year and although he isn’t planning at looking at a pro career (CFL wages are a joke and few last more than 3 years), some of his team mates are, and as a result may miss out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Washington to compete next season in the NFL without a nickname or a logo.

They will keep their burgundy and gold colour scheme though.

The helmet logo will be replaced by a player number as they continue work on replacing their nickname and logo.

Thirty players  have opted out of the upcoming season. The most notable being  Dont'a Hightower and Patrick Cheung both starters in the Patriots defensive.

Players have until August 4th to opt out.

• Haha 1

To celebrate a new five year deal with the NFL Sky are to unveil a dedicated  NFL channel from September 3rd ,season starts on the 10th Sky Sports Acrion 407 will become Sky NFL. Five live games will be shown per week  Thankfully Red Zone is also included in the package.

One downside is that the sports that were on 407 and 408 will now be confined to 408. It looks like Sky are going to make some cuts in their sports coverage.

10 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

To celebrate a new five year deal with the NFL Sky are to unveil a dedicated  NFL channel from September 3rd ,season starts on the 10th Sky Sports Acrion 407 will become Sky NFL. Five live games will be shown per week  Thankfully Red Zone is also included in the package.

One downside is that the sports that were on 407 and 408 will now be confined to 408. It looks like Sky are going to make some cuts in their sports coverage.

Given the number of colleges and conferences now opting out of an autumn season, there could be some Saturday games for Sky to show.