Elite 1 Update

audois

St Esteve 30-18 Toulouse Olympique Elite

Villeneuve sur Lot 25-10 Lezignan

Albi 24-31 Avignon

Palau 20-40 Limoux

St Gaudens 32-34 Carcassonne

A full-set this weekend with all 5 matches played. The French rugby union programme 20% games down with the corunavirus. The game at Stade Gilbert Brutus between the respectve reserve sides of the Dragons and Toulouse Olympique was better than expected. The visitors have struggled to put out competitive sides the last few seasons so it was a pleasant surprise to see them show-up for this one. Interesting too that the sides coached by two former Dragons players who played together in the Wembley Cup Final of 2006 against St Helens. Seb Raguin in charge at TO and for the St Esteve side by Justin Murphy. The visiters led at HT and it took nearly an hour before the homeside took the lead. Props Salabio and Vailhen both from Provence outstanding for the Perpignan side- the latter with a rampaging run for a try from half way. First sight of 18 yr old half-back Rougé and he went well with a show and go for a try which got his team back into contention. The coverage/streaming from the Toulouse station ViàOccitanie impressive with good camera angles and excellent commentry here from the Dragons head of communications Bruno Onteniente.

Elsewhere Saturday Villeneuve sur-Lot convincing winners against a Lezignan side still down on numbers with Stacul and Maria not there and overseas contingent not yet arrived USV though also missing half-backs Godinet and Robin. Over at Albi a good win for visitors Avignon. Be interesting to see how they go this year on and off the field, Former Catalans CEO Christophe Jouffret involved. Wonder wether his son will turn up after the no-start at Ottawa. SOA have a strong group of senior players still there, captain Arnaud, Bissiere in the halves, up front Mendy, Clement,Pourret and Comtat. Good juniors up there too.

Sunday saw Carcassonne come from behind to snatch the points in the very last minute from St Gaudens with first run-outs for Tuilagi and Fijian Drodrolagi. Down at Palau the Perpignan minnows with the elder Milhoudi on show couldn’t get the better of a strong Limoux out-fit who where down to ten players at one stage in the sceond half.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What do French fans make of the two reserve sides being in Elite 1 @audois? I noticed that crowds for the final are loads lower than usual when St Esteve are in it?

Sorry to butt in (Yes its a problem) I was at the 1998 Final in Narbonne St Esteve  were in it and the crowd was over 13000

5 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Sorry to butt in (Yes its a problem) I was at the 1998 Final in Narbonne St Esteve  were in it and the crowd was over 13000

According to Wikipedia there were 1,500 at the 18/19 grand final (St Esteve v Carcassonne) whereas usually the crowd is at least 5,000 and often much more. 

30 minutes ago, Eddie said:

According to Wikipedia there were 1,500 at the 18/19 grand final (St Esteve v Carcassonne) whereas usually the crowd is at least 5,000 and often much more. 

CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL Not Lord Derby Cup it was  1997/98 and I think the Leopards were the opposition down as 12000 in the local paper was 13000:)

And never 1500 thats totally inaccurate .

We played in the u 19s final v Avignon after this(even though it should have been before but it was 40 degrees at 4 pm so we played after this final at around 10.30 pm kick off due to floodlight failure, it was played in Albi, there was mainly fans from lezignan and carcassonne due to travel distances and both Avignon and st esteve xiii catalans reserves don't get many fans, 

As for the xiii catalans v toulouse game the teams are almost identical to the cup final in the juniors from 2 years ago. 

I can remember TO a decade and more turning up at Carcassonne with just 9 lads for an U19s game. How they have moved on from there. 2005 Challenge Cup semi final against Leeds at Huddersfield too. There's depth there now as was shown Saturday at Stade Gilbert Brutus. And it was great to see these two teams playing at Brutus with so many French youngsters. Early doors I know but I like to think Elite 1 can bat down the order in 2021. Encouraging.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

5 minutes ago, audois said:

I can remember TO a decade and more turning up at Carcassonne with just 9 lads for an U19s game. How they have moved on from there. 2005 Challenge Cup semi final against Leeds at Huddersfield too. There's depth there now as was shown Saturday at Stade Gilbert Brutus. And it was great to see these two teams playing at Brutus with so many French youngsters. Early doors I know but I like to think Elite 1 can bat down the order in 2021. Encouraging.

Totally agree Gordon however my main concern is that they should be given an exemption for 3 years from relegation (Like the Dragons were) thus eliminating the need for so many English imports.

I did a study on here a few months ago showing the decline in French players since the early days Mick Potter and Trent Robinson were by far the best 2 coaches for giving French players a fair crack of the whip.

12 minutes ago, audois said:

I’m sold on Toulouse now, I’ve never understood why so many on this forum see them as the answer to all SL’s problems, mainly because their attendances are so small, but now TWP are sadly out I think they’re the best option as promotion isn’t going to be won on the pitch. And if Elite 1 strengthens off the back of it than even better. 

Should have mentioned Toulouses' teenager winger Etienne Depeyre outstading performance Saturday scoring all four his sides' tries. Remember Dragons reserves were 2019 Champions. They've some years ahead of TO at this level so to see their efforts Saturday is pleasing. Good also to see experienced French international prop Clement Boyer involved too. He was expecting to play for Ottawa in 2021.

The local L'Independant newspaper's Elite 1 team of the week featured Depeyre. Alongside Palau's Hakim Miloudi and St Gauden's centre Kuni Minga.It's promising to see players from these three sides particularly showing-up. Let's see more of it

8 minutes ago, audois said:

Should have mentioned Toulouses' teenager winger Etienne Depeyre outstading performance Saturday scoring all four his sides' tries. Remember Dragons reserves were 2019 Champions. They've some years ahead of TO so to see their efforts Saturday is pleasing. Good also to see experienced French international prop Clement Boyer involved too. He was expecting to play for Ottawa in 2021.

The local L'Independant newspaper's Elite 1 team of the week featured Depeyre. Alongside Palau's Hakim Miloudi and St Gauden's centre Kuni Minga.It's promising to see players from these three sides showing-up. Let's see more of it

Didnt realise Minga was back in the mix, good to see 

14 minutes ago, barnyia said:

I'd guess so, don't forget these players go to work everyday and play rugby on the side so open to infection. 

Yeah I wasn’t criticising, I just wondered if that was the reason or not. Must be hard for them, especially without crowds. 

22 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Didnt realise Minga was back in the mix, good to see 

PNG player? Excellent at TO a few seasons back and on the verge of playing for France. Just lost his way. Took himself off to Pro 2 at Narbonne for a while. He reappeared last season at St Gaudens. Maybe at last found his niche in the foot-hills of the Pyrenees.

22 hours ago, barnyia said:

https://fr-fr.facebook.com/FFRXIII/

Whoops only one game can be played this weekend, carcassonne v catalans which will replace the limoux game on via occitane 

Unfortunate that. Still pleased as punch that they've rearranged the Carcassonne-St Esteve game. I wonder some times why the Perpignan team don't just call themselves Catalans Dragons Elite like Toulouse do. St Esteve seem to have re-branded their Federation side with Greg Mounis involved playing at the Municipal Stadium at St Esteve. The Catalans now younger than last season with Guasch and Ambert gone- average age last Saturday I think was U20 yrs..

• 2 weeks later...

Carcassonne and the Dragons reserve team are the only sides to have played all 3 games and sit-out this weekend The Magic weekend now postponed to give the other eight sides time to catch-up. Looks like the four rearraged games will take place fortunately. An Aude derby will see Limoux host Lezignan Saturday while Villeneuve/Lot receive Avignon also on Saturday in the televised game on the ViàOccitanie Channel (3pm GMT time), Should be worth a look in as the USV have strengthened their squad appreciably. Four from TO who have had lots of experience in the Championship across the Channel, Robin,Marguerite,Mika and Kriouache now on board. The Aquitaine side serious contenders I think in 2021. The other ties Sunday will see Toulouse Olympique Elite and St Gaudens host respectively Palau and Albi. Of that quartet only TO have one victory so far.

Archived