World Cup Warm Up Games

Eddie

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Also, there's more Tongans in New Zealand than in Tonga

True. And even then, the crowd for last years game against GB was a bit flaky. Even the 2017 RLWC QF against Lebanon in Christchurch only drew about 8000, so they're not the guaranteed sell out some suggest they are. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, thirteenthman said:

True. And even then, the crowd for last years game against GB was a bit flaky. Even the 2017 RLWC QF against Lebanon in Christchurch only drew about 8000, so they're not the guaranteed sell out some suggest they are. 

They're still something tangible to build on though that said!

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

There is a 10,000 capacity stadium in Tonga, where their Union side play. Why don’t the RL side play there now and again? 

I guess it wouldn’t make enough money, but sometimes loss making games should be put on. You’d think profits from a World Cup could be spent on hosting internationals outside of World Cups. Tonga v Samoa in Tonga would be a great occasion.

4 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I guess it wouldn’t make enough money, but sometimes loss making games should be put on. You’d think profits from a World Cup could be spent on hosting internationals outside of World Cups. Tonga v Samoa in Tonga would be a great occasion.

Exactly, and would get more Tongans in Tonga exposed to the sport at the highest level. From what I’ve heard Tonga is there for the taking as far as League v Union is concerned and surely that could only help. 

27 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That's all great but a simple, "oh yeah I forgot about that and was wrong", would have sufficed. Whether it was lethargy or lack of pride in the jersey or whatever, the excuse of fallow off seasons was made for why Australia played only 1 mid year test in 2015.

The Kangaroos should be a fundamental part of the game's international future. With the help of New Zealand they now have 5 serious tests on their doorstep with Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG. With the Oceania cup they're advancing that too.  

It`s not that I forgot it, it`s probably that I just didn`t take any notice in the first place, internationals have been such a non-event, really since that brief Kiwi revival 10+ years ago, that the Kangaroos itinerary just hasn`t been a priority, it just doesn`t register and what was said in that article didn`t bear any resemblance to Cam Smith saying there won`t be any internationals this year because he was too tired. What the other players said I thought was quite reasonable, although you could tell their hearts weren`t really in it. 

56 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It`s not that I forgot it, it`s probably that I just didn`t take any notice in the first place, internationals have been such a non-event, really since that brief Kiwi revival 10+ years ago, that the Kangaroos itinerary just hasn`t been a priority, it just doesn`t register and what was said in that article didn`t bear any resemblance to Cam Smith saying there won`t be any internationals this year because he was too tired. What the other players said I thought was quite reasonable, although you could tell their hearts weren`t really in it. 

So your "follow league intently for 45 years" claim is a bit shakey then if you missed one of your own nation's major internationals policy of the last 10 years. I have no doubt you follow your domestic league closely, but that the Kangaroos news "doesn't register" suggests the lack of concern for internationals argument made by several others about Australia.

Everyone knows "fallow years" mean cba - which includes both physical tiredness and the mental not having their heart in it. They were happy to play a World Cup every 4 years (just about) and a 4 Nations every 2 years before and after the World Cup. In between they wanted an off season fully off. Under Mal, they've now shifted to include an Oceania Cup, though in reality this works out at 1 mid season game and an added 1 post season game (wow), and this year were looking to return as a touring outfit to England.

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Don’t most of the Tongan’s in New Zealand live in Auckland?

Indeed. According to the always reliable Wikipedia, in 2018, 82,389 people in NZ identified as Tongans of which 75% lived in the Auckland region. Also, there's over 180,000 Samoans in NZ as well, so a succesful Samoan team has even bigger potential in NZ. 

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I have no doubt you follow your domestic league closely, but that the Kangaroos news "doesn't register" suggests the lack of concern for internationals argument made by several others about Australia.

The lack of interest in internationals down here is reflected in the TV ratings, often their worse than a club game, and if Australia`s not involved, forget it, I always tune in, but more often than not you wonder why you bother, it`s usually over by half time.

My main beef above was that I just didn`t think it was right that a story was being put about that Cam Smith controlled whether Australia played internationals or not, in hindsight, perhaps the remark was tongue-in-cheek or maybe I just took it a bit too seriously, but I figured for people on the other side of the world to get that information, well there`s enough misinformation flying about these days without deliberately adding to it, that`s why I started my response with " For the sake of balance..." and when I said intently I was mainly referring to the fact that I am sure I would have heard such a claim, it was pretty outrageous.

So at the end of the day it isn`t me who should be saying " I was wrong, I forgot" more somebody else who should be saying " yeah I was exaggerating and making it sound like a fact" but I don`t want to make a big deal out of this, I think we have provided balance to this argument now. 

12 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

The lack of interest in internationals down here is reflected in the TV ratings, often their worse than a club game, and if Australia`s not involved, forget it, I always tune in, but more often than not you wonder why you bother, it`s usually over by half time.

The Anazc tests in May 2016 and 2017 were actually the biggest rating games of the year for Channel 9 outside of finals games and Origin. It's the end of season matches that see low ratings.  

29 minutes ago, thirteenthman said:

The Anazc tests in May 2016 and 2017 were actually the biggest rating games of the year for Channel 9 outside of finals games and Origin. It's the end of season matches that see low ratings.  

It's a shame they cancelled the ANZAC test as I felt it was something good for the international game and the ratings mentioned reflect that.

Hopefully it could be brought back at some point however I doubt the NRL would want to due to injury / burnout concerns. It seems now the Full Kangaroos side will be likely to only play matches after the NRL season has finished. 

On 27/11/2020 at 11:39, Eddie said:

True that. If France v Wales was played at Batley what would the crowd be, 1,500? 

It might be a good idea to play it in Wales, or Carcassonne, don't you think?

8 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

It might be a good idea to play it in Wales, or Carcassonne, don't you think?

Definitely, but the point was that you can’t compare Tonga playing in Aus/NZ to Wales v France being played in England. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Definitely, but the point was that you can’t compare Tonga playing in Aus/NZ to Wales v France being played in England. 

I agree mate but I think we've got to start somewhere.

I'm eager for the Welsh team in particular, to play Jamaica, USA and Canada. 

Archived