6 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Which rookies/youngsters are you looking forward to seeing this season to either emerge or kick on from your own club and other clubs??

for me at saints I’m looking forward to seeing more of halfback lewis Dodd and wigan backrower kai Pearce-Paul .

I am really looking forward to seeing more of Dodd as well. Hopefully in the Saints first team.

From what I have seen of him he has everything needed to succeed.

Can't wait to see how Harry Smith and Dodd develop. Dodd seems to have a better running game but they are both strong kickers and tactically astute.

At Wigan, Hanley has done very well at evey age group so will look forward to seeing him develop as well.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I am really looking forward to seeing more of Dodd as well. Hopefully in the Saints first team.

Can't wait to see how Harry Smith and Dodd develop. Dodd seems to have a better running game but they are both strong kickers and tactically astute.

At Wigan, Hanley has done very well at evey age group so will look forward to seeing him develop as well.

Keeping my fingers firmly crossed that Dodd will elect for Wales come World Cup.

11 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Smith and Dodd are exciting talents for both club and country. As for Hanley I just hope his name doesn’t put too much pressure on him.

10 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

At Leeds we’ve got Tom Holroyd, Jack Broadbent, Sam Walters and Callum Mclelland who could all have a great futures in the game. 

Heard nothing but good things about broadbent by Leeds fans who watch the academy sides and Holroyd stood out for England u18’s against the Aussies in 2018.

How rookie do we mean?

For me it's a player who's not played any serious amount of first team.

The three at Wakefield who look possibilities are.

Oliie Greensmith, 20, Centre, England U19, absolute giant, 6'5'' and 17 stone!

Ysuf Aydin, 20, Prop, played for Yorkshire, Turkey. 6'1'' 16 stone (for now)

Dane Windrow, 18, Back row, 6' 2'' 16 stone

Harry Bowes, 18 Hooker, nippy and aggressive.

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

How rookie do we mean?

For me it's a player who's not played any serious amount of first team.

The three at Wakefield who look possibilities are.

Oliie Greensmith, 20, Centre, England U19, absolute giant, 6'5'' and 17 stone!

Ysuf Aydin, 20, Prop, played for Yorkshire, Turkey. 6'1'' 16 stone (for now)

Dane Windrow, 18, Back row, 6' 2'' 16 stone

Harry Bowes, 18 Hooker, nippy and aggressive.

Brad Walker with those you have highlighted

10 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Heard nothing but good things about broadbent by Leeds fans who watch the academy sides and Holroyd stood out for England u18’s against the Aussies in 2018.

Sam Walters was a stand-out in Widnes academy (not least because of his height) and also in England Academy's 3-0 series win over the Australian Schoolboys. You'd think Rhyse Martin and Stevie Ward would be first choice in second row, though, with Alex Mellor next in line, so injuries might determine how much game time he gets at Leeds. Leeds have done a good job in signing up a good portion of that England Academy line-up. 

10 minutes ago, JonM said:

Sam Walters was a stand-out in Widnes academy (not least because of his height) and also in England Academy's 3-0 series win over the Australian Schoolboys. You'd think Rhyse Martin and Stevie Ward would be first choice in second row, though, with Alex Mellor next in line, so injuries might determine how much game time he gets at Leeds. Leeds have done a good job in signing up a good portion of that England Academy line-up. 

He could be closer up the pecking order than you think what with stevie ward retired.

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

He could be closer up the pecking order than you think what with stevie ward retired.

Yes, forgotten about his concussion issues. Bit of a changing of the guard in the back row for the Rhinos in the last couple of years with JJB & Ablett finishing in 2019.

6 minutes ago, JonM said:

Yes, forgotten about his concussion issues. Bit of a changing of the guard in the back row for the Rhinos in the last couple of years with JJB & Ablett finishing in 2019.

If given time the Leeds rhinos look like they could be a force in 2-3 years time. Maybe even dominate both league and cup.

11 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Smith and Dodd are exciting talents for both club and country. As for Hanley I just hope his name doesn’t put too much pressure on him.

I agree that Dodd and Smith are outstanding half back talents.  Who knows what their development will look like but they have the potential to be an international pair.

After some lean years we seem to be producing some excellent half backs and we have always been good at developing 9's.  What I can't see at the moment is a set of quality full backs coming through and this is the one position in the modern game where we seem to be a long way behind Australia (hence my Hanley comment who may solidify as a full back).

It is a real pity for the likes of Dodd and Hanley that the 2020 Academy tour to Australia fell foul of the pandemic.  I would have loved to have seen how they went over there.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I agree that Dodd and Smith are outstanding half back talents.  Who knows what their development will look like but they have the potential to be an international pair.

After some lean years we seem to be producing some excellent half backs and we have always been good at developing 9's.  What I can't see at the moment is a set of quality full backs coming through and this is the one position in the modern game where we seem to be a long way behind Australia (hence my Hanley comment who may solidify as a full back).

It is a real pity for the likes of Dodd and Hanley that the 2020 Academy tour to Australia fell foul of the pandemic.  I would have loved to have seen how they went over there.

Seems like we say this every 5 years or so with a new influx of young talent coming into the game but we have some exciting talent coming through in every position including the key pivotal roles like fullback and halfback.

12 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Seems like we say this every 5 years or so with a new influx of young talent coming into the game but we have some exciting talent coming through in every position including the key pivotal roles like fullback and halfback.

Who would you rate as the outstanding candidates for the fullback position? 

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Heard of Rushton and hodgson. Who’s ratuva?

Some Union chap. TBH not sure he'll make a game. I've accidently seen him score a few Onion tries, and looks like a bit of a finisher. Just interested to see if and how he gets on, if at all; particularly as he's a "rookie" but I think 30 🙂

10 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Bailey hodgson.

jack welsby.

herbie farnworth.

I haven't seen anything of Hodgson so can't really comment.

I am sure that Farnworth has the talent for full back but I am not sure we will see him there.  All the Queensland Cup highlights I have seen on him he has been on the wing and for the Broncos he is either a wing or centre.  From what I have seen so far, I think centre will be his best position.

Welsby did well for England Academy against the Aussies at full back... again, not sure how much time he will get at Saints at 1 though. We will see.

13 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Bailey hodgson.

jack welsby.

herbie farnworth.

I do hope Farnworth develops into a fullback.

Until we get a decent English 1, 6, 7 and 9.. or at least 3 of those, playing consistently in the NRL I don't think we'll be placed to sneak the odd win against the ozzies for years to come.

Hopefully Hodgson junior can develop into a halfback too ?

8 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Some Union chap. TBH not sure he'll make a game. I've accidently seen him score a few Onion tries, and looks like a bit of a finisher. Just interested to see if and how he gets on, if at all; particularly as he's a "rookie" but I think 30 🙂

Says he’s 21 on his warriors profile page?

9 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Says he’s 21 on his warriors profile page?

He can't be surely... unless I'm getting confused (which happens!) I thought I saw him play pro12 years ago. And in NZ Onion?

I'll check. There's a distinct possibility I'm getting my Ratuvas mixed up!

21 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

He can't be surely... unless I'm getting confused (which happens!) I thought I saw him play pro12 years ago. And in NZ Onion?

I'll check. There's a distinct possibility I'm getting my Ratuvas mixed up!

His name is junior Ratuva?

Came through the Melbourne storm junior setup in 2018.

Archived