Rugby League in the US

So after a number of seasons of it feeling like the game was 'treading water' a bit, it feels like Rugby League in the US is set to explode in 2021, with the country set to enjoy possibly the most significant period of growth since the Jacksonville Axemen helped establish the Southern Conference.

Kicking off the growth is the announcement that the South Florida Speed will join the Premier competition, bringing the national competition to 12 teams and providing some nice balance between the North and South Conferences.

We then have significant opportunities coming off the back of the formation of Masters, Women and Wheelchair affiliate leagues which, if nothing else, are helping solidify the code around some of the existing clubs.

The USA Masters, which is predominantly based out of the South East, will feature four teams initially, with these being:

• Jacksonville Axemen
  • Mid-Atlantic Reapers
  • Orlando Gators
  • Tampa Mayhem

The USA Women's Rugby League will be running a Nines circuit, starting in Tampa Bay and featuring at least the Mayhem and Speed, on May 15, with legs scheduled for Los Angeles (June 12), Salt Lake City (July 10th) and Chicago (August 20); whilst the US Wheelchair Rugby League is hosting Combines in South Carolina.

Outside of the established structures on the East, there is encouraging signs throughout the rest of the country with the highlight being the California Rugby League's six team competition featuring:

• East Palo Alto Razorbacks
  • Los Angeles Mongrel
  • San Francisco Savage
  • Sacramento Young Tigers
  • Sacramento Immortals
  • North Bay Bandits

You then have the Salem club being formed in Oregon, the continued work being done in Cleveland and the Mid-West, plus the Vermont based Queen City Royals floating about.

Now I'm sure there is stuff I'm missing, but to me this is all really encouraging and hopefully will lead to a period of solid and consistent growth of the sport.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

2 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

So after a number of seasons of it feeling like the game was 'treading water' a bit, it feels like Rugby League in the US is set to explode in 2021,

Mate given your knowledge of the game that`s a pretty exciting statement, do you think there is a chance of anyone with a bit of money getting involved.

I was actually thinking earlier in the week of asking you how preparations for Pacific Treize were advancing, I`ve got a really good feeling about that and with the links to France could be a shot in the arm for them as well especially if Treize go well in the Qld Cup there might be players in there who could fill a couple of spots in the French national side and add a bit of depth. Do you think that is possible.

3 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

So after a number of seasons of it feeling like the game was 'treading water' a bit, it feels like Rugby League in the US is set to explode in 2021, with the country set to enjoy possibly the most significant period of growth since the Jacksonville Axemen helped establish the Southern Conference.

Kicking off the growth is the announcement that the South Florida Speed will join the Premier competition, bringing the national competition to 12 teams and providing some nice balance between the North and South Conferences.

We then have significant opportunities coming off the back of the formation of Masters, Women and Wheelchair affiliate leagues which, if nothing else, are helping solidify the code around some of the existing clubs.

The USA Masters, which is predominantly based out of the South East, will feature four teams initially, with these being:

• Jacksonville Axemen
  • Mid-Atlantic Reapers
  • Orlando Gators
  • Tampa Mayhem

The USA Women's Rugby League will be running a Nines circuit, starting in Tampa Bay and featuring at least the Mayhem and Speed, on May 15, with legs scheduled for Los Angeles (June 12), Salt Lake City (July 10th) and Chicago (August 20); whilst the US Wheelchair Rugby League is hosting Combines in South Carolina.

Outside of the established structures on the East, there is encouraging signs throughout the rest of the country with the highlight being the California Rugby League's six team competition featuring:

• East Palo Alto Razorbacks
  • Los Angeles Mongrel
  • San Francisco Savage
  • Sacramento Young Tigers
  • Sacramento Immortals
  • North Bay Bandits

You then have the Salem club being formed in Oregon, the continued work being done in Cleveland and the Mid-West, plus the Vermont based Queen City Royals floating about.

Now I'm sure there is stuff I'm missing, but to me this is all really encouraging and hopefully will lead to a period of solid and consistent growth of the sport.

Wasn’t there some noise about Texas RL?

Interesting name for one of the clubs in there: `Fight Rugby League`. 

When I first looked at their picture I thought they were holding their fists up to the camera, I thought here we go, but on closer inspection and with my glasses on I realised they were holding 4 fingers up, so I gather they`ve won 4 of something.😉😉

14 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Interesting name for one of the clubs in there: `Fight Rugby League`. 

When I first looked at their picture I thought they were holding their fists up to the camera, I thought here we go, but on closer inspection and with my glasses on I realised they were holding 4 fingers up, so I gather they`ve won 4 of something.😉😉

Could have had their thumbs bitten off. It`s a tough old game.

BTW, both of the last two Tarsha Gale Cup games I`ve watched featured a biting allegation. Followed by all the procedure of ground manager coming on, photographs, etc. Also seen several hair-pulls. Does all rather play into stereotypes of girl fights.

6 hours ago, fighting irish said:

C'mon on U.S.A! Great news, keep growing.

I'd like to see them link up with Canada to create another conference. There's talk on another thread about a Canadian league starting so that could become a conference in its own right or combine with some clubs in the Midwest to form a conference

Archived